Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Oh No - Not Tires

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by abbienormal, Jun 4, 2014.

1. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I wondered if the 120-70 would further improve the handling. I like the Avon’s on the custom. You can run them aggressively right to the edge. I wonder if we could find someone that makes a 17” rear wheel for this bike.

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Short cheap answer, no. Can it be done(?), yes. I laced a set of wheels for our friend Nat as shown below. 3.5x18 & 5.5x17 aluminum rims sealed to run tubeless Sport-Touring radials. Set is $2200 or so as shown with stainless spokes and nipples. The shocks shown are 20mm longer than stock also, making the tire appear shorter and the tire gap larger. It was amazing in this configuration.

7EA4F214-3BDF-44D2-A7EB-33EB1EDCE26F.jpeg

Quattroa4m and groundhog105 like this.
  3. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I really like those Todd. How are they sealed?

4. Mark Fechtel

Mark Fechtel Just got it firing!

I replaced my original OEM tires on my 2014 California at 7000 miles with Bridgestone Exedras, since they were a little less expensive than some of the other options. I have put 3000 miles on them now and they still look almost new; maybe a trace of flattening in the center, but no unusual left side wear that I experienced on the old front tire. I have no complaints about handling and grip, but then again I'm not a knee dragger. Hoping to get 12-15K miles on this set. They appear to be a good option for those who want a good high mileage tire. I put about 5K miles a year on this bike, so I'll post more updates as the tires get more miles on them.

5. Davetac1

Davetac1 Tuned and Synch'ed

The Bridgestone Excedra's handled well,but were the lowest mileage tires I had used to date on my Triumph,hence no bargain. However,my Tbird SE also has a curb of 812 lbs.,where I believe the Guzzi has a curb of around 750 lbs. which may or may not make a difference. But trial and error is how I came up with the tires I'm currently using on my Tbird. which is Avon's AV71 on the front,and the Dunlop AE on the rear. Dave!!!

6. mrvman

mrvman Just got it firing!

2 -1/2 Years, and right at 10,000 miles later: My rear tire is finally worn down to the tread wear indicators.
    My main riding is commuting to/from work, about 30 miles each way, in the Dallas-Fort Worth Texas area.

I decided to replace both front and rear tires as a set with the ME880 Marathon tires, due to arrive in a couple of days:
    Front - $168.88
    Rear - $188.88
    Again, prices are as of this quote @ https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com

I'll post updates as they become relevant.

7. Chet Van Aken

Chet Van Aken Tuned and Synch'ed

I got 9000 miles out of the stock Dunlop Rear and now have almost 10,000 miles now on the Exedra Max. Still a was to go to the tread wear indicators and is holding it shape well. Mostly riding solo and pressures set to factory spec.

8. Robert Gibson

Robert Gibson Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

10000kms OEM Dunlops toast after predominantly two up non highway use. Based on reviews on the forum I decided to replace them with Avon Cobras (€325 for the pair shipped from the mainland), quoted in excess of €600 from a local tyre supplier. My go to Bridgestone dealer didn't get back to me with a price for Excedras so his loss, however he only charged €40 for fitting and balancing the Avons (loose wheel).
    Took the opportunity to ditch the plastic shroud surrounding the shaft fill/drain points and replaced the shaft oil while the wheel was off, for the sake of the quantity of oil I intend to change the oil at the same interval as the engine/gearbox oil changes.
    Have always used Bridgestone or Metzeler in the past on various bikes so we shall see how these pan out.

Attached Files:

John L likes this.
  9. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

Doesn't the manual show a 20,000 mile oil change increment for the rear drive?

10. Robert Gibson

Yes I believe it does and most take the opportunity to change the oil when the wheel is off for tyre replacement, but for the quantity of oil it can't do any harm.

11. Robert Gibson

Yes I believe it does and most take the opportunity to change the oil when the wheel is off for tyre replacement, but for the quantity of oil it can't do any harm.

12. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

I agree with your practice. Just didn't want anyone get the idea that it was a manufacturer's requirement that the oil be changed with every tire change.

13. Mike Tryon

Mike Tryon Just got it firing!

I have been running Metzler 888s and they are pretty darn good tires.

14. Vintagehoarder

Vintagehoarder Tuned and Synch'ed

Completely agreed transformed my 1400 touring

15. chrisjoffe

chrisjoffe Just got it firing!

5000 miles on the Avon Cobras and still loving them. No appreciable wear yet.

16. mrvman

mrvman Just got it firing!

Quick update: I replaced the tires a week ago, Saturday (April 29) with the odometer indicating a total of 11,520 miles on the tires being replaced.

17. just James

just James Tuned and Synch'ed

Would a MT90B-16 be the same as a 200/60-16?

18. LuftWolf

LuftWolf Tuned and Synch'ed

The MT90B-16 is Harley-Davidson Bias Ply touring tire and is 130/90-16 in metric size.

19. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

In other words, he's comparing a front tyre with a rear one?

20. LuftWolf

LuftWolf Tuned and Synch'ed

That's what I initilly thought, but no... 130cc is 5.1" and it is listed as a rear tire.... for a Harley mind you.