Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Oh No - Not Tires

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by abbienormal, Jun 4, 2014.

1. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

I think I am going to go to the 180 rear tire for the next set.

Didier and Kevin Ballowe like this.
  2. Didier

Didier Cruisin' Guzzisti

It would have a better look for me because I find the rear tire too wide. If you try it let us know thanks.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  3. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

No maybe, it is. I did it on many C1400's starting back in 2014. It is worth the swap.

Didier likes this.
  4. Kevin Ballowe

Kevin Ballowe Tuned and Synch'ed

OK

120 or 130 on the front ?

5. Smartleynz

Smartleynz Tuned and Synch'ed

120 Pilot road 4 or 5 front, 180 Avon Cobra rear.......... bloody good.

groundhog105 likes this.
  6. just James

just James Tuned and Synch'ed

6,000 miles on it so far.
    I like it.
    I didn't think to measure the tread depth when it was new, but I really can't detect any significant wear so far.
    195/65-16 20200529_170207.jpg 20200529_170300.jpg

kirkkw and Glimwas like this.
  7. SheikRamzi

SheikRamzi Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Are there any issues I should be concerned about with replacing the stock tires with Bias ply tires? Looking at trying Michelin Commander 3’s with a 180/65 rear.

8. James Chance

James Chance Cruisin' Guzzisti

Things can get pretty hairy pretty quickly on an Interstate in any kind of steady rain with a slick tire. Front OR rear. That's one very good reason. Maybe nothing to worry about if you live in Arizona... ;-)

9. Robebop

Robebop Tuned and Synch'ed

I recently put on a set of Commander3's, they feel very planted and give you great confidence when leaning, I really like them

10. SheikRamzi

SheikRamzi Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Any issues getting the 180 rear installed vs the stock 200?

11. Robebop

Robebop Tuned and Synch'ed

No issues at all, great tyres! (fitted to a'14 eldorado BTW)

12. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

Jesus ! I thought it was a truck tire.

234252F5-C5F6-4193-8220-CC25D4442544.jpeg

Nice "powder coated" rim

roadventure likes this.
  13. just James

just James Tuned and Synch'ed

It IS a truck tire.
    And yeah, I have a half mile gravel driveway. Gave up trying to keep the rear wheel clean long ago.

14. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

I find that look on the Honda gives me street Cred, a clean dirt bike would make me a poser , but I do knock the chunks of mud off.
    They let me ride this walking trail through the park :rofl:

Attached Files:

15. Skip Stauber

Skip Stauber Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Replaced my worn out Dunlops at 5435 miles. Just put on a set of stock size Bridgestone Exedra Max Rs. Not comparing brands, but what a noticeable difference, now the bike just wants to fall into the curves with predictable tracking. They are a harder compound than the Dunlops so I'll have to see if they come close to having as much bite. I do have to say that they feel better then the Commander 2s which are bias ply.

16. James Chance

It's actually quite a bit easier to get into position...

17. James Chance

I did the 200 to 180 swap last summer. I went from an Avon Cobra to a Dunlop Elite (I think). Anyway, made a noticeable difference in the way the bike handles (sorry, I've got a 2014 Cali1400 Custom). Also sped up the indicated speed a whopping 10 mph at an indicated 80mph (GPS said 70-71). It also sped up steering input quite a bit. Almost to the point of feeling "twitchy" up above 80mph (real). For a touring bike, particularly with two up, it very well might be an improvement. But with my generally non-touring, single rider mode, I'm not real sure I like it, as the bike handles very responsively already for a 700lb behemoth. I may very well go back to the 200 on the next tire change, just to make sure it's an improvement to me. The smaller tire DID make a good 15 minute improvement in mounting time, and I didn't have to do anything funny with moving the brake caliper/rear shock out of the way. Like I had to do to get the big Avon off the bike.

Your mileage may vary... ;-)

PaulDavies likes this.
  18. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

James,

Did you re-calibrate the speedo? (I think we can do this....)

Also, the comment about not needing to remove the brake caliper is very helpful. Anything that helps with the complicated rear wheel removal/install process is a plus.

19. Robert Gibson

Robert Gibson High Miler GT Contributor

Personally speaking I thought the original Dunlop’s were sh1te. Avon Cobra’s far superior imho. Didn’t fanny about changing sizes as had I got pulled by local plod it would have resulted in a fine and and also wouldn’t have passed the transport inspection.

20. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I think the rear brake caliper will still have to removed (or at least pushed to one side), since it is attached to the wheel axle which obviously needs to come out to remove the wheel