• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

My experience with Dunlap fronts is they cup fast (BMW K bike). At 2,300 mi on my Cali Custom I can see cupping on the front. I ride hard on mountain roads but the Cali is handles well until the floor boards scape and Guzzi boasts about its handle inns. Tires should support the marketing. I'll be fitting Metzler's to replace the Doglaps.

Metzler recommended tyres
2158100 ME 130/70 VR 18 Marathon
1307500 ME 200/60 VR 16 Marathon

Regards

Tuono

I've got 19000 on my 1400T and changed the dunlop rear out at around 9000, and the front out at 10000. I'm about at the end of the Bridgestone tire life on the rear, but that was with some Bunkhouse trailer towing, so I'm not complaining at all. I'll probably still push for a few more miles out of the rear. The front is still looking pretty good, but may changed then out at the same time. I've got another set of Bridgestone's sitting in the garage waiting. I easily like then as well or better than the dunlop's, and they are much cheaper to replace. I'll update mileage figures when I change the tires out.

Metzler recommended tyres
2158100 ME 130/70 VR 18 Marathon
1307500 ME 200/60 VR 16 Marathon

Regards

Tuono

Thanks Touono! I just put these Metzler MR880s on my Cal 1400. My immediate first impression is that the bike steers lighter and more precisely than with Dunlops. Feels like it lost a hundred pounds.

I have only a few hundred miles on the new tires, so I can't speak to their longevity. However, I got great mileage with ME880s on my Cal Vintage. Plenty of tread left at 8000 miles when I sold it. Much better than the OEM Metzlers (can't remember the model) that came on the Cal Vin; they were shot at 5000 miles.

Metzler recently introduced a new model -- the ME888 Ultra -- that is supposed to provide even greater longevity on heavy machines. However, they do not yet have it in 200/60 16. I called Metzler and was told "not in 2015" so I went with the 880s.

I will post an update around 5000 miles.

In September I finally gave up waiting for the Dunlop 251 front to show up and bought a Dunlop Elite 3. I had thought that since it was an OEM replacement for the Goldwings there wouldn't be any load/performance issues and had hoped that since it was the same manufacturer as the back that it would work. Net, net - I really don't like the way it feels during spirited riding. The big Cali just doesn't seem to fall into the curves as smoothly with the Elite 3 as it did with the 251. It's wearing pretty well, but I'll replace it when the time comes to replace the rear.

I guess I'm one of the few that liked the way the OEM 251s worked on my Custom. My big complaint is the rear was toast after 6,000 miles and the front had a funny cupping. But the first 5,000 miles were great.

I've had what I thought was driveline howl, but now I've decided it is the tires. At 70mph on the freeway, any slight bend which causes the bike to lean results in an annoying howl. I've got about 5,500 miles on the Cali and the rear tire is looking worn to me (in the center). Any thoughts on what is a good replacement--stay with stock or change brands?

...Any thoughts on what is a good replacement--stay with stock or change brands?
I switched to Metzler ME880s and am very pleased with the handling and ride. Steering feels lighter than with the OEM Dunlops. Seems like they will outlast the Dunlops too

For lots more discussion on tires, there is a thread called "On No, Not Tires" in this Cal 1400 Forum.

I switched to Metzler ME880s and am very pleased with the handling and ride. Steering feels lighter than with the OEM Dunlops. Seems like they will outlast the Dunlops too

For lots more discussion on tires, there is a thread called "On No, Not Tires" in this Cal 1400 Forum.

Thanks Longrider, I've just ordered a Metzler for the rear from SLO Motorsports. I think it is more expensive than the runflats on my BMW Z-4! It took me forever to find "Oh No, Not Tires". The search function just didn't want to find it.

I merged these threads, and made it so it'll remain at the top.

Not sure on how long they will last but after the OEM Dunlops I went with the ME880's and now Avon Cobra. I almost always change both at once. I just finished a 1,700 mile trip and no complaints so far on the Avons. Metzlers were better than Dunlops but not much better mileage.

How would you compare the Avon to Metzler? As a side note had a TS90 put the racing kit in it loud pipey but fun..blew up a lot...LOL

So far handling at least as good and rain grip seems fine. Hard to tell as it is all memory and I am becoming a slower rider as I age but going through WV I ran the Avons over till the rear chicken strips were about 1/4" wide. I don't think I got them that narrow on the Metzlers. The front tire looked like I had hardly leaned over. I held 75mph in the rain on I77 in WV and OH with no hint of hydroplaning.

My tire of choice is the Bridgestone Exedra Max Cruiser and Touring Tire, matched set front and rear. I almost had my tires replaced when I purchased my 1400-T but did not, big mistake. Photo shows the OEM Dunlop rear after 1,338 miles, 70mph, I-95 Florida, not fun.

View attachment 7177 View attachment 7178 View attachment 7179
I just replaced my rear tire on my 1400-T at 6,000 easy miles. The tread wear indicators were showing. I put on a Metzler and my first impression is that it rides a little stiffer than the Dunlop. I don't ride hard enough to test grip. I just noticed that the original tires on my Triumph America are Metslers--I never paid any attention before. They seem to be fine at 6,500 miles, but the bike is 200 lbs lighter than the 1400-T.

The Avon,AV71,and AV72,respectively,should work very well on your bike.Also,Dunlop has a new series called the American Elite ,designed for the HD,which also should work quite well.I have run both brands on the current bike I have,a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird SE,and had VERY good luck with both regarding handling and especially, MILEAGE.So there's a couple more choices that ya might wanna consider.Plus,I believe the Tbird is heavier then the California,weighing in at 812 lbs. curb,plus the accessories I've added. Dave!!!

Last edited:
Regarding the above picture of the tire deteriorated on the inside,it's possible[probable] that the tire was old and caused the problem.On the side wall of every MC tire made,there is an oblong indent,about 1/4" wide and a couple inches long ,with some letters and numbers stamped in it.The last four digits [numbers] in that indent signify the week and year that the tire was manufactured.For example,if the last four numbers were 1913,that means the tire was manufactured in the 19th week of 2013.Or if the numbers were 5211,that means the tire was manufactured in the last [52nd] week of 2011.Follow me??So ya wanna check these things when ya buy or have a tire installed by your friendly stealer to make SURE that it's NOT a real OLD tire.The older it is,the greater the chances are of the tire failing.And now that ya know that,and if ya don't mind me askin,what were the numbers[digits] stamped on the tire in question shown above??? In the first picture,you can see the indent I'm referring to [just to the bottom right as you're looking at the picture]but I can't make out the digits stamped in it. Dave!!!

Last edited:
I have about 5600+ miles on the stock tires. I'm planning a 3000 mile trip from NY to FLA. Should I change them now when I bring the bike in for the 6000 mile service check or what?

Back