• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

So I finally burned through my first Shinko 777 180/65-16 and I got a little over 7000 miles out of it. Very happy considering it's half the price of most other tires ($160). Handling and traction has been great both dry and wet. I also have the 777 on the front now and equally impressed at $130.
Where do you buy these tires, I usually go to Rocky Mtn ATV for tires but they don't show those sizes available, thanks

I am assuming these are bias ply or do they come in radials too, all I have found is the B code

I runs Shinko 009 on my Triumph Tiger and love them

Last edited:
The beads do not work. Pure Gimmick.

Try and find anybody who races that uses them…you won’t.

I refuse to work on any tire with them installed at my workshop. They are FORBIDDEN.

It is impossible to get all of those bastards out of the tire before you break the bead loose.

The worst fall I ever had was I slipped on those bastards on my concrete floor of my workshop.

Hate hate hate them. 🤮😡🤯

Last edited:
The beads do not work. Pure Gimmick.

Try and find anybody who races that uses them…you won’t.
Well... they don't use turn signals either... BMWs don't use them even on the roads...🤣
I hear ya, your wisdom is worth more then gold but at the same time I have sm mixed feelings... I'm drooling at them Kineo spoked wheels and sm nice Mitchelin Road 6 shoes to go with (I know, I have to sell my kids and my kidneys first), and If I'll have to put a fugly blob on one I'll have a jammer and cry like watching Coco... it's the only movie I cry watching, and it's not even a movie, a bloody cartoon...

Some things are necessary. Wheel weights are one of them. There are really high-end nice ones, and cheap ass fugly ones.

I hear what you are saying but the balancing beads are still a gimmick and snake oil if you ask me.

rideapart.com/reviews/254107/dyna-beads-miracle-balancing-cure-or-tire-snake-oil/amp/

Last edited:
Maybe a bonehead/obvious Tire question.
The Pirelli Angel GTs that my new to me Sept 3rd Norge 8v came with have angled off, rather noticeably on the rear, although not to the wear bars yet. Front seems fairly ok but still also a bit angled. Also, date stamps on them are 2012 and 2014. I have a ride around NS and Cape Breton coming up in Oct, so should go with confidence.? Have a look, I suspect they're toast but I'm a frugal bastard...

IMG 3557 IMG 3558 IMG 3560

The Pirelli Angel GTs that my new to me Sept 3rd Norge 8v came with have angled off, rather noticeably on the rear, although not to the wear bars yet. Front seems fairly ok but still also a bit angled. Also, date stamps on them are 2012 and 2014. I have a ride around NS and Cape Breton coming up in Oct, so should go with confidence.? Have a look, I suspect they're toast but I'm a frugal bastard...

Change them out and don't worry about them, if you ride with those you will have to constantly keep looking at the rear. Don't be too frugal with your safety and peace of mind

Going to Guzzi dealer in Ft. Meyers. I hope we make it!!!
It is amazing everyone tells you to change them but that's not what you want to hear.So why ask when you are going to risk it anyhow?No one has heard from you since 2018 I am guessing you did not quite make it.

i am wondering if that was caused by low pressure and the tire Cupping, no pressure on the center, so you would be riding on the edges ?
I’d thought the same, each tire was down about 6 lbs. Went to proper pressures soon after I got the bike. Even at the tire’s age, there are no weather cracks or other nasty signs… treads are still deep - but I’m putting new rubber on for the trip.

Last edited:
I got a Flat Rear tire while out on the Honda drove it back 10Km on a VERY Low but stiff tire -

At any Mph is it Fun to Blow a Tire :cry: I think NOT !
I'm down 150$ and have peace of Mind and it has a Brand New Tire / Tube and Rim tape
( That only 10$ US or Euros )

View attachment 26745View attachment 26746View attachment 26747
Exact same issue on a Bellagio, Pirelli Angel GT and GT II's.
Destroys handling especially at low speed.

A bit of info on tyres that I have had on the Eldo over the past seven and a half years. The original Dunlops felt ok, mileage 11,200kms. Replaced with Metzler 888 Marathons, always felt a bit uneasy on wet roads running these, mileage 15,200kms. Replaced with Avon Cobras, great tyre in wet and dry, mileage 13,600kms. Replaced with Avon Cobra Chromes, again good feel wet and dry but maybe a bit softer than the original Cobras, mileage 11,300kms. Had a further 2 pairs of these, mileage 10,700 and 9,600kms (changed early before a big trip). The Avon's weren't available for the next change otherwise I would have stayed with them, I rate them very highly, the only ones available in sizes for the Eldo were the Michelin Commander 3's so I went with them. Handling and grip in dry or wet were pretty much on par with the Avon's so I was interested to see how they compared on mileage. All the tyres before them had worn pretty evenly front and rear and were replaced as pairs but the Michelin's are the only time I have ever worn out a front tyre before the rear, I'm guessing it must be a softer compound compared to the rear. But that being said it has lasted 14,000kms and is just down to the wear marks, the rear is still looking good and when I called into the tyre shop today to order a new front he reckons there is probably 7 to 8,000kms still in the rear tyre, making it good for 20,000km+and they have both kept their shape really well. Price is comparable with the Avon,s maybe even a little cheaper. Worth a try if you are looking for a high mileage tyre.

Attachments

• michelin3.jpg
    michelin3.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Michelin2.jpg
    Michelin2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 5
Just got back from putting 3,300 miles in rain, dry, highway and back roads around the Cabot Trail on my new Metzlers. I can see some flat spotting on the rear. Front looks good but looking at it and past experience with tires I'll bet it is cupping by 7,000 miles which is what I hope to get out of the rear. Then I'll change both again. I was definitely easy on them as I never scraped the plastic sliders on the floorboards. I had confidence in the tires in the rain with no problems.
For reference I got 4,200 out of the stock tires and was satisfied with the ride and traction but short life and what I perceive as a handling improvement with the Metzlers says no more Dunlops on my Cali. They may have had at best another 1,000 miles on them but the trip and a nail in the rear determined they had to go.
My experience with tires includes not only my own bikes over the years but 20 years working at a Honda motorcycle dealer, long ago 1973-1993, and selling many tires. Dunlops used to be my favorite till about the time the 391 came out. I have tried them several times since and always regretted it. Just my opinion on tires as we all know nobody will agree on what to run.
I'll be curious if anybody runs the GoldWing tire combo. Might work and maybe last.
Mine is 50,000 on a 2013....and has Avon Cobra Chrome on it...it is a recent acquisition...my 6th Guzzi
I covered 100,000 miles in 15 countries on three Victory bikes....all if which had Avon Cobras fitted and I was very happy with the grip...and wear...usually 6 to 7000 miles from rears and around 8,000 from the front tyre

Tyres have been fine on the California...Lees so the rear caliper which is destroyed...it stuck on the disc and broke in two...dealer is replacing it with a reconditioned unit and a new disc
Regards

Robert Lyford-Smith

All this is well and good, but Cobra Chrome has been very hard to come by in the US lately. I ended up having to go with the Metzelers (hoping the traction and rain performance are good!).

Sadly Cooper Avon tyre plant is closing at the end of 2023...based in Melksham in the UK since 1904....factory will close with the loss of 350 jobs....no more Avon....

Sadly Cooper Avon tyre plant is closing at the end of 2023...based in Melksham in the UK since 1904....factory will close with the loss of 350 jobs....no more Avon....
Are they going out of business, or just moving to Asia for manufacturing?

Back