• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

I only know that the UK factory is going to close....no indication as to what will happen next..but they have not been profitable for some years

I just replaced the stock Dunlops with ME888s.

About 5K (miles) out of the stockers.

I wanted to try the Avons, but I couldn't find anybody who had 'em.

I have the Metzelers on my Rocket III Touring, and they're fine. They
seem to last about 6K (miles) on that bike, and in 30K I've found the
front is ALWAYS toast before the rear....

-Strez

I've been preaching this here since late 2014 on the 6.0" rear rim. Magical transformation.
Hello, Im a new owner of the California 2013 Touring, and have difficulties finding tires. The 180 you mentioned, are 60R16? Or what exactly?? Ths

Hello, Im a new owner of the California 2013 Touring, and have difficulties finding tires. The 180 you mentioned, are 60R16? Or what exactly?? Ths
Depends on the brand. Some only offer 60, some offer 65. Most of the ones we've done are 65s (Honda Goldwing tire spec).

I just replaced the stock Dunlops with ME888s.

About 5K (miles) out of the stockers.

I wanted to try the Avons, but I couldn't find anybody who had 'em.

I have the Metzelers on my Rocket III Touring, and they're fine. They
seem to last about 6K (miles) on that bike, and in 30K I've found the
front is ALWAYS toast before the rear....

-Strez
-Stez
How the heck do you 30k out of a metzler 888 on a Rocket 3 rear tyre ?
On my California Custom I get around 3.75 k on a rear Metzler 888 200/60 R16 M/C 79V
The front Metzler 888 130/70 R 18 M/C 63H has about 10k, looks like it will be good for another 4k.

I really like how the Cali Custom handles with me 888's.

-Stez
How the heck do you 30k out of a metzler 888 on a Rocket 3 rear tyre ?
On my California Custom I get around 3.75 k on a rear Metzler 888 200/60 R16 M/C 79V
The front Metzler 888 130/70 R 18 M/C 63H has about 10k, looks like it will be good for another 4k.

I really like how the Cali Custom handles with me 888's.
You misunderstand, sir - 32K ON THE ROCKET - 6Kish on a rear tire. :)

Man - if I could get 30K out of a rear tire that's decent in the rain............. LOL!

On the big Cali, the rear is is getting a little worn in the middle after 2K or 3K.
The front doesn't look like it's wearing much at all right now. I'm predicting the
rear will be gone in 5K; the front might last double that. We'll see.

-Strez

The Avon Cobra chrome are very very very good .
I'm on my 2nd set of tires, and they have fantastic handling, including in the wet.

The Avon Cobra chrome are very very very good .
I'm on my 2nd set of tires, and they have fantastic handling, including in the wet.
Can you describe how you ride? I wonder what happens when Avon shuts down the UK factory that makes those tires?

Maybe a stupid question: If the factory spec for a given model mc (like the 1400 Touring) is radial tires, what's the risk/reward for going with Bias ply replacement tires instead?

Maybe a stupid question: If the factory spec for a given model mc (like the 1400 Touring) is radial tires, what's the risk/reward for going with Bias ply replacement tires instead?

1. Copy and paste link into browser.

2. Read

3. Feel intelligent.

dunlopmotorcycletires.com/about/bias-vs-radial-motorcycle-tires/

For what it's worth I like the Pirelli A spec on the rear because it's basically a radial with 2 cross plus added.
Why?
Because it's specifically designed to carry weight and with a Cali 1400 designed for touring you bet that you have a significant rear weight bias, high torque pulses with a twin and let's face it, high speeds aren't really it's forte.
In this state the A spec is coined the Police Special due to its ability to extend life when constantly carrying radios, batteries, etc.
Are there even any purely cross tyres or are they all hybrids as described above?

Last edited:
Hello all! I purchased a 2018 California touring last year that has around 4k miles on it. It still has the original dunlop tires. Part of my hang up on purchasing the bike was I did not completely trust the tires due to their age so I was offered half off on new tires this spring. I would like to replace the tires but not sure what some good ones are. I trust this dealership but I'd rather not just let them choose for me. Price is not a concern for me when picking tires. I am willing to spend more to ensure safe smooth tires. Any recommendations help as I could not find anything on the C1400 forums.

I purchased a 2018 California touring last year that has around 4k miles on it. It still has the original dunlop tires.
Merged with this tire thread. As the paragraphs at the top of every page note, ALWAYS try a search before starting a new thread. Start from the beginning here.

Hello friends. I've had my California 1400 for 7 years now and around 9000 glorious miles. I love the fact that the rear seat is so comfy for my wife, and with 1400 the power is always there. We have ridden mainly in Southern Idaho. It does get hot summers so last couple of summers I didn't use it much but I have more time this year and plan for lots of miles heading into Colorado Rockies and up into Yellowstone before selling this and getting a lighter bike such as a V7 for next season.

Thank you Moto Guzzi for building motorcycles that are perfect for my style, ride, performance, etc. I have loved this machine.

Please can anyone suggest a good front and rear tire, as well as a good vendor? Locally I had good success with Birds Of Prey Motorsports, BTW, as they have serviced the bike without getting weird about it being a Guzzi, and they were really fair etc. So just putting that out there in case there are others in the area with a Guzzi, but in all the years I've had this I've only ever seen one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Please can anyone suggest a good front and rear tire
Please read the scrolling paragraphs at the top of every page. Most topics have been well covered here. I combined your post with this thread. Read from the beginning for opinions. Tire and oil threads are always endless and tiresome (no pun intended).

Hey
I've read through the last 12 pages and read one post about the speedo being off when going from a 200/60 to a 180/65. Is it a lot off??
Not a huge deal to me as I've ridden with three other bikers and none of us have ever agreed on how fast we were going tho the cop who stopped me two weeks ago clocked me at 72mph which was basically what I was doing.

Back