• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

Just got my first flat (rear tyre). Lucky I'm at home and have a motorcycle tyre shop just round the corner. Have found the screw buried in the tread . So I guess I have 2 choices? New tyre (only 2000km on the original tyre) or plug the tyre and get a tube. I bet the tyre shop will say a new tyre but is that going over the top?

I've ridden on plugged tires and never had a problem. Once I got a flat on the rear when I was with the wife in Virginia. Plugged it, rode 500 miles home on it and finished off the tire life with it.
It's up to you feeling comfortable with a repaired tire.

As long as the hole is some wheres in the middle of the tread [the part of the tire that contacts the roads' surface] and not on the sidewall or the extreme edge,you can plug and forget about it.I carry a plug kit and a small hand tire pump with me in my saddle bag at all times and have been pluggin tires [my own and others I've come across on the side of the road] for over 30 years and NEVER had a problem.However,if two or more plugs are needed,then the tire should be changed,but you can atleast keep goin [at a reasonable speed] and get home or to a shop, if need be!! Dave!!!

I had 1,862 miles on a new Avon rear when I found a horse shoe nail in it. Fortunately, like you, I saw it in my garage. Pulling it out the tire immediately went flat. I put a Stop and Go plug in it and some Ride On Tire Sealer. Currently 4,600+ miles on it with no leakage. I had forgotten about it till I read your post. These things eat rear tires like I devour a chocolate chip cookie. I was not about to toss an almost new tire.

I am looking at buying a set of Avon AV71 Cobra for the front of my 2015 Cali Tour. There are two similar sizes: 130/70 R18 63H and 63V.
What is the difference between 63H and 63V?

Found on the interweb ......

Note that modern tires are rated with a speed rating and load index. From Michelin: "This code, when present, appears after the size marking. The code comprises three characters: two numbers and a letter, for example, 67H. The two-digit number is a code for the maximum load carrying capacity of the tire. The letter is a maximum speed rating indicating the maximum speed at which the tire may be used with maximum load when the maximum listed inflation pressure is used."

Speed is in mph. Load carrying capacity is in "Load Units" which doesn't relate exactly to kg or lbs. The example given 67 is rated at 677 lbs but other L.I.s don't translate that easily.

See http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/tire-data.htm for more info.

In most cases, from what I have read, the H rating will give more miles as one of the tricks for a V rating is a thinner carcass and tread. I have H rated on mine and it looks like the Avons are going to win the mileage contest from the original Dunlops and the Metzler 888's. Both of those were under 6,000 miles. The Avons look like they'll go 7k.

You all win the prize:

63H & 63V is speed related
63H - up to 210 kph
63V - up to 240 kph

I ordered the Avons to replace the OEM tires.

The prize you ask? My eternal gratitude.

Cheers

I love the feel and grip of my Avons in both the dry and wet. I have about 4,000 miles on them and while the front looks like it is doing ok I am thinking 6,000 is going to be about it for the rear. Can't tell for sure though. Maybe they will do better. It sucks how short the life is with a 200 series tire on a low power cruiser. When I ran sport tires on my sport bikes and got 6,000 to 8,000 miles out of them while abusing them I understood. Yes the bike is heavier and spends more time straight up and down but this is terrible. Harley guys I know get 10k to 15k out of tires.
I put Metzler Karoo3's on my V-Strom and they will make almost 5k and they are basically a knobby.

You know Harley guys that have ridden 15K miles ?!

I was able to put a set of the below tires and sizes on my good friend Nat's C1400C earlier this week. The rear tire took a little help from a ratchet strap to get it to bead with the 6" rim. I guess we'll see how much life they offer, but as Nat below confirms the bike feels 100 lbs lighter, steers quicker and is far more neutral. I almost wish I still had mine to spend some real time on them. For SoCal'ers, I also stock the longer wearing Bridgestone Excedra Max in stock sizes for anyone needing a set.

Stock front tire size, and a 180/65-16 for the rear.
MCIITires

I'm Nat and I gotta say that changing to these tires has transformed the bike. It eliminated the under steer I was feeling before, I can ride more aggressively through the twisties without fear of touching down or dragging hard parts.
This is a good cheap upgrade for the bike.

Last edited:
I'm Nat and I gotta say that changing to these tires has transformed the bike. It eliminated the under steer I was feeling before, I can ride more aggressively through the twisties without fear of touching down or dragging hard parts.
This is a good cheap upgrade for the bike.

Which ones? The Commander II's?

Well, wore out my second rear Dunlop. Average mileage for the two was 5,900 miles. As mentioned in an earlier post I had Dunlop Elite 3 on the front - never, ever liked the way they felt.

Dunlops are now history, replaced with Avon Cobras. After the first 300 miles I'm pretty happy with them, especially the way they feel. We'll see how they hold up.

Well, wore out my second rear Dunlop. Average mileage for the two was 5,900 miles. As mentioned in an earlier post I had Dunlop Elite 3 on the front - never, ever liked the way they felt.

Dunlops are now history, replaced with Avon Cobras. After the first 300 miles I'm pretty happy with them, especially the way they feel. We'll see how they hold up.

MJPTexas...Have to agree. I have never been a fan of Dunlops...the feel always seems vague to me. Whether on the HD's, my old ZX9, or the Bandit 1250s, Dunlops just don't do it for me.
Now the Cali rides on the Avon 71/72 setup...Even if I dont get the mileage I am hoping for, at least they feel and communicate better through the bars...
Kirk

MJPTexas...Have to agree. I have never been a fan of Dunlops...the feel always seems vague to me. Whether on the HD's, my old ZX9, or the Bandit 1250s, Dunlops just don't do it for me.
Now the Cali rides on the Avon 71/72 setup...Even if I dont get the mileage I am hoping for, at least they feel and communicate better through the bars...
Kirk
I have done 5000k on Cobra and still going good, the front I used a Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT, I had PR3's on my Griso and Harley, loved them and not being able to use them was a big neg for the C1400. travelled to Burt Munro and back on NZ roads and they are both wearing well, have never let go and have handled well at speed. Good combo so far, would like to try a 180 on back next time. Got 3000k from Dunlop before puncture, so binned it then got 5500 out an Exedra Max which still had k's left when I fitted the Avon for the trip south.

Has anybody noticed an effect on the traction control after changing tires to a different brand?
I'm leaning towards a set of Avons . They look to be the closest to the Dunlop's inflated diameters.

Has anybody noticed an effect on the traction control after changing tires to a different brand?

The circumference of a 200/60 and a 180/65 is almost identical. The TC can be adjusted after fitting a tyre with a different circumference. The manual sets out the straightforward process.

Stephen

I'm leaning towards a set of Avons . They look to be the closest to the Dunlop's inflated diameters.

Never noticed any change to the traction control after installing different tyres. If necessary, you can recalibrate the traction control to "learn" the new tyre sizes.

Back