Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Oh No - Not Tires

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by abbienormal, Jun 4, 2014.

1. James Chance

James Chance Cruisin' Guzzisti

One last question. How much of a difference did it make in the speedometer accuracy? Thanks again...

Jim

2. rudylexus

rudylexus Just got it firing!

Like aready told in this tread:
    'The circumference of a 200/60 and a 180/65 is almost identical.'
    130 km/h on te gps is 136 on the speedometer,( i think )
    Grtz Rudy

3. roadventure

roadventure GT Reference GT Famiglia

I needed to order a new rear tire since it is worn flat in the center past the wear bars. I found some good prices at DENNIS KIRK. My AVON AV72 200/VR16 will arrive in a few days costing me about $163.00.

4. Trout

Trout GT Reference

I would have never thought to buy tires on Amazon but have found the best prices with no shipping there.
    Might want to check it out & compare for the next time.

5. roadventure

I did. AMAZON price was about $20.00 higher.

6. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Don't ever listen to me or take my advice I will lie, I will lie....LOL!

John L likes this.
  7. mrvman

mrvman Just got it firing!

I've been riding on these tires:

130/70ZR-18 (63W) Bridgestone Exedra Max (Front)
    200/60R-16 (79V) Bridgestone Exedra Max (Rear)

The ride is very predictable, little wondering when going over uneven grooves, and seem above average for wet road conditions (caught a few rain showers since I got them August 2015)

Tread has been holding up really well - I've got about 6,000 miles logged on them and they still show good tread.

Bought them from www.rockymountainatvmc.com:

Front - $97.98
    Rear - $148.88

Prices are as of this post.

8. Chet Van Aken

Chet Van Aken Tuned and Synch'ed

I ended up with the same tires. The stock Dunlops went 9000 rear and 13000 front. They were pretty worn but serviceable. Finding a rear on the road was a chore I ended up going to Brookside in Tulsa (I was on the road anyway) and they had to order it. They were a great bunch I'd recommend stopping by it you get the chance.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2016
  9. Clayton Sietsema

Clayton Sietsema Cruisin' Guzzisti

Wow, 9000 on the rear, that's gotta be a record. 5500 and mine was shot but I weigh 250 ish and ride 2 up a lot. And I will agree with you on Brookside, seems like good guys.

10. chrisjoffe

chrisjoffe Just got it firing!

Just put Avon Cobras on to replace the D251s. Went with the 180/65-16 on the back and it looks like it fits fine. The ride is a lot smoother and the handling and turn-in are a lot more confidence-inspiring. The D251s vibrated and always seemed like they wanted to wander. I'll post about longevity when I know.

11. Derek Wiltshire

Derek Wiltshire Just got it firing!

Just got 6000 miles out of a set of Avon Cobras and theyystill going strong

12. James Chance

James Chance Cruisin' Guzzisti

About a thousand miles into a set of Avon Cobras here too. Obvious difference in handling (for the better of course)...

13. roadventure

I think you all that have the AVONS installed will be as happy with the mileage you can get out of them as you are with the smooth ride. I changed out the rear AVON on my California at 11,500 miles. The front is still in place and I expect to be able to run it up to 15,000 miles.

bobw likes this.
  14. LuftWolf

LuftWolf Tuned and Synch'ed

Another vote for the Avon Cobra's. The OEM Dunlops didn't handle well and the rear was toast at 4,000. I now have 9,000 on the Avon replacement and it still has plenty of tread.

bobw likes this.
  15. jbhotchkiss

jbhotchkiss Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I like the ride and handling of the Avons on my Custom - just hoping to get better mileage than the OEM Dunlops. Glad to see the high mileage experiences in this thread....

16. roadventure

I think it is safe to say that you can expect at least double.

17. caliman

caliman Tuned and Synch'ed

If you get twice the miles on Avons over the Dunlops is that because the Avons are a harder tyre thus have less grip than the Dunlops?

18. chrisjoffe

chrisjoffe Just got it firing!

The grip on my Avons seems much better than the Dunlops. I thought I had a problem with the bike because it was very unstable in corners. Now it is solid and smooth. They're new, of course. We'll see how they age but I expect good things based on other people's comments.

19. Davetac1

Davetac1 Tuned and Synch'ed

Since I'm fairly new here,and do NOT own a Guzzi "YET",please forgive me if I'm over stepping my bounds.But after reading thru this thread,and since I'm kinda new to this motorcycling stuff,[I've only been mounted on two wheels for the past 54 consecutive years,totaling pretty close to,if not over,a million miles] I've gone thru a few tires [I do my own work] and the current machine I'm riding goes thru tires like Grant took Richmond,[24 tires so far,front and rear, over the last 6 1/2 years and 111,000 miles,which is NOT VERY GOOD,yet quite expensive!!!] So I've pretty much tried all of em looking for the best bang for my buck and to date,the tire that lasted the longest on the front of my current machine [Triumphs' Tbird,which is close to 100 lbs. heavier then the California] was Avons' AV71,totaling close to the 20,000 mile mark running 36 psi in it.I also ran Avons' AV72 on the back,but only got 11,000 miles out of it also running 36 psi in it.In other words,the AV71 and AV72 might be worth considering as a possible replacement,which is just a suggestion!!! I applogise for the interruption,so please carry on gentlemen!! Dave!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  20. roadventure

Dave,

Agreed. I have liked the Avon Venom tires on past bikes and am now using the Avon Cobras (since the Venoms are no longer sold) on my California 1400. The OEM Dunlop D251 tires lasted all of 4500 miles. I have run through one rear Avon tire and got 11,500 miles out of it. I would have gotten more but the center was flattened due to a lot of riding in the western U.S. The front Avon is still in place and I expect to be able to run it at least another 3000 miles before changing.

Tom Hart likes this.