• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil around button right side under head, please advise

v7flier

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
Sorry for the lame title. I haven't a clue what this is. The picture will have to explain it.

I just need to know if oil seeping around this button is a bad thing. It's not much, but it's some. Minor leak

You may have a rear main or other leak. If under warranty take it to the dealer. Leave the oil there so they can see it. Oil is being picked up by the flywheel and slung to the cases.

r u sure the oil is coming from there. Just make sure. Odd that there is oil in front of the inspection plug. Looks like it is coming from that oil pan bolt/seam. May just need to be tightened. There should also be a drain slot at the bottom of the bell housing (that is what the inspection plug is for). If there was a leak into the housing it would come out the bottom. Have seen rear seal leaks and don't think I have ever seen them come out the inspection plug and not the bottom, but I guess it is possible.

Personally, I would clean it off and put some baby powder around the area then go for another ride and try to determine the start of the leak. I think you will find it starts upstream of the inspection plug.

I'd say oil staining. (2nd pic posted by WV7R)
My bikes get that (even the Vic) from running close to red line for extended rides.
Bit of blow by that's normal.

EDIT: I don't own a V7 & only familiar with them from reading on this forum.

Last edited:
Didn't even see that. Those look like two separate sources. Is there not a blow by collection system on the V7? The top one look more oil vapour related than the bottom one. Lots going on with this bike...:D

OEM blow by is the air filter housing.
I agree, two separate things going on.

If OP has been out for a "spirited ride" that explains the stain on top.
Oil around the inspection plug could be front trans seal or engine oil.
Time to give the old smell test.

Looks like it is coming from that oil pan bolt/seam. May just need to be tightened. There should also be a drain slot at the bottom of the bell housing (that is what the inspection plug is for)..

That seam is for the 2 piece block. A leak there would require splitting the block and new sealant applied. The oil pan seam is well below that. That inspection plug is a vestigial organ left over from when there were timing marks on the flywheel. Once oil hits a seam it will travel.

That seam is for the 2 piece block. A leak there would require splitting the block and new sealant applied. The oil pan seam is well below that. That inspection plug is a vestigial organ left over from when there were timing marks on the flywheel. Once oil hits a seam it will travel.

Was trying to align my perspective on the V7. I was off.

Not sure which is easier now. Fixing a rear seal leak or splitting the cases. At this point I would be hoping for a loose bolt to fix the problem.

Understand the staining now. You were talking about the gearbox venting, not engine blowby. Time for a sniff test of both areas. Now betting one is engine oil (inspection plug) and the other gearbox oil (Staining).

All that being said, the OP has not checked back in.....think we may have scared him off....:wasntme:

I think Vagrant got it... John, likely just some migrating trans/gearbox breather residual seeping down that seam and showing around the inspection plug. I would bet it's not a crank or gearbox input oil seal.
Regardless, get it back to the dealer if you can.

Check those oil breather hoses from the head that go back to the airbox, one of those could have come loose and now blowing oil on the top of the motor.

It could also be the transmission is over filled. Did you recently change the transmission oil? Even slightly over filled will cause it to leak. I would at least check the transmission oil level.

Make sure the bike is held level to check that transmission level. IF you fill it on the side stand to the bottom of the fill plug it will be overfilled.

Did you screw around with the transmission oil?

If oil is coming out around that rubber plug you over filled that transmission and could have blown the front transmission seal into the bell housing, Big job to fix that, the engine would need to be removed and those casing split to fix that.

Hopefully it just migrated down to that point or else you have filled the transmission to the point you blew out the forward seal.

These bikes can be easy to screw stuff up if you don't pay attention and read carefully before you do things.

You can pull that rubber plug and look inside the bell housing, if you have oil iin there, you are frocked.

Last edited:
Hope its ok that I fill in with a similar (?) problem. This is my V7II Stornello with only 800km (500miles) on the clock. This is on the left side of the front of the engine block.

I hadnt even noticed, I just took the shot to keep the engine number. It grows *very* slowly. 2nd shot is 80km (50miles) after the first. Should I be worried? Bike is going in for first service (1000km) in a couple of weeks and any insights would be much appreciated.

(EDIT: Let me know if I should post a separate thread.)

Skarmavbild 2017 09 09 kl 181438 Skarmavbild 2017 09 09 kl 181421

Back