• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil change interval

AlanNZ

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Many on this list prefer to do oil changes at 5,000km which is half the recommended interval. For those that do this; Do you change the filter every second change and do you also do the gearbox and drive oils at the same time?
Alan NZ

When you change the engine oil you must ALWAYS change your oil filter as well. Engines are expensive; oil filters and oil filters are cheap. With respect to the gear and diff oil, I only do them on the 10, 000 km services. I always change my engile oil (and filter) at the 5, 000 intervals.

Regards

Many on this list prefer to do oil changes at 5,000km which is half the recommended interval. For those that do this; Do you change the filter every second change and do you also do the gearbox and drive oils at the same time?
Alan NZ
My advice is to follow the factory recommended intervals. The engineers who designed the bike had the best information on what is needed and are gonna ro be conservative with recommended maintenance intervals. If you would like to do maintenance at more frequent intervals than recommended then change whatever you like as it is overkill under normal use in any case.

I change the oil every 5000kms and the filter every 10,000km. The Breva manual says to change the drive/gearbox oils every 20,000km but I do them every 10,000km, too.

I worked where there was an oil analysis lab. I've had several samples checked that I have drained at the recommended interval. Now they asked why did I change the oil as it was still fine to use. So in my experience to change more often that the recommended interval is a waste of oil and money, but it is your money so do as you wish. In fact the intervals could probably be increased but without the data to do so I wouldn't recommend that.

My Ford manual says to change it every 15,000km or more often under hard use. It defines hard use as (from memory) less than 10,000km per year. i guess they're saying to change it on an annual (time) basis not a mileage basis. I would struggle to do 10,000kms a year on each bike. But your right, it's time to reconsider my habits.

I used to do some work for an engine reconditioner. Here are words from the wise:
- We have never seen an engine fail from lack of oil changes (providing there is sufficient oil in there);
- We have never seen an engine fail from too many oil changes (providing the oil is still in there when changed)l;

I would suspect changing at 5000km is acceptable practice and certainly can't hurt. Changing the oil filter at the same time makes sense and all in all it is very cheap insurance.

5000/10000km? Use your own personal judgement and do what you think is right for your beautiful bike...

Bringing up an old thread from the grave, figured it would be better than creating a new one. So my odometer currently reads 4,000km. According to the OM (page 143), the bike is good for another 6,000km's (10,000km) until the next service is required? Surely this can't be right, I bring my car in every 8000km religiously.

Just wondering what everyone else is doing. I don't want to recklessly throw money away by having the bike serviced prematurely, however if it is a good idea, that is a different story.

Cheers all,

C

10,000 Km or 6,200 miles is the interval. The synthetic oil gives you this longer interval. That said, changing oil once a year if you don't get the miles isn't a bad idea. Experience with oil analysis actually says these intervals are conservative. Most oil changes are done too early.

Remember you have a dry clutch so the oil does not get contaminated with clutch debris like wet clutch bikes. 10,000km or once a year is the norm when combined with the synthetic oil. Just keep riding it and save your money.

Remember you have a dry clutch so the oil does not get contaminated with clutch debris like wet clutch bikes. 10,000km or once a year is the norm when combined with the synthetic oil. Just keep riding it and save your money.

The BMW new water heads still have a 6,000 mile interval. These new bikes have a wet clutch.

The recommendation from the manufacturer is every 10,000 km. If you decide to change it at 5,000 km, then wouldn't 2,500 km be even better? Or 1,250 km? Why not, if "more often" is better?

Lannis

Reminiscent of the old DuctTapes that had a 1000 mile service interval - but only if it lasted that long...

Well, that answers that. I was under the impression that since the low km's on the bike, the 5k service would be required due to anything floating around while the bike continues to break in.

Well, that answers that. I was under the impression that since the low km's on the bike, the 5k service would be required due to anything floating around while the bike continues to break in.

Is there a 1000 km service on a V7 and if so did you do that one?

Sorry to start this up again, (oil question for John Zibell) but what is the argument for an annual change? My bike is a 1200 Sport 4V (not rollerised) low mileage in great condition. I ask the question because I changed my oil (slightly before the recommended interval) in June last year. I only managed a couple of thousand miles after that, before laying the bike up for winter —in a heated garage. I only do long rides (no short commutes etc) so the bike is always fully hot on the road. I have at least another 3,000 miles to go before the next service is due, but the "annual" change will come long before that. Do I do my next change according to the calendar or the distance?
And if we're talking regular annual oil changes, do you recommend new oil before laying up, or new oil on starting up in the Spring?

If your riding does not put on the required amount of miles/kilometres, the annual change is the one to go with. As always it can't hurt. And since your engine is not rollerised, best not to ride it at all until it has been checked out by a dealer, and a claim initiated - it's not a matter of if, but when. There are some horrible stories of the whole engine needing replacement in the worst cases, but it is better to err on the side of safety and longevity.

Sorry to start this up again, (oil question for John Zibell) but what is the argument for an annual change? My bike is a 1200 Sport 4V (not rollerised) low mileage in great condition. I ask the question because I changed my oil (slightly before the recommended interval) in June last year. I only managed a couple of thousand miles after that, before laying the bike up for winter —in a heated garage. I only do long rides (no short commutes etc) so the bike is always fully hot on the road. I have at least another 3,000 miles to go before the next service is due, but the "annual" change will come long before that. Do I do my next change according to the calendar or the distance?
And if we're talking regular annual oil changes, do you recommend new oil before laying up, or new oil on starting up in the Spring?

Change the oil before you put it up for the winter. Combustion byproducts suspended in the oil are corrosive, and you don't want them working as an acid on any metal surfaces for months at a time, undisturbed. If you have ever dismantled an old engine let sitting with old oil, you will find "worm tracks" on the main bearings and oil pan. Put in clean oil annually or before winter storage.

Oil is cheap, engines are expensive.

Back