• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Change

G

GFMCO

I thought I had seen this on here, but unable to find while searching the forum.

I was going to do the first oil change and don't see in the owners or service manuals what type of oil I should be using. Also, I thought I read that I need a "special" wrench to get the oil filter off. Anyone know where if that is indeed correct?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Thanks for the info. Clayton, are you getting the oil and filters from AF1 as well?

I will be ordering the "oil change kit" and Harper's filter tool from AF1 also. I tried to order the equivalent from Harper's Moto Guzzi, but they won't provide a shipping cost until AFTER you place the order. I don't like to place an order for something where I do not know the final price so AF1 (who tell you shipping costs up front) will get my business.

Harper's is good to deal with but I had to go with the better oil price from AF1. That $12.99 filter wrench worked just fine. I couldn't bring myself to spend $45 for the Harper's one, even though it looks nice.

Just wait until your cheepie rounds off the indents on the filter when you try to remove it, and then have to revert to the two screwdriver method. That's what happened with my Pep Boys one.

Regarding Harpers and postage, I find their ship pricing is much cheaper than AF1, especially when it is international. It is understandable that they won't know the exact price until they actually ship. Others choose to apply a value that will cover all the shipping and leave a bit for beer money too.

I was cleaning up the shop from doing my oil change and fished the original drain plug out of the drain pan and it already had a magnet in it so disregard my suggestion of buying one. I can't believe no one called me out on that one?

I was cleaning up the shop from doing my oil change and fished the original drain plug out of the drain pan and it already had a magnet in it so disregard my suggestion of buying one. I can't believe no one called me out on that one?

We thought you wanted a spare, since you keep dropping your one in the drain pan. :)

hi yall -- I can't believe no one has come up with a ingenious 'home made' clever filter removal tool --

Well since you asked.... I did print a kdirtrider original on the 3D Printer a few weeks ago but the last filter I received from AF1 Racing was different. Haven't made one to fit it yet. The other side has the eagle logo on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-15-21-07-24-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-15-21-07-24-1.png
    768.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2016-05-15-21-07-17-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-15-21-07-17-1.png
    833 KB · Views: 21
hi yall -- I can't believe no one has come up with a ingenious 'home made' clever filter removal tool --

It doesn't always work and isn't always very elegant, but the screwdriver through the oil filter has worked for me in the past. Okay, I know MG was gracious enough to have buried the oil filter so it does not protrude from the oil pan. I am going to look for one that is about 3/4 to 1 inch taller. It doesn't look like there would be any clearance issues since the bottom of the frame is about 1.5 inches below the OEM filter.

thanks dave / Kdirtrider -- just remembered there a filter called the
FLO Reusable Spin On Oil Filter from PC Racing - I have it on my yamaha raider -- has a nut on top to make it easy to wrench off --- but i don't see it specifically for cali 1400

I just got off phone with pcracing FLO oil filter --- We are not 100% sure they have one that will fit the cali 1400 - but I bought one and it's on it's way. (the issue: not 100% it's correct thread pattern; but the diameter is good and the height is only 1 inch longer)

I seem to recall there was room for a 1 inch longer oil filter?? -- any comments/recommendations/thoughts would be welcome.

I will post if it works hopefully within 2 weeks - one week to get and another week to procrastinate.

These FLO reusable stainless steel oil filters are great, they flow more oil, they have BETTER filtration, they have cooling fins, they are top notch craftmanship (a piece of art really) and best of all, you never have to worry about finding/buying another oil filter.

(and for the skeptical, I do not work for, have any relatives that work for, or have any financial interest in PC Racing :)

Back