RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Oil drip from V35C air filter box

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by IceBlue, Jun 14, 2019.

1. IceBlue

IceBlue Tuned and Synch'ed

Never seen this before on my other SB's (7) - it seems like the engine constantly is pushing oil into the breather box, which on this model is a combination of the oil breather separation box and the air box. After each ride, oil is dripping out the air box drain.

Any ideas? I have a V50/III with the same breather/air box, and no drip at all. Seems like the oil mist coming from the cylinder heads aren't drain fast enough by the oil return drain to the sump.

Ciao
    Brian

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

Either oil is over filled, or the rings are bad causing excessive crankcase pressure.

3. IceBlue

Thanks John!
    Oil is spot on, and your other suggestion, is what i fear although the bike only has 16.000 km on the clock and purrs like a kitten. (hopefully not 116.000) although there are indications to that fact…(a very dirty sump now cleaned out).

4. john zibell

A leak down test can tell you if the rings are OK or not. Also it is not uncommon for the full mark to be over full. It is common for a Guzzi engine to push out some oil until it reaches a point between full and add. Adding more oil when below the full mark just results in more oil being pushed out.

5. IceBlue

Thanks!:)

6. IceBlue

Hi John
    Did a leak down test. Left cylinder 20%. Right cylinder 10%. Lifted both cylinders yesterday. Right cylinder looks like it's been doing very few km, perhaps true to the 15.000 the clock shows. The left cylinder has done more, There are wear edges from the rings in the top and bottom of the cylinder. However - 20% seems in the green zone of the leak down tester, or how are your take on this?

7. john zibell

The % isn't as important as where the leak is occurring. When doing leak down, I listen to find where the air is escaping. If it is past the rings, that can contribute to high crankcase pressure that can cause oil to escape to the airbox. Conversely if from teh valves, time for valve work. That said, it never makes sense to just do valves. If you fis the valve issue, you will just get higher compression on used rings which will develope an issue soon. That is why valves and rings should be done at the same time.

8. IceBlue

I did a valve leak test on the worn cylinder when I lifted the head. It had a slight leak in the intake valve. I seated the valve grinding it with fine grinding paste, which did the trick, so I now know that the leaking here is from the rings. As this cylinder/piston seems worn considerably more than the right cylinder, I'm thinking of replacing it. This cylinder is the one shooting most of the oil out the breathing tube too. The right cylinder only did a couple of drops and the left almost filled a 10" tube on a 5 mile trip. I gather that's more that the return tube in the breather box can handle, hense the dripping out the drain from the filter box. This is funny too, the cylinder heads should shoot an equal amount of oil due to crank case pressure. Checked the oil return drain on both cylinders and heads. No obstruction at all...

9. john zibell

Looks like you have found the cause.

10. IceBlue

Again thank you for your input and guidance John!