Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Oil fiiler cap and fuel tank noise

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Larry Vance, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Tuned and Synch'ed

I had a weird day today. 2013 V7 Special 3200 miles. Part 1 Went for a ride not long, no faster than 60mph. Oil filler cap came loose, shooting oil all over. I stopped tightened it and went back home. I checked the oil the night before and made sure the cap was tight, but it loosened anyway. Has anyone had this issue? I am thinking of using some loctite on it but hesitate because the cap knob is plastic not metal. Does anyone know of a better replacement. Part 2. When I get home and am cleaning the bike I hear a noise from the gas tank that sounds like the fuel pump being energized as if I turned the key on. The key was out when this happened and the sound repeated every 4 to 5 minutes. It seems to have stopped after the bike sat for an hour or so. Any ideas?? Thanks

2. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

Congratulations. You have 2 common items. The oil filler coming loose has been mentioned several times on this forum and if you do a search fixes will be there. No Loctite! The noise you hear is the fuel tank vent valve. Not sure on the V7 but on the 1400 the easiest cure is to remove it. Either that or tolerate the noise. It hurts nothing. It is the hot engine expanding the air and fuel in the tank and the valve releases some when it reaches a certain pressure. Mine is gone.

3. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Yea, on the 750 engine the dipstick often auto-rotates out. It's common. I drilled my cap for a D-ring and wire it shut. Another fellow drilled the case and uses a peg. Some tighten the cap with a wrench.

4. Cam3512

Cam3512 Tuned and Synch'ed

I replaced my stock stick with a metal temp guage dipstick.

LocTite and plastic = NOT GOOD.

Wisconsin v7 Racer likes this.
  5. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

Using a wrench to tighten it up. I've already cracked a chunk off the plastic cap with the wrench.

6. tonUPRacer

tonUPRacer Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Done the oily boot drill myself. I'm amazed that MG hasn't addressed this. I use a pair of channel locks and just give a little "snug-up" maybe a 1/4 turn and I've never had it happen again.

7. rbm

rbm Cruisin' Guzzisti

I've always done mine up by hand and never had an issue. Now that I've written that, Murphy will wreak a heavy vengeance on me by having my oil dipstick come undone every ride from now on.

8. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

Be careful with those channel locks I've already cracked a chunk off the dip stick cap. I had it come loose going home from the dealership. I learn early on first day. Other thing that happens is that green rubber seal falls out, one of these days that sucker is going to fall into the sump.

9. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Here some pictures of answers. I use the top "wire method." Another fellow uses the pin below.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Larry Vance

Thanks all. I will be using the channel lock solution. Spoke to a dealer which had the same suggestion.

11. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Lance,
    Don't give in to the channel locks. Really, fitting a D-ring and wiring it is simpler overall.
    really.
    Joe

12. andyb

andyb Cruisin' Guzzisti

Trouble is, if I wired it, I would be less likely to regularly check the oil level.
    Need a secure locking but QR method - maybe the R pin?
    AndyB

13. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Andy, It's not wired with the stiff safety wire. I used some copper wire that I twist on and off. The twisted ends are concealed in the photo. Ends up being simpler than the channel wrench solution.

14. andyb

andyb Cruisin' Guzzisti

Just a few thoughts.
    On a Jabiru engine I run in a microlight the plastic dip stick surround (very similar to the MG one) expands more than the alloy it is in so that it is impossible to remove when the engine is hot. We always check the oil cold and just do it up snug - and it never shifts.
    On the V7 we are told by MG to check the oil when hot. Which means that we replace the dipstick into a hot engine. So the dipstick may become loose when the engine cools down....and then undoes when ridden.

It would be much better to check the engine oil level when cold. Then the dip stick is refitted into a cold engine and should lock itself as the engine heats up.

Checking then engine oil level cold may mean recalibrating the dipstick.....

AndyB

15. andyb

andyb Cruisin' Guzzisti

Full by the MG method is 3/4 full on my bike, cold, on centre stand - may be different on other bikes - so I will check it cold in future and hope the oil drain cap tightens up as the engine warms due to the different expasion rates of alloy and plastic
    AndyB

16. Larry Vance

I found that after hand tightening the dipstick if I snug it up a bit more with pliers it stays in place.

17. tonUPRacer

tonUPRacer Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

There's a handy little tool that is being offered on another site. I believe Todd frowns on links so just google "fin design dipstick tool". A number of other V7 owners have ordered and I will be too. I'll be happy to put my channel locks away.

18. Larry Vance

Thanks for info. I will definitely get one.

19. Cam3512

Cam3512 Tuned and Synch'ed

If you know your engine has the proper amount of oil (right after a change) note the level on your dipstick when checking cold. No big deal.