• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Leak

gerryguzzi

Just got it firing!
Hi There....I am a new member since purchasing a 2011 Selvio with 13000 Kms, a week ago. I :( have a slight oil leak from the oil passage end plug which is situated on the RH side of the sump flange. Would someone kindly inform me how this leak would occur and how can it be rectified.
Many Thanks....my first post.......Gerry

Could you post a picture of the exact location? This wasn't uncommon on Tonti frame bikes and I've got an easy procedure for them, but you could remove the sump to make the repair. Not sure of the location on your Stelvio so the picture would help.

Hi John....I tried to send a photo from my home computer and failed a number of times.
After the last attempt the website sent me a Customban Notice and could not re-enter the website.
So I went to the Library to get this message to you....Very Sorry for the screw up....Regards Gerry

PS; email is lahaye.g@gmail.com......obviously i do not know how to upload a pic and send it to you..
all help would be appreciated.

Todd put out a notice about uploading files. The site is having difficulties and certain file types will get you banned. Please e-mail Todd direct to remove the ban. I'll send you an e-mail momentarily.

Well I have been unable to update my post due to technical problems that have now been solved.
While I was unable to communicate with you via this website, I was able to discuss my oil leak problem with John Zibell via email. I can't say enough about how John patiently gave me instructions on how to possibly solve the oil leak issue.
Let me first of all summarize the exact problem. I just purchased a 2011 Selvio with 13,000kms
and was advised that there was an oil leal coming from an oil plug situated on the right side of the oil sump. The leak was not great but it bothered me. The previous owner tried to rectify the problem by applying an epoxy glue on the plug.....that failed.

I then posted a request for assistance on this site and John Zibell came to the rescue.
He mentionned a number of possible silutions after having reviewed a picture of the leak via email. Please don't ask me to post the picture here as I attempted to do so and triggered a notice banning me from the site. Maybe John will kindly add the picture that I sent to him.

The first recommendation from John was to place the Bike on the side stand or lay the bike on the left side, as the leak was on the right hand side. He then advised me to carefully clean the area with Gumout...a carb cleaner that I was able to find at the local Canadian Tire in Montreal. He then advised me to heat the area with a heat gun. I realized that you had to apply the heat for quite some time before the plug got hot enough.
Next I was to apply Locktite 290 to the plug area and to let it sit for awhile. I must
say that I had never heard of this specific product but John patiently explained that it was a Green colored lock thread that penatrates already connected metal objects. There is where I had difficulty ...not everyone sells this specific lock thread but I was finally able to obtain a tube at a local Carquest store.
John explained to me that the theory behind this procedure was that the Locktite would be absorbed into the leak as the area cooled. Apparently , the heating and cooling creates a vacum that sucks the locktie into the leaking area.
I let the bike sit for a couple od days and today took the Stelvio out for a 60 kms ride in order to test my work.
I was pleasantly surprised to note that the leak was just about non existent...i say just about because there was a minute trace of oil but a great improvment.
When I returned home I decided to clean the area once again and reapply the Locktite.
There was no need to heat the area as it was plenty hot from the ride.
So Fellow Stelvio riders that is where I stand and tomorrow I have to take a 300kms ride and will be able to see if the leak is completely plugged.

Can't thank John and Todd enough for their help....I promise to keep you up to date with the
outcome of this attempted fix...The alternative to this procedure was a little more involved and probably beyond my abilities but who knows, maybe John will talk me through it if this procedure ends up failing.....Regards to all.....Gerry

Hi Fellow Stelvio Riders,
Here is an update from yesterday's post, unfortunately after taking the bike out for a 300km ride, the leak has returned.....I will now try to solve the problem using A product such as Quicksteel but specifically for aluminum....as John remarked...nothing to lose....I prefer trying this before having to remove the sump pan.....I have this fear that to remove the pan will create other leaks......Gerry

Hi Again.....Well I applied the Quicksteel (aluminum) to the sump oil seal and the result is negative....the leak continues....I cleaned away the Quicksteel and had a good look at the seal with the motor running.....it is clear that the oil is leaking from the very center of the plug. At the center of the plug is a tiny hole and the leak is directly from there.
I agree a new gasket will be needed if I open the sump. This seal plug is on the Falnge part of the sump (#879872) and is listed (flange)on Harper's MG website for $295 US.
That is certainly an option but I really believe that leak from that tiny hole could somehow be sealed.
I've given up trying to seal the leak from the outside. Now if I remove the pan and flange what would be the best way to plug the seal from the inside. John suggested that the plug be drilled and replaced with a new one (after cleaning and threading etc.).
Not sure I have the mechanical skill for that procedure but is there an alternative????

For purposes of clarity, please note that this leak is minor....no oil leaks when the bike is parked and just a little oil seeps thru on my rides....i have travelled about 1800 kms and haven't had to top up the oil......Regards ...Gerry

Even if you remove the flange, you probably can't seal it from the inside as it is an oil passage and probably has a 90 degree bend or something in the passage. Also you won't want anything to come loose and go where you don't want it. Options, replace flange, remove flange and have a machine shop replace the plug. Be sure all metal chips are removed from the oil passage before you install the repaired flange.

Hi .....An update on my oil leak at the oil seal plug situated on the right side of the oil pan of my 2011 Stelvio.
About 3 weeks ago I decided to attempt to plug the leak with a product called SteelStick...purchased at the local Canadian Tire store here in Montreal. It failed to do the trick.

Last week I decided to give it a second try.....I cleaned out the product that I first applied and then cleaned the area with carb cleaner. I then proceeded to pick at the hole where the oil was leaking from and followed up with the heat gun.
After warming up the plug I applied some SteelStick but making sure I packed in the product well and especially into that little hole in the middle of the oil seal plug.
I let the bike sit in the garage for a few days (3 or 4). Today I took the Stelvio for a 200 Kms ride and surprise, surprise.......no leaking. Will it last? Can't say but I am crossing my fingers.
Regards.....Gerry

Sorry to butt in, but I have an idiotic question
I have. A 1989 sp 1000 and its oil tight, so much so that I've drained the oil ,removed the perimeter sump bolts, but the sump WONT come off
What am I missing?

Sorry to butt in, but I have an idiotic question
I have. A 1989 sp 1000 and its oil tight, so much so that I've drained the oil ,removed the perimeter sump bolts, but the sump WONT come off
What am I missing?
There are 4 bolts in the middle of the pan. The heads on these bolts are 10mm. Take a look in a parts book for the exact location. Once these bolts are off it sometimes takes a little shock (tap the drain plug with a hammer) to have the pan drop, be ready to catch it. In the future if you have a question about your SP, please start a new topic in the Tonti and Loop section.

Back