• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil pressure light comes on at Idle with hot oil!

Well that’s concerning.
So if the bike is key on, kill switch on, not running I’d assume the circuit would be active and also have continuity from a “working” switch causing the triangle/can (can I say trican?) to illuminate.

I’m theorizing that if the wire has a bad connection then it’ll act as though it has pressure but once grounding out (possible leaking switch?) it’ll act as low pressure.
The pressure sensor is a normally closed switch that provides a ground path for the oil pressure light. It opens with oil pressure. A poor connection would act as an open indicating pressure when you don't have any which will trip a fault code.

Both of my previous Stelvios had intermittend oil pressure switch issues, replacing them solved the problem. Just another MG issue that needs to be fixed. Good thing the bikes are fun to ride

Well what a miserable PITA that was.
Got the tank off, Airbox out, oil pressure sending unit out without removing the alternator, considered cutting the 21mm wrench so I could get a 1/12th turn on it.
Horrible job but not worth farming it out.
Oh and I also dropped the new sensor beside the hole it resides in and had a bad time getting it out. Used a magnet and needle nose. IMG 4601 IMG 4652

Same problem as yesterday. After a ride at over 2000m altitude in the mountains on a hot day the oil warning light comes on. After the engine has cooled down, the warning light comes on again with the engine over 60°C. I'm going to change the sensor and hope I haven't done any damage on my way home

Even an analog sensor fo the oil pressure gauge can fail and give wrong information. Anyway this my sensor. Forcing an air pressure inside, it shows 100ohm, not 0.
Now I ordered an equivalent from Hella, and I'll update you.

IMG20230618120653 IMG20230618120207

Update
Rode around the ‘hood tonight for 45 minutes. Slow/fast/slow again etc so on and so forth.
No oil pressure light, no triangle of death, no tin man oil can.
So now I’ve replaced the upper and lower sump gaskets and the pressure sensor plus had the fuel tank off and Airbox out plus reassembly. Insert getting to know you song here:

IMG 4660

Don’t say that…

Rear main seal replacement is serious major surgery.
Post in thread 'Is this a main oil seal leak?

I think I know where I veered off course….

Even an analog sensor fo the oil pressure gauge can fail and give wrong information. Anyway this my sensor. Forcing an air pressure inside, it shows 100ohm, not 0.
Now I ordered an equivalent from Hella, and I'll update you.

View attachment 30549View attachment 30550
My oil lamp issue finally solved with the M12 sensor replacing🤞. Bought an Hella 0.2-0.5bar on Amazon with 10€.

As usual, late to this party.

Also no longer have a Norge; Lordy, I miss that beast.

An early adopter -- a disease I've since (pretty much :wasntme:) cured, thanks to the Norge -- I had your oil-pressure madness and rear-main-seal issues, plus engine seizure from faulty oil pump, CARC self-destruct, and many more. Guzzi fixed the engine and CARC under warranty.

On my own, I finally fixed the OP issue as did you and countless others by replacing the connection ... and several new OP switches before I realized that the switches worked just fine, but the contact didn't. That led to all sorts of angst on the road. When I finally sold it last year for age issues -- mine, not the Norge's! ;) -- I had sorted out all of the maddening issues ... except that main seal leak.

I decided that it really didn't matter. Heck, I was more incontinent than it was. :giggle:

Seriously, and this may make the real wrenches and neatness nerds here groan, but on any sort of X/Y "value" assessment, the time and cost of such a fix seems, IMO, at least, to outweigh the benefits. So, unless it just drives you nuts, I'd view it as yet another endearing "feature." Besides, for former Volvo owners, it just seems natural. :rofl:

OK, I've thrown that cherry bomb into the pond; let's see what bobs to the top. ;)

Bill

P.S. @Captincvmn, you are just up the road; come visit the Moto Grappa at the top of Virginia sometime.

As usual, late to this party.

Also no longer have a Norge; Lordy, I miss that beast.

An early adopter -- a disease I've since (pretty much :wasntme:) cured, thanks to the Norge -- I had your oil-pressure madness and rear-main-seal issues, plus engine seizure from faulty oil pump, CARC self-destruct, and many more. Guzzi fixed the engine and CARC under warranty.

On my own, I finally fixed the OP issue as did you and countless others by replacing the connection ... and several new OP switches before I realized that the switches worked just fine, but the contact didn't. That led to all sorts of angst on the road. When I finally sold it last year for age issues -- mine, not the Norge's! ;) -- I had sorted out all of the maddening issues ... except that main seal leak.

I decided that it really didn't matter. Heck, I was more incontinent than it was. :giggle:

Seriously, and this may make the real wrenches and neatness nerds here groan, but on any sort of X/Y "value" assessment, the time and cost of such a fix seems, IMO, at least, to outweigh the benefits. So, unless it just drives you nuts, I'd view it as yet another endearing "feature." Besides, for former Volvo owners, it just seems natural. :rofl:

OK, I've thrown that cherry bomb into the pond; let's see what bobs to the top. ;)

Bill

P.S. @Captincvmn, you are just up the road; come visit the Moto Grappa at the top of Virginia sometime.
I’ve grown to really enjoy this bike. It’s an expensive thing to learn on mechanically but worth it. Paid $3k for it. I own a Land Rover Discovery so leaks are customary. My rear main was actually my transmission front seal as I had stuck the breather hose on a plastic knob on the Airbox that had no hole in it. Pressurizing the gearbox when hot. Undid that and problem went away. Checked fluid levels afterwards and they were acceptable.

I still have an engine oil drip after riding from the belt cover area which is concerning but leaves a spot 1” under bike after it’s done. If I just accept the fact that it’s not 100% sealed, maybe my life will be easier.

North Virginia eh? Sounds like a pleasant trip down 15 to 270 to 495. But that sounds like a horrible trip on a motorcycle. Maybe in spring after I’ve ridden more.

Back