Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Oil Pressure Light is on

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Poppe, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

ENGINE NOT STARTING

Hey Guys,

I'm lost on what to do. I went to start my bike on Saturday, and my OIL PRESSURE light stayed illuminated when I turned the key. All other lights lit up and did their thing, including the speedometer, but when I go to start the bike, the engine won't turn on.

I thought maybe I was low on oil for and that was the issue as I hadn't checked in the oil in about 1K miles, so I ordered a bottle of the ENI 10w-60 and added about .5L to the bike. Still nothing.

What do I do next? I'm so lost and not mechanically inclined. I don't now if I should add the other .5L left and keep trying, or where to even start.

[I'm located in Los Angeles, so the weather has been around 50 degrees in the evening and 70 when I went to start it]

Thank you.

EDIT - Just want to say sorry if the post wasn't clear in the title. Kept getting an error if I had the words "engine was dead"

2. Poppe

OKAY... So I figured it out. My bike was throwing a false neutral. So essentially it was in 1st gear even though the neutral light was on. Man I feel stupid for not checking that. I've had so many clutch issues, I should have known to check that.

vagrant likes this.
  3. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Been there, done that.

Mayakovski and Poppe like this.
  4. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    Yes, indeed.

The list of head-smackers in my case is very long. :giggle:

Bill

Poppe and john zibell like this.
  5. Poppe

Ha. The stupidity I felt... Oh man. And I missed such a beautiful Sunday ride because of it. Doh!! Haha.

6. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

Never trust the neutral light. If it is on you may not be in neutral. And if it is off you may be in a neutral.
    Welcome to Italian transmissions. That ain't really a Guzzi thing, it is also a common Ducati issue.

7. Moto_Max

Moto_Max Cruisin' Guzzisti

Glad it was nothing big. Everyone makes silly mistakes. I can't tell you how many times I ride customer bikes around from my service department to the front of the store for customers to get on and ride off. Only for them to come back in with full gear on telling me their bike wont start now. It's always the kill switch.

8. jpv7

jpv7 Tuned and Synch'ed

Make sure your oil is not over-filled now...not good.

Poppe likes this.
  9. Poppe

The oil pressure light is coming back on now when accelerating from a stop. Is this just a common thing to have to top off the bike every 500 - 1000 miles?

10. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

On a new small block yes. If you have over 5K miles, no.

If the oil level is above the add mark and the oil pressure light is coming on then you have a different issue. Could be the sending unit, could be the oil pickup point has an issue and the list goes on. Best to have this checked out by a reputable shop.

Poppe likes this.
  11. Poppe

Only have 3500 on the engine. So are you thinking it's best to have them check it out on the 5K service and then give it a bit afterwards to see if it settles?

12. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I wouldn't wait. Oil is the life blood of the engine. If you are having actual pressure drops you may be getting damage. It sounds like you should still be under warranty.

Poppe likes this.
  13. Poppe

Thanks, I appreciate the fast response.

One last question, if you don't mind. I've actually never had a vehicle with a warranty. Do I need to take it back to a dealer (150 miles away), or could I hit up Todd since he's closer and I'd much rather have him handling my bike?

14. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

P.I. in Glendale is your local dealer, steer away from S.O. I would be more then happy to have a look at it for you to let you know what the issue is. I stock most problematic parts these days (while most "dealers" don't), and a lot of them are shockingly cheap these days. Ping me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Poppe likes this.
  15. Poppe

Got it thanks Todd. I'll hit you up. I'm currently knee deep in work, so no riding for me lately. But I'd much rather have your team my only source for maintenance. Thank you!

16. avlis

avlis Tuned and Synch'ed

700 miles on my 2018 V7III and the oil pressure light stays lit about 5 seconds (it feels like 5 minutes) after cold-starting. Is this normal or something to worry about?

17. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

Have you done the first service yet? If so what oil was used.

18. avlis

avlis Tuned and Synch'ed

First service not done. Soon.

19. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

if a dealer is doing it have him put a oil pressure gauge on it before doing anything else. if not you need to.
    My only other WAG is they serviced it with 15/50 oil and in your colder climate it might be too thick to get pressure right away.

20. avlis

avlis Tuned and Synch'ed

I did the first service and it seems better. Cold start this morning and the oil light was on for only a couple seconds.