• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil

drbulloch

Just got it firing!
Well it's time to change the oils myself. You can get 10W-60 engine oil at the BMW showroom OK, but AGIP no longer offer what Guzzi recommend for the gearbox and transmission. What do the experts suggest?

Edit; sorry.

Castrol do hve the oils you need. Probably others as well.

I've been using a semi-sythetic Honda oil, with the SG rating. I think it's 15w-50 or 20w-50. I don't worry that it's not 60 weight, given how Guzzi has vacillated between different oil weights themselves. I am happy to find an SG rated oil. This Honda oil can be hard to find, as not all dealer carry it.

Joe

At my old age I do not cut corners, especially when it comes to my motor vehicles. I use "Motorex Power Synt 4T Fully Synthetic SAE 10w/60." I get it in a gallon container from my dealer Moto-Nexus in Hendersonville NC. Sure it is not cheap, but to me it is worth it. :D

Bill

Ditto on the Motorex for the crank. As to tranny/rear, MPH in Houston, with probably more Carc experioence than anyone in the US, is totally fine with Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in both, which I have been using. Other than the early supplier issue with the Carc bearings, totally non-oil related, there just aren't any significant numbers if any reports of problems with the tranny/rear ends on these puppies.

Oh boy! an oil thread! :geek:

I had trouble getting 10W60 as well. I use 10W50 synthetic, but the book says 15W50 if 10W60 is not available. Most important according to Guzziology is to make sure it is SG rated and not a later grade. The reason is that later grades reduce the phosphorus content to improve the longevity of catalytic converters in cars and that apparently, is bad.

Or you could use yak fat...

The main issue is to change it regularly and check it often, whatever you use.

Food for thought from another (non-Guzzi) Forum I frequent...

Just got a test report back, ~1,100 miles on new motor using Agip 10W60, everything looks OK for new; high copper and silicon normal. The oil sheared down to a viscosity of 13.03 cSt. It should be between 19 and 23, which means the oil went down to a low of 30W, high 40W. Mobil-1 20w50 @1,300 miles (other new bike) came back at a viscosity of just over 17,3 cSt. Looks like a good grade 20w50 will serve better in high temps.

GT-Rx said:
Food for thought from another (non-Guzzi) Forum I frequent...

Just got a test report back, ~1,100 miles on new motor using Agip 10W60, everything looks OK for new; high copper and silicon normal. The oil sheared down to a viscosity of 13.03 cSt. It should be between 19 and 23, which means the oil went down to a low of 30W, high 40W. Mobil-1 20w50 @1,300 miles (other new bike) came back at a viscosity of just over 17,3 cSt. Looks like a good grade 20w50 will serve better in high temps.

I always thought the Guzzi requirement for Agip 10W60 was a back door handshake between two Italian companies. That viscosity test revealed that Mobil 1, even at a 50 weight maintain viscosity at a better level than the Agip. I've always used Mobile 1, and it looks like I will continue to do so.

You pocket-protector science types make me retch. For me, it's gotta be Italian oil for Italian moto-art. :p

OK, I admit to being a liberal-arts kind of guy who spent most of my time in high school and college science classes musing on the possibilities of getting lucky with some of the lasses seated near me. That said, I read the data to be in the "not enough difference to effect real-world riding" category. Am I wrong?

Even I am wrong, I don't regret any of those misspent hours in science classes. :laugh:

Bill

drbulloch said:
Well it's time to change the oils myself. You can get 10W-60 engine oil at the BMW showroom OK, but AGIP no longer offer what Guzzi recommend for the gearbox and transmission. What do the experts suggest?

What DrBulloch's asking for are tranny oils, not motor oils... ;)

Do use a hypoid oil for the rear gearbox/bevel gear. If you stick to the specs, you won't need any moly-smear. There are a lot of options, of which I cannot remember any; just be sure they are GL-5.
Guess you can have Redline in the States :whistle: , they do have oils for your bike.

Thank you for all the answers, especially Holt. I have got Penrite Hypoid 80W-90 for the gearbox and Penrite Hypoid 85W-140 for the rear drive, both GL-5 oils.

Washing the bike tonight, I notice that the gearbox drain plug is very near the cross-over, but that is in another post.

Thanks again,

Charlie

drbulloch said:
Washing the bike tonight, I notice that the gearbox drain plug is very near the cross-over, but that is in another post.

Charlie

If you feel lucky today, you can loosen the cross over and pivot the can for better access. Oil will flow over the the whole thing anyway. If you can't pivot the can, the solution is a Stucchi cross-over.

here's the before-and after-thing. Again.

- and the obligatory warning for U.S. only: don't try to do this at home, wear goggles and hearing aids. And don't use it for drying your cat. :p

1436120289_bf58ed51de.jpg

4039740435_1e764c8afd.jpg

For decades, I have used 15W40 diesel engine oil in my 1984 V65Sp. I do not abuse it, but do ride it long miles at a good clip (~6,000 rpm) and have had no need to work on the engine. It works for me.

Back