Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Old Dondo Race Videos

Discussion in 'Racing' started by GTM®, Feb 5, 2009.

1. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

2. SgtCrump

SgtCrump Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Ahh..yes that was a great weekend!!

Thanks for digging those clips out!!

3. dimitris

dimitris Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for sharing it with us! Nice videos!

4. pikehk

pikehk Tuned and Synch'ed

holy crap dude! I didn't know those old bikes would handle like that. That is the best video I have seen in a long time. You need some onboard MotoGP shots of that. Maybe get a helicopter to film it while you are at it. :woohoo:

5. Papasloan

Papasloan Cruisin' Guzzisti

Awesome. I love that stuff. Too bad they werent longer.

6. Fader

Fader Tuned and Synch'ed

Yeah we got Miles to take it out to 2 events or so. He only rode it about 1/10 of the speed of Todd. Not as exciting but still great to watch it go around the track. A lot of work to keep it running at the track, but REALLY cool when it does.

7. guzzibob

guzzibob GT Reference

Somebody ought to re-tell the full story of when Todd was racing this thing, ie pulling apart the brake drums to find no shoes inside-AFTER the race, the competition with the turbo/super charged BMW, etc. Good story.

8. GTM®

guzzibob wrote:
    My write up HERE.

We didn't find out the braking drum had separated from the magnesium hub until Miles bought, and dissected it, a few years later. It is true that it had no front brake while I raced it... and seeing the 21" dia. wheels/2" wide tires made it even more, uh, "fun."

9. guzzibob

guzzibob GT Reference

Great story, glad to see it rerun. So bottom line, you were racing with essentially no front brake, & a rear sprocket so wrong that you couldn't even use top gear, right-& still finished second.

The 1st place BMW twin-wasn't it turbo or supercharged? Didn't he appear to avoid racing against you later? Wouldn't you have obviously cleaned his clock with the proper gearing & an actual operating front brake?

10. GTM®

guzzibob wrote:
    Correct, no front brake and sorely improper gearing at Firebird. The San Jose BMW R51 Kompressor was 15 yrs. well-sorted, yes. A few months later at Pahrump, NV the BMW rider withdrew from the classes I entered, as yes, I think he sensed defeat... this would've still been without a front brake, as it was not found until a year or so later. ;)

11. SgtCrump

SgtCrump Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I remember shooting a short video clip of Todd at Pahrump. He was so far ahead that no other bike appears in the clip.