• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

old fuel warning

Colin Beechey

Just got it firing!
I thought petrol took about 6 months to degrade but recently found otherwise after getting my Breva 750 out of its Winter hibernation. The fuel in the bike was only 3 months old but on a run I had overheating and running problems including my EFI warning light coming on. After a few miles I suddenly lost power and the EFI light came on. It seemed as if the Breva was running on only 1 cylinder. Not daring to stop in case it would not restart I stupidly kept going until I reached home. The left cylinder and exhaust was extremely hot, so much that my left silencer was very 'blued', as was the exhaust pipe. I can only put this down to the 3 month old fuel as new fuel in the tank the next day fixed the problem.
Next Winter I will drain the fuel before I lay up the bike for Winter, lesson learned!

There may be variations in fuel qualities worldwide. (I know there are.)
Yesterday I finally was able to take the first tour on the Breva, since late October last year, after the longest and coldest winter since the mid-80's.
It has been standing in hibernation since then (October, not the 80's :dry: :mrgreen: ), with just a few liters in the tank.
And it fired right up, after I re-installed the battery, which have been standing in the shed, on a tender.

Gas degrades more quickly in the US because 10% ethanol is the new "normal." I used Stabil last fall, and four months later it started and ran fine on the old fuel.

But your problem doesn't sound like a bad gas issue. Did you ever figure it out?

Joe

Despite thinking fresh fuel had cured my problems my EFI light came on again several times during a long 200 mile run yesterday. This time I stopped and waited. The engine would reluctantly start after about 15 mins and then would run fine for 20 miles or so until the same thing occured.I managed to get home ok.
I am off to the dealers to get it hooked up to the Axone for diagnosis of my problem - bound to be expensive. I will post what the fault is!

Likely to be the lambda/02 sensor by the sounds of it. Do keep us updated.

Yeah, it could also be a sticking injector, happened to me on a Buell, or water in the gas.
If something screws up the combustion and you end up with too much or too little oxygen in the exhaust, the O2 sensor will tell the ecu to add more or less fuel to bring it back to the middle. If it hits the end of the available correction allowed it may throw up a flag and say there is a problem with the O2 sensor, but the problem might be with something else (like the injector or coil) but the ecu only knows the O2 sensor is not giving it the value it expects. It just doesn't know why. I point this out because my Buell told me my O2 sensor was bad (error code said O2 sensor) and I replaced it but the issue did not go away. A bit more trouble shooting and I found a sticking injector.

Well I am back from the Guzzi workshop, Moto Corsa near Ringwood in the UK. They have many years experience in motorcycle fuel injection.
Getting to Moto Corsa was a 50 mile ride and made exciting by the EFI light coming on twice while in heavy traffic - luckily the loss of power was short lived!
It turned out to be 2 things. First my battery was almost knackered and not holding charge. The fuel injection system relies on resistance readings to work correctly. Once the new battery was installed the bikes computer showed, when connected to the Axone diagnostic machine that the engine temperature sensor was not operating within its expected parameters. This probably explains why it was intermittant rather than the sensor not working at all.
New sensor fitted and all is now perfect, done 200 miles since and the breva is running how it used to! Apart from the expense life is good again.

Back