• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Old rider, new member - needs advice on first Guzzi

tngarren

Just got it firing!
New member here. Never had a Guzzi but have dreamed of owning one for years. Would appreciate some advice.

1) My favorite style is the Eldorado. I will need to add panniers and a windscreen for touring. Am I being foolish for not buying a California?

2) Should I have any worries about maintenance and parts for the 1400 models that Guzzi has discontinued.

Thank you.

New member here. Never had a Guzzi but have dreamed of owning one for years. Would appreciate some advice.

1) My favorite style is the Eldorado. I will need to add panniers and a windscreen for touring. Am I being foolish for not buying a California?

2) Should I have any worries about maintenance and parts for the 1400 models that Guzzi has discontinued.

Thank you.
I bought my Eldo back in 2015 and added a screen and soft panniers. These days the OEM screen is very hard to get and likewise the hard panniers, so if you really want to go that way you are probably better off to buy a Cali, most OEM accessories are getting hard to find. Various panniers are available from Hepco Becker, they are available from the store on this site. There is a specific kit for the Eldorado because it has a much deeper rear guard. Maintenance is pretty straight forward as with any Guzzi if you are hands on in that department. Many parts like starter motor etc are common across various models. Mine has covered 85,000kms since 2015 with nothing but regular maintenance and a replacement starter motor. There have been a few electronic gremlins that pop up from time to time but overall the 1400's are as reliable as any other bike I would say. If you browse the forum most things have been covered over time.

Kanyaka

I say get the EL Dorado I think it's a great bike I have used it for touring and with the set up I have 500 mile days are good. I too understand that the factory windshields are hard to find but handlebar mount windshields can be made to work I made a bar that attaches to the chrome bar around the passenger seat that I can attach a bag to, the bag sits on the passenger seat. If you travel two up this would not work. I never had a Moto Guzzi before and I too loved the looks of the bike. Like alot of things in life you gotta like the way it looks.

Attachments

• 20220715_151728.jpg
    20220715_151728.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 14

Thank you.

1. Yes. The California TOURING has all this already present. No adapting to fit, no muss, no fuss. PLUS, you get cast wheels. Spokes wheels may look nice initially, but are a maintanence problem all the time. And, the Eldorado has a habit of breaking the rear fender mounts due to the extra unsupported mass hanging down low.

2. No, IF you plan on doing ALL maintenance yourself. OEM parts are available but many accessory parts are discontinued. ALL parts are very pricey compared to other brands.

I was in same situation three years ago. I was waffling between the two but in the end the styling of the Eldorado won me out. Buy what you love and you'll never regret it over small stuff. The Eldorado handles a little bit mor nimbly due to the smaller diameter tires. The styling is a show stopper wherever you go. Had mine for three years with nary a problem except for engine running hotter on one side that I've just been too lazy to address. Parts are crazy expensive across the entire line so be warned. I've been looking for a pannier solution for awhile now. I don't like the style of the Hepco Becker even though their function can't be beat. I'm warming up to the factory bags, just not the price. My procrastination may make the decision for me as soon they won't be found. I just mounted the rear passenger boards to the tune of $800.00 but keeping the Misses happy keeps the account open for more parts! I haven't had one issue with the spoke wheels except for keeping them clean and I've monitored the rear fender as I read about that prior to purchase. She's taken care of me to this point and I love her to no ends. Eldorado GIF

I was in same situation three years ago. I was waffling between the two but in the end the styling of the Eldorado won me out. Buy what you love and you'll never regret it over small stuff. The Eldorado handles a little bit mor nimbly due to the smaller diameter tires. The styling is a show stopper wherever you go. Had mine for three years with nary a problem except for engine running hotter on one side that I've just been too lazy to address. Parts are crazy expensive across the entire line so be warned. I've been looking for a pannier solution for awhile now. I don't like the style of the Hepco Becker even though their function can't be beat. I'm warming up to the factory bags, just not the price. My procrastination may make the decision for me as soon they won't be found. I just mounted the rear passenger boards to the tune of $800.00 but keeping the Misses happy keeps the account open for more parts! I haven't had one issue with the spoke wheels except for keeping them clean and I've monitored the rear fender as I read about that prior to purchase. She's taken care of me to this point and I love her to no ends.View attachment 26147
The Hepco & Becker C Bow system can be made to work with most after market panniers, you can buy all the parts separately.

Thank you.
Hey there. If you have not made the call yet, I also did the same a year ago. The touring seemed much too heavy compared to the Eldo when I looked at both, but I can see the attraction of it for sure. The Eldo is still a 'big' bike but once rolling all good. I have only just finished fabricating brackets to mount Saddleman saddlebags and a Rear 'bag' to my Eldo - as well as a 'Harley' aftermarket curved /larger back rest. I'll take a pic and post it shortly. Near killed me but looks much better than most I have seen, and used the 'slant' ones so really complements the styling and that rear guard. If you wanting to ride with a pillion the Eldo rear seat is bollocks - useless. I think I bought the last 'black non-gel' California seat in the world new to replace it with... made the changes, and it was more cramped than the original Eldo one, as the rider seat is much 'longer/deeper' and neither of us is...um...small. Almost finished making a new pillion seat..... In my barely 12 mths ownership the Eldorado is totally useless if you want to ride somewhere and have people not look or come over and say nice things when you stop. All the best, you wont be dissapointed with either once you get used to that 'pull to the right' sensation.

Back