• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

One last question (I promise) Rockerboxes

Steve uk

Tuned and Synch'ed
:p

Have any of 8v owners had broblems with your rocker covers leaking oil?

I picked the bike up on Saturday, cam followers all sorted out, had a nice ride home When I pulled up in front of the house I found that both the rockerbox gaskets had leaked over the barrels, were wet with oil. I called the store to let them know, will sort it out hopefully this week. My machine has had two of the holes helicoiled already, as the threads have pulled. As you might have gathered...this is not the first time this has happened.

:S

S

Find a new shop. You don't need ham fisted apes working on your bike. The cover screws should never be overtightened. T-handle wrench and finger tip pressure is all that is needed to secure the cover. I'm hoping Pete will chime in about the o-ring in the cover as I haven't worked on an 8 valve yet.

Jesus Steve? Have you shot a chinaman recently? You're really not having any luck here are you?

The gaskets are a thick, plasticky type thing like those used on the cam covers of most Jap bikes and around the retaining screws there are what are described as 'Tampons' which are simply sealing washers made of the same stuff.

Judging from the fact that with the cam recall shite you get gaskets and tampons my guess is that you're supposed to change 'em every time you take the covers off. I've had mine off at least half a dozen times and mine are still oiltight. I have spares I bought 'Just in case' but I haven't had to use them.

I simply wipe down the mating surface on the head and rocker cover, dry the gasket with a clean rag and stick it into the groove in the rocker cover 'Dry'. It seems to sit there OK if you hold the edges with your fingies. Then check the o-ring in the bit that goes around the spark plug 'Tube' and lube it with rubber grease, (Replacing it if it looks dodgy.). After that I simply offer it up to the top ofthe head and give the cover a little wriggle to get it over the 'Tube' and push it into place.

The cap-bolts that hold them on, (and there are only four of them.) are M6 thread so they need very little torque. As John says, a 'T' bar and a light 'Nip' is all that is required, there is a bit of give in the plasticky stuff of the gasket and tampons and that should keep the bolts under tension and their large 20mm or so wide heads mean that friction on the 'Tampons' will stop them unwinding.

If the cam work has been done then you SHOULD of got new gaskets and tampons and one would hope some half-wit hasn't decided to put litres of Gorilla Snot on them to 'Help them seal'. It seems to me to be a good, simple, elegant, system. I can't see why it would leak unless something has been botched up or the mating surfaces damaged???

Pete

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies :)

Now that I'm sat here, thinking about it... AFAIR, from day one I'd been saying to the store that they'd been throwing oil. After the first service I had to go back again and get them re-seated, was then the helicoils were fitted. It stayed oil tight until now. From a deisgn point of view I don't understand why there aren't steel inserts in the holes, like you say they're only M6 and the alley in the head is cheddar cheese soft.

I'll give them a call tomorrow, get it fixed. Unfortunately I need the bike to get around on today....So it'll just have to grin and bear it.

Cheers,

S

It sounds to me like they are trying to stop a leak by over tightening them. Don't let them do that, they are damaging things.

I measured the clearances on my valves before it left the shop. It was obvious how it worked and 'fixing' a leak by tightening the fasteners is just going to break parts.

Guzzi have been using M6 screws to hold the rocker boxes on since year dot, I have certainly never pulled a thread on any, nor have had leak problems. I see no reason why the later models should be any different.

Well...Got the bike back on Saturday morning, was told that it's aquired yet another helicoil. Cold idle is still as bad as ever.

Now...As I was standing there listenening to the engine, there's an additional sound to the normal tappet rumble, in the left hand pot. To start I thought I was being paranoid, but my neighbour, who was chatting with me could hear it also. It's not a loud sound, sounds like it's coming from the either the cam chain tunnel, or the cam sprocket. Ian remarked(Somewhat comically) it sounded a bit like a train, makes a "chuff, chuff.........chuff, chuff......chuff,chuff......chuff,chuff" sound. We did speculate wether there was some backlash, or something with the timing chain. We listened both sides of the bike, absent from the right pot, definately in the left. I even did the old mechanics trick of listening to the mechanical sound by placing the blade of a screwdriver on the top of where I thought the problem might be, holding the blunt end of the driver to my ear.

Any ideas?

All the best,

Steve

<Edit> I had another listen to it at lunch today, the odd sound is further forward than the cam chain tunnel and lower down, sounds more toward the gearnut end of things. They're going to collect it again on Thursday, I'll let you know if they find anything, oh I timed the cold idle as well...4 minutes is the minimum before it'll idle on it's own. Anything before that and it just cuts out.

Back