• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Opinions please. V7 or V7II

Well, for the difference in price you can buy a lot of options. I recently picked up a closeout on 2015 V7 Special and have been quite impressed with the bike. I've run it a fair way at 70-75 mph with no issues whatsoever. I did have the Biturbo shocks put on it (got a good deal on them) because the stock shocks on the Special (and the Stone V7 or V7II) really suck.

I'd go with the racer if she likes it. Adding a chrome tank to a different bike later will set you back nearly $1,000. How the bike looks is important to all of us, so if she wants a chrome tank she'll always have some buyer's remorse for not getting it. If she doesn't like the riding position with the clip-ons the Racer uses the same upper fork clamp as the other V7s. You can buy a riser & bar to put on the bike (about $200). The racer seat is superior to the other seats (another $200-$300).

Whatever you buy budget $1,000 for extras that you will want (luggage rack, new shocks, maybe a seat, windscreen). Will vary based upon which one you get.

Tough choice. Good luck.

Dealership. Floor model that they had to rob a part off of to help out another customer so they can't sell it until they receive the part form Moto Guzzi. I gave them my name and number and told them to call me.

My son had his Aprilia Scooter stolen recently and his Mom has given us the green light for a real motorcycle (he's in college). When we bought the Scoot Mom said OK but no "real motorcycle for 5 years" ----- a year ago. no comprehensive on the Aprilia but it hit me this morning how the Scooter cost less than most of his mountain bikes. Still what upsets us is we just got done with new fork springs, fork oil, coolent flush, engine oil, tranny oil, valves, fuel pump, front & rear brakes as well as a new set of tires. I bet they'll hock it for a $100 or so.

I'm looking at making a 24 hour road trip to pick up a '15 V7 for less than $7,500 out the door in a couple of weeks. I want him to experience some of the misery of loosing the scoot.

I figure the savings will pay for bike alarm, reflash, front springs, rear shocks, muffler, intake, back rack, new helmet, gloves, ear plugs.

I'm fronting most of the cost, he will pay some. I'm thinking that in a few years when he's out of college he'll want something else and I'll have a perfect candidate for a V9 4v 'tech upgrade.

Well, I have just about decided that regardless of the price I would probably go for the V7II. But having just heard rumor that the dealer I use in Utah is considering dropping Moto Guzzi and the fact that I haven't been able to ride my cali in three months and my Griso seems to be running so lean in the mid range I'm afraid to ride it any more I'm gonna take the wife to go look at the new street twin by Triumph. Not near the bike in my opinion but my wife would be beside herself if her bike had to be down like my Guzzis.

I've got a 2007 Bonneville and those bikes are solid as a rock. If the price close between that V7II and that Triumph 900 I'd put my money on the Triumph for sure. I like my V7 as a second bike, but the potential for down time with the Guzzi is far more likely then my Triumph. My starter went out and it was a 2 month wait to get a new starter from Guzzi. Other thing I don't like is how big a job it is to replace a clutch on a Guzzi. I've heard the parts issues with such a job can be big time problems. Just hope I never get there with this V7. There is a post up on the WIld Guzzi forum about some guy that had his V7 catch fire, was down a couple months and now the clutch went out. I guess they are going to give him a new V7II or something like that. These bikes are not that solid from stuff I've read on here and other places. I'm very comfortable with my Triumph ownership, not so much with this V7.

A friend of mine's brother had a friend who's sister knew a guy that used to work with a guy that had a V7 and he said it was the best bike he ever owned. WG is a cesspool of inaccuracies, inflated egos, and posers. In many cases, the data presented is only half a story and what is not said is far more important that what IS said. Be careful spreading that crap around.

Last edited:
I had a 2011 Triumph Bonneville for 4 years, bought new. 10,000 miles, no issues, solid bike. But compared to the Guzzis I've owned it was a pretty boring ride so its gone.

I've ridden 30,000 miles in the last two years. 70% of those miles were on 4 different Guzzis, with zero problems. I take that back, I did have to replace a leaky valve cover gasket on my 2006 Griso - cost me about $5.

Interesting thing about motorcycle forums is that you will always hear the worst of the worst: people frustrated with the situation or more likely, looking for assistance on an issue.

The small block Guzzi has been in production for so long that all of the gremlins that can be exorcised have been. Buy either one, ride it, maintain it, and don't look back.

A friend of mine's brother had a friend who's sister knew a guy that used to work with a guy that had a V7 and he said it was the best bike he ever owned. WG is a cesspool of inaccuracies, inflated egos, and posers. In many cases, the data presented is only half a story and what is not said is far more important that what IS said. Be careful spreading that crap around.

I agree 100 percent on that WG forum. Lot of attitude in that place for sure. I'd rather come over here because you guys just hit the point and are not all that much judgmental on stuff. As you know I can get a little out into left field as with that breather system experiment. I can only imagine the flak I would have taken on that WG forum with my experiments. I can get a little like that mad scientist on back to the future.

my Griso seems to be running so lean in the mid range I'm afraid to ride it any more

You know Todd has these fancy reflash thingy's under fueling that would probably cure your problem without disassembly. My G11 has been reflashed, works great but I was saving my Shekels to go full Power Commander closed loop with another mod but that ain't going to happen now with the boy's need to ride.

So, the story on my V7 is the opposite of that guy in WG with the bad luck. My V7 was in a house fire. Pretty much torched on top and the left side. Bought the bike off an insurance recovery centre for a song, spent $1000 to repair the damage. That was 3 years ago and the bike has be dead reliable (knock on wood). So, there are too many variables to make broad sweeping statements as above.

Honestly, I think one of the advantages of a Guzzi is the reliability. Once the initial work has been done to fix any known issues (and Guzzi is not the only brand with known issues) Guzzi's have a tendency to be seriously reliable and last for a very long time. We have four of them, and ride them across states without worry.

Honestly, I think one of the advantages of a Guzzi is the reliability. Once the initial work has been done to fix any known issues (and Guzzi is not the only brand with known issues) Guzzi's have a tendency to be seriously reliable and last for a very long time. We have four of them, and ride them across states without worry.

And the smallblock is a good example of that, at least before the "new" engine in 2013. Before that they had kept the same engine and frame for over 20 yrs, so all issues had been worked out.

It wasn't cutting edge, and didn't have the latest whiz-bang technology, but the latest tech can reduce reliability.

I agree 100 percent on that WG forum. Lot of attitude in that place for sure. I'd rather come over here because you guys just hit the point and are not all that much judgmental on stuff. As you know I can get a little out into left field as with that breather system experiment. I can only imagine the flak I would have taken on that WG forum with my experiments. I can get a little like that mad scientist on back to the future.

I don't even know what WG forum is ( and seriously i don't care so please nobody explain)... Still chuckling at this thread though. I get the jist of it :))

I bought a leftover NEW 2014 Racer for $8, 500 Canadian here in Quebec... which is essentially the cost of the same bike USED. So it was a no brainer and hence, I now have money for extras that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I had always loved the Racer so this was a win win for me. I know that the bike sold for less at some other shops but I bonded with mine so no big deal!;)

20150924_094045.jpg

lThat racer is got to be one of the best looking bikes ever put on the market of all time. It's all about eye candy from stem to stern with that bike.

I'd love to have one in the middle of my living room on a rotating turn table just to look at it during TV commercials.

My prediction those Racers are going to all become very very collectable items.

Sort of like that 1976 BMW R90S in that orange silver smoke job.

Last edited:
pokeyjoe: Thanks! Will do, any other advice or suggestions is welcomed.

elkgrichard: Agreed, and that is exactly where mine will end up during the winter months here in my neck of the woods. It is art on wheels imho.

Check and make sure the clutch cable is not up against the jug. Most of us have used a tie strap to make sure that cable is not up against the inside of the right jug which will melt that cable and cause the cable to fail.

Valve adjustment is easy, one beer job, intake .006, exhaust .008. Oil level like to be between the lines, if you get it up to that top line it spits oil into the airox.

Make sure they download the latest flash into the ECU. They had a better download come out sometime in 2015 I think. That newer flash helped out a great deal with cold starting.

When filling the transmission do it on the side stand because you won't be able to get 1 LITER, 1000 cc's into that transmission with it on the center stand. Make sure you put in one liter and not one quart. Heads up on that one 1 QT leaves it at a low level which is not good for fifth gear.

The rear drive I measure that out and fill, 170CC's, if you fill to the lip of that fill plug it will end up slightly over filled and spit oil out the breather.

I would purchase the extended sump which gives you about 1 quart more oil. Peace of mind type thing.

When you change the rear tire make damn sure you grease those drive shaft splines.

Buy the center stand and euro side stand, it really comes in handy.

Engine fill with extended sump is 2.5 liters or 2,500 cc's.

Change out the fuel filter using an all metal NAPA 3032. That half plastic one will eventually split open because of the ethanol in the fuel.

First service make sure you toque the head bolts. 10mm, 33 ft lbs, 8mm 23 ft lbs. After that you never need to check them again. Or so they say.

Be prepared for difficulty turning around on a ride and heading home. I don't know how many times a simple 20 mile ride turn into 150 mile ride. I still find myself making rides longer.

After owning 35 motorcycles this bike is my favorite and will always be my favorite bike.

Myself I changed the front fork oil from 10 weight to 7.5 weight and that helped it become more fluid for me anyway. 185 lbs. I found the ten weight oil for me lacked absorbing the small stuff.

You have better rear shocks on the racer then the Stone so don't know how that will work for you.

Spark plug gap .031-.035

If you want better spark plug caps, I would go with the NGK XD05F8072, plugs for those caps are NGK CR9EK4548.

Last edited:
Back