Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

OT: battery chargers

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by arbik, Mar 25, 2009.

1. arbik

arbik Just got it firing!

Greetings,

So i did the unthinkable, and left the keys on, on my Centauro overnight. So the battery is dead as dead.
    I currently only have a 1Amp battery tender, so I dont think its up to the task of recharging the battery.

I'd like to buy something universal, that I can use for charging car or motorcycle batteries, use it as a trickle charger, and also, use it to jump the motorcycle, if it needs a jump. All this, without breaking the bank.

What are you guys using to accomplish these tasks?
    Right now, I'm thinking of going with this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871222000P

I dont mind spending a bit more, and getting something I can use for a lifetime...

I'd appreciate your inputs,

thanks,

-arbi

2. guzzi jon

guzzi jon High Miler GT Contributor

Arbi,
    I still use a $29 pep boys charger that has 2 and 10 amp settings, auto detects full charge etc. bought the sucker over 20 years ago, use on cars, bikes and one boat

3. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Arbi, my stepson has one of the Sears chargers. It brought the Darth Quota battery back from death. Did the same on one of his cars. Recommended. :)
    Edit: Oh, just remembered, I suppose you know *not* to jump the Centauro?

4. Fader

Fader Tuned and Synch'ed

We use 2 chargers like that here at the shop, and I use one like that at home. Work fine. And FYI, a 1amp charger will most likely fry itself before bringing back a completely dead battery.

5. RJVB

RJVB GT Reference

Don't have my charger here at the moment, but I do think it's a 1amp thingy. I brought back an old-style battery with it that had sat for weeks in the cold and undoubtedly had frozen. Took a couple of days, but both battery and charger are fine ;)

6. Cat City Rider

Cat City Rider Cruisin' Guzzisti

I think I have the same Sears charger that Jon has for about 30 years. When the rocker switch broke I replaced it with a toggle switch that I "liberated" from work. I used it on a 27 foot sailboat for ten years. Rusted, and looks like crap but it has saved me on several occasions with dead car batteries and one old Convert battery.
    If you are err "thrifty" or cheap like me, join the Craftsman Club online at: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsmanclub/ and then wait for a good sale plus the Craftsman Club discount.

7. arbik

arbik Just got it firing!

Thanks for all the inputs guys.
    It turns out, it takes about 3 days, for that little 1amp charger to charge up my battery from 0-100% (or as close to it as it can).
    the bike starts strong, like it did before, and the trickle charger's light turns green, when i plug it in now.
    Goes to show you, well thought out products, actually are worth the money.
    I think I'll still get one of the sears chargers, just because they will come in handy for jumps, and for short charging time needs, but at least I can punt until I find one on sale somewhere..

thanks again,

-arbi

8. Papasloan

Papasloan Cruisin' Guzzisti

I have a 10 amp non Sears charger. I think SOLAR. Had it for 20 years. charges the boat and the bikes. I also have a Battery Tender for the bikes now. The Sears would be a good investment.