• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Outlaw Ride '09 4/27-4/29

guzzibob wrote:
Why would any of us want to participate in that zoo scene? Any of you own a doo-rag and/or assless chaps, shortie helmet?

You're right...sorry...I lost my head.......can you ever forgive me????

ONE WEEK. Looking forward to seeing my Outlaw friends from last year and the new riders who aspire to become Outlaws. You riders from last year that can't make it...we sort of understand your fear. This year will be tougher, but so are we.

By & large, weather looking really really good-as good as it gets this time of year. Even in Tucson, highs in upper 80's-pretty moderate for Tucson. Elsewhere, at altitude, sunny, highs in 60's & 70's. No sign of rain anywhere on the route. Only potential problem-possible high wind gusts around Alpine-up to 50-70 mph gusts if you believe Accuweather, less if you believe weather.com. With some luck, maybe that will abate, or push back a couple days to get out of our way. No doubt Larry has alternate routing in mind in case.

LAST UPDATE:

Anybody planning to meet up with us at the last or just to run around a bit. We are meeting at Reb's Cafe, 1020 W. 4th St. Benson, AZ for breakfast at 8AM on Tuesday.

Sent Jam on her way this morning to meet Bobby-O D. I will see you guys tomorrow late day. You'll see why when I arrive. Look forward to seeing the Motley Crue.

That's good news. Most of the :eek:hmy: Oh-Oh!:eek:hmy: (Original Outlaws) have had family or work issues and can't make it. Weather will be better, gas cheaper and time planned better. Too bad the economy sucks:angry:

Crap! Here I sit watching TV drinking martini #2 feeling jealous about the whole thing, waiting for my wife, hawk eye, to heal (again). Hope to see you Thursday Larry.
Not to sound callous, but this is her fourth surgery and we both grow weary.
Maybe her retina will be better this time around. :( :(

Best to you both CCR.

Lupo et al, LONG story, but RacerX isn't going to make it this year. Check your e-mail.

Have a great time boys and girls, and know I'm there in spirit. Take LOTS of pics.

X

So it's officially over... can't wait to see/hear the stories and *ALL* of the photos.

Hope it was a relatively eventful trek. ;)

OK, I'm back. No pix, I don't take any-for me, distracts from the ride.

Best part, riding UP Devil's Highway, south to north, rather than reverse last year. Main thing, way, way less trash on the road than last year. Had a couple of moments, nothing realing bad, no one crashed here or anywhere else on the ride. Darrell on his Quota & Tyler in front as always, then Larry/Lupo & me, then Jamileh & Woody. Larry was way more comfortable/faster than last year, when I gather bad shocks & excess road trash really slowed him down, though maybe not as fast as he has been in the fast. Super good pace as far as I was concerned. Norge as presently constituted (stock shock with damping/preload jacked up from as delivered, Hyperpro springs/PD valve emulators up front), with the usual trip trash added on, stock bags & Givi top case, hence pipes lowered for bags, ride probably still a bit "plush" as Todd puts it-but WAY more controlled than as delivered. Despite added weight & lowered pipe/ground clearance as compared to LA canyon & mountain usage, never touched down anything anywhere, except for my left toe hanging off the peg once, but most importantly, never the very hard grinding centerstand as happens all too easily in stock trim. Since I consider this primarily my long distance bike, I'm satisfied. Last year, lots of pucker factor for most (not me on the mighty T3) on this road. This year, very little of that, lots & lots of fun, a super riding day.

After that, overnight in Payson, end of official Outlaw Ride, we scattered. Me & J & Woody went on to Prescott where J got a rear tire (down to wear bands) at Jim Knaup's shop, then she & I went home seperate routes, Woody stayed for rally. I had picked up a rear tire at first night's stop in Springerville, before Devil's Highway. Jim only had 1 tire (Conti) in the size J & I both needed (185-55/17), I didn't want to risk finding one "somewhere." Suzuki shop in Springerville called all over the area trying to find a tire for me, couldn't-so pulled a proper sized Bridgestone Battlax BT014R off a new showroom GSXR 750 to replace the Avon Roadsmart worn out at 6500. I gather that is a medium soft, not super soft compound. Probably won't last all that long on the Norge, but under the circumstances was happy they were willing to let me have it-for a price, of course-& mount it on the spot, commenting on how easy it was to do the job on the Norge. Considering the tire came off a GSXR, sure it must be worth an extra 10HP at least on the Norge :laugh: .

Other than the tire wear issues, only mechanical issues were Woody's semi-rat T3. He left Tucson late, met us at the motel in Springerville first night, arriving in the dark with headlight on. Next morning when he pushed starter button, got no click, no nothing. Jumper cable started from Tyler's bike, but even at high RPMS not enough juice to even run the turn signals or brake lights. Off we went anyway, bike then running real rough, on & off on one cylinder til Clarkdale. There, found bad spark plug, replaced by "spare" that looked as bad or worse than what it replaced-but cured the misfiring. Stranger-pushed starter button-& it started right up, ran fine from there to Prescott where we parted company-though of course daytime so headlight off may have helped- a lot. Woody's been having charging issues with this bike for months, replaced just about everything, so who knows?

That's it for me, I assume J will chime in with some photos & commentary when she gets the chance, ditto Larry when he gets back.

Overall, great roads, great people, nobody crashed, nobody got stuck, nobody got any tickets. Oh yeah, nice rally T-shirt too. Don, I got one for you.

I have no idea if getting the "photo album" on here will work - I'll tinker with it, so bear with me.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/jamileh1014 ... directlink

As Bob said, it was a great ride - especially Devil's Hwy, which is about 75 miles of pure riding ecstasy, to say nothing of the gorgeous scenery..... I took very few pix while on the DH, coz I was too busy enjoying the ride on the big red bomber....
Larry was again the host with the most - he and his family once again opened up Casa de Lupo to us, and kept us fed, "watered", and sheltered. Many thanks to Larry, his wife Saint Nelvia, and his kids for putting us up. Your generosity is much appreciated, as always, Larry.
Bob, Woody, and I had a great day after the rest of the gang split off - went thru Jerome - very fun road in and out of that cool little town (thanks to Mark for suggesting it!!).
Thurs afternoon, got well taken care of at Encore Performance and Fabrication in Prescott, with a new rear tire - a Continental Conti-Sport Attack, which I happen to really like - never had one before. Several people started arriving for the Prescott Rally - Brian had arrived from Cat City right before I shoved off for home.
Friday AM, had the last treat of the ride - Caliente-Bodfish Rd north from hwy 58 to Lake isabella, which I had been curious about for awhile. Very scenic, a little goaty, pretty isolated - perfect. Then took 155 west from LI to Glennville - not one single vehicle going in my direction on that whole 26-mile stretch of curves thru the southern Sierra. North of Glennville, came across a little cattle drive, which provided quite the show!!!
Thanks again to all of you for sharing some great roads, beautiful scenery, and good times - and safely, no less!!!!

It IS about the ride......

Thanks to you guy's for making the ride a S/W Tour. I do the roads around here and have fun but something else happens when you go "check this". Daryle and Wanda are a wealth of back road info and it was really cool for them laying out a route then having them kick it off from Benson. The local Boys, Woody and Darral rode with Arizona pride. One leading the drive and one rounding up strays. Tyler, the Nevada rep, was all over the place having all sorts of fun and proving that not everything stays in Vegas. Now to the crux of the biscuit (yes,Zappa), without the passion and desire to ride from Jamileh all the way from Central California or Bobby D. from SoCal the "check this" factor wouldn't have been there. Jami, you get MVP and Bob get's 9.37 attaboys. ;)

PS, you fluffy asses that didn't make it. You probably made the best choice for your abilities.:p

Back