• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Overseas Bikes

AllanK

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi All,
Just a couple of questions.
We all read about the opportunity to ship our bikes overseas and ride them round NZ, America, Europe etc and I guess that overseas owners can do the same with their bikes.
The question is, if I am over seas and on returning home decide not to incur the expense of bringing my bike home, can I sell it to a resident?
More importantly, if just say...just an example..not really thinking of it of course...Say someone came from the US and shipped their newly acquired bike (bought in the US) for a riding holiday in Australia and prior to their return to the US decided they did not want to keep the bike or incur the expense in bringing the bike back to the US, could he sell the bike to me ....I mean to someone?
AND could that someone then register the bike in Australia?
Any ideas from this side.

Thanks
Allan K

The simple answer is no, otherwise everybody would be doing it and avoiding import tax and duties, etc.

Often a vehicle can be exported to another country under a "carne", which allows temporary importation without paying any duty. But of course there are safeguards in place, and if the vehicle does not leave that country within a certain stated period, then penalties apply.

My understanding is Australia is one of the hardest countries to privately import a motorcycle. They've got you on all counts.

Also ANY machine manufactured after I think 1985 or so cannot be registered in Oz unless it was either a model never sold here, a 'Limited Edition' model with paperwork to prove its extraordinary nature or the importer has lived with it overseas for at least six months to prove a 'Personal attatchent' to the machine. The laws are wattertight and bulletproof. there is NO way around them. Yes, its stupid and it sucks, but it's what we have.

Pete

Having just been through the exercise of importing a bike to Australia it's not worth it unless the bike was manufactured prior to 1 January 1989 (same model run-ons are not allowed), an Australian resident lived with it and used it overseas for twelve months and can provide passport evidence or you're emigrating permanently to Australia. Bikes built after that date can still be imported but only if they're on the approved list, only if they've been bought and imported by registered workshops and they then have to be tested and certified as complying with design rules. It costs thousands, not hundreds of dollars. Even if you can somehow get the bike into the country it won't be able to be registered locally. The EU is similar. NZ on the other hand I think is unrestricted just as it is for cars so the market is flooded with grey imports from Japan.

Best way to take your bike around the world is under carnet because you keep your domestic registration and insurance is much easier. Shipping is so cheap now and so many firms are doing it it's a relatively small expense component of a long holiday.

Peter

In Sweden it's possible to import and register a used vehicle from the US, if you're a private person. There are som limitations concerning numbers (not more than 1 vehicle a year, making it difficult to make a business out of it) and paperwork.
But that's (a part of) Europe, of course. :silly:

Back