• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oxford heated grips Switched live Stelvio '08

Chadlebowski

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I've been trawling these forums but would appreciate some clarification,
I'm going to install a set of oxford grips to my Stelvio (old model).

If I use the connecters behind the LH fairing, will I then only be able to use the bikes controls to set the temp? I ask because having to stop to control the setting is ridiculous.

Is this the only way to use the supplied oxford controller to wire the grips direct from the battery?

I read also that there is a risk of damaging the ECU if the oxford's are wired into the bike's harness? True or False?

I am about to install oxford grips on a small bike and reading the instructions I see there is a low voltage cut off in the Oxford controller. So it is designed to be wired straight from the battery. OEM wiring is generally pretty thin so why not pull a new feed and use a proper ground instead of hoping that Guzzi's wiring will not cause a fire?
Stelvio owners will of course be more knowledgeable about the specifics.

Hi Guys, I am riding my stelvio all year around, I do have the heated grips but perhaps not good enough when I leave for work at 5 am ( anywhere between -2 / +2 Celsius ) I am looking to purchase some motorcycle handle bar mittens, but if possible I like to keep the hand guard...cannot found anything...any ideas ?? thanks for your help.

Hello everyone, i Installed my Oxford grips two years back en made the connection straight to thebattery.I drive It to work each day and had never a problem wit the battery.it Worms fine for me easy to instelt and during driving easy to adjust.
In thee morning start at 100%and after about 10 kilometers i switch It back to 75% or 50% depends on the temperaturen.

Just a warning on mounting the controller. On my V7 i wanted to hide the controller rather than have it up on the bars as Its an ugly box.
I mounted it under the side cover with the buttons on just visible. Worked great for a while but the moisture wicked into the "sealed" cable entry as it was mounted upside down. Thats even with the cable sleeve over the end. Needs some silicone inside the sleeve. Also didnt like the hard as a rock grips so next time ill be looking some "under grip" solutions.

So, after making it through the winter, the controller for the heated grips no longer works - I can turn them on, but can't increase the temperature. I have opened the controller, and there is no loose wiring or corrosion, and clicking the temperature switch does nothing.

So I am now thinking of wiring this directly into the stock heated grips controller. I have read that the pre '12 models need a relay fitted. Can someone clarify on this please?

So, after making it through the winter, the controller for the heated grips no longer works - I can turn them on, but can't increase the temperature. I have opened the controller, and there is no loose wiring or corrosion, and clicking the temperature switch does nothing.

So I am now thinking of wiring this directly into the stock heated grips controller. I have read that the pre '12 models need a relay fitted. Can someone clarify on this please?

Correct. Small tank model needs the relay added. There is a spot for it and connector. Just needs the relay.

Correct. Small tank model needs the relay added. There is a spot for it and connector. Just needs the relay.

Ok thanks - I remember seeing it when installing the satnav.
I'll probably use pozi-locks to splice the wires. I haven't got a clue what relay is needed: Latching, non-latching, solid state, reed??? HELP!!!

Ok thanks - I remember seeing it when installing the satnav.
I'll probably use pozi-locks to splice the wires. I haven't got a clue what relay is needed: Latching, non-latching, solid state, reed??? HELP!!!

Unfortunately I have never bought one for the earlier models so I can't tell you the exact style that will fit. It is a normal 4 pin automotive relay. Nothing fancy but I don't know if it is a bosch type (square with specific post layouts) or the rectangular type.

Someone that has purchased one may be better to answer or get it directly from the dealer. Other option is take a look at the connector. It will tell you right away what shape it will be. You can verify the pin layout below. It is number 6. It is the same layout as the startup relay (3) or the highbeam relay (65). Just not sure if the style is the same.

Upload 2019 5 13 9 40 12

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-13_9-38-38.png
    upload_2019-5-13_9-38-38.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 3
If it is the same type as the start relay etc, then you won't find one easily. Also used on Aprilia, but seemingly only available from dealers.
Would love to know of an alternative source.

If it was my bike and they were that difficult to find I would install a Bosch type 4 pin relay with a socket. Can pick them up at any local auto store. Then remove the other plug and splice in the new one. Nothing special about this relay. It is just a make and break NO 4 pin relay. Most likely 30amp but may be 20. Just need to make sure you get the 30/85/86/87 pins on the correct wires. Not difficult.

Upload 2019 5 13 13 43 26

And while I'm at it, is it worth fitting a relay at the battery connection as well?

Hmmm...I went back and re-read my posts. For some reason I kept thinking you were installing aux lights. Not sure why I went off the rails on that.

The stock heated grip controller on the pre 2010 (small tank model) should work as is without and relays. It uses the dash to switch them on and off. For the pre 2010, the stock heated grip controller is a pain in the ass as you have to go into the menu to turn it on and off or adjust the temp. You are better off replacing the Oxford controller with a new one. There was an issue with earlier controllers from Oxford but I have yet to have one go on me in the last 2 or 3 years.

If you re-install the Oxford controller definitely put a relay at the battery for it to switch off with the bike. Do not rely on the automatic shut off feature. I only shuts off when the battery is below a certain voltage and that takes some time to happen. Also, if you happen to have a lithium battery it will never shut off as the resting voltage is higher than a conventional battery and above the shut off point. It will stay on until you drained the battery enough to drop the voltage. At that point you hope your very expensive battery can be recovered.

Hmmm...I went back and re-read my posts. For some reason I kept thinking you were installing aux lights. Not sure why I went off the rails on that.

The stock heated grip controller on the pre 2010 (small tank model) should work as is without and relays. It uses the dash to switch them on and off. For the pre 2010, the stock heated grip controller is a pain in the ass as you have to go into the menu to turn it on and off or adjust the temp. You are better off replacing the Oxford controller with a new one. There was an issue with earlier controllers from Oxford but I have yet to have one go on me in the last 2 or 3 years.

If you re-install the Oxford controller definitely put a relay at the battery for it to switch off with the bike. Do not rely on the automatic shut off feature. I only shuts off when the battery is below a certain voltage and that takes some time to happen. Also, if you happen to have a lithium battery it will never shut off as the resting voltage is higher than a conventional battery and above the shut off point. It will stay on until you drained the battery enough to drop the voltage. At that point you hope your very expensive battery can be recovered.

Thanks for the input. I'm aware of the illogical setup of the onboard controller on my model. To be honest, I'm cool with it - the small tank means I'm stopping at most every two hours, plus my experience of the grips so far has been: it's cold, turn on to max. And I think it'll be a neater solution to the Oxford controller (incidentally installed on the RHS, as the left has the satnav; so it's pretty clunky having to reach over with the other hand while the right handles the throttle).

I've tried looking for the connector today. Can anyone confirm which one I should splice in to:

2019 07 03 142340

2019 07 03 142319

I've thoroughly examined the wiring harness - there are no available connectors for the two grips. The closest I could find was this below. And these were plugged into each other. Can anyone advise?

2019 07 05 123433

Here are the instructions for doing the grips. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Attachments

• heated grips.pdf
    324.9 KB · Views: 18
The Oxford grips draw more current than the ones usually provided by Guzzi. Disclaimer: I have never owned a Stelvio, but own or have owned Breva 1100, Norge, 1200 Sport and 1200 Griso SE.

I am concerned that they might damage the dashboard ECU which is many times more expensive than the grips. I wouldn't do it.

On my Griso, I connected the loom across the battery as designed and used the Oxford controller. All good, except now the auto switch off has stopped working. Not going to replace them for this reason alone. They are able to get a lot hotter than the Guzzi type.

Back