• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Paris/Aosta "day trip" - advice?

RJVB

GT Reference
Hello,

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for or hope to get in terms of suggestions or advice, so here goes "just in case" :

Some of my best friends who live in Aosta, Italy, get married this weekend, and I'm invited. I don't want to take more than 2 days off, so I'm looking at making at least the return trip in a single day; going, I could take off thursday night and spend the night in Beaune.
Paris/Aosta is about 670km, my actual destination is 30min from Aosta somewhere along a gorgeous mountain road that leads to Valgrisenche. I think I'll be following the route proposed by ViaMichelin; highway and more highway, the Montblanc tunnel to cross the border (would there be any fun in taking the Saint Bernard pass after 600km?!), and then the mountain road. Which I hope to find in better state of repair than it was this March (see the 2nd album link in yesterday's Ardennes Ascension topic). Supposing I leave on Friday morning, I'd try to take off at about 9h - I'm not exactly early-to-bed&rise, so that way I'd be rested, have a reasonably long day and hopefully avoid the worst of the traffic leaving the Paris region.
I'm now quite used to doing 500km trips in a day (Paris/Utrecht; the last one with "just" a dinner break at Anne's mother's place in Lille), so 200 additional kilometers shouldn't be too much of an issue ... if the weather co-operates (crossing my fingers there!) and if it weren't for that nice mountain road. Which has its first set of serious hairpins almost immediately after leaving the main artery.

That's about it ... thanks in advance I guess? :side:

I think you're right, going home via the A40 to Macon then the A6 to Paris looks the most direct. But my maps are old.

Peter

Oh, finding a route isn't the problem — ViaMichelin is a nice online service that suggests several options ("recommended", "scenery", "fastest", etc). And I have a GPS. But if anyone has suggestions which parts to avoid for instance, that could be useful.

Re: Paris/Aosta "day trip" - advice? PICCIES!

Some photos from my trip:

IMG_0876.JPG

A fuel stop outside of Bonneville. No salt flats in sight (not many flats either), but some nice clouds that made me decide to put on some rain gear. As a result, I arrived rather soaked, despite the absence of rain :(

IMG_0877.JPG

Arrived!

IMG_0885.JPG

The hotel was originally the lodging for the dam workers

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

The tower of the Valgrisenche church, with its carillon

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

Invite a Frenchy to a marriage in Italy, and he'll take his ... boules

IMG_0975.JPG

It took me a while, but in the end I decided not to cut that cable :side:

IMG_0979.JPG

View from on the dam

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_1000.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

higher up along that road there was still plenty of snow. Mid june.

Nice pics :) Some beautiful old buildings there.

The Norge looks great! For some reason I never liked the studio pics of it, but 'in setting' it looks much nicer :)

Maybe.

Perhaps its just that the fairing hides the engine, so somehow it made me think it was hiding the 'spirit' of the Guzzi, which is always the engine! As I say though, now I've seen it out on the road, it shows its character :)

Great pics and great that the trip went well.
What make is your top box and where did you get the tank cover??

And yeah - Norges are gorgeous.

The topbox is a Givi, a discontinued model; the tank cover is by a French company called Bagster. I think they operate under a different name in the US, I don't recall it right now. The make the cover in colour co-ordinated versions, but I've preferred to put on the black, to add some contrast and have a continuous black 'line' from saddle to inner fairing.

Back