Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

PC-V User Guide PDF - Install info

Discussion in 'GT-Rx® Fueling' started by GT-Rx®, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Githianki

Githianki Tuned and Synch'ed

Got all my goodies in the mail and installed it last night. Took it for a quick spin, reset the TPS in the ECU, and on the PCV. So all is well, I go for a 350 mile ride today, bike averages 41mpg right now. (Mistral Slip on stock airbox and filter), but I have a few issues.

Issue #1 The bike will sometimes idle like crap. It will surge between 900-1100 RPM, and the bike looks like a paint mixer just standing there. I did the stepper motor removal at the same time, so I'm wondering if I pinched a hose or something when I was doing the re-install of the airbox.

Issue #2 I get home and hook the laptop up to look at the values, and when I have the bike off, key on with the laptop hooked up, the AFR initially come us with 9.99, and after a few seconds will shoot up to 699.99. If I start the bike, the AFR will go to a steady number like 13%, I will then shut the bike off, and the number will start to rise, and end up with the 699.99 number after a few seconds to a minute.

Any thoughts?

2. draidt

draidt GT Reference GT Contributor

Issue # 2 is not an issue with out the bike running, those crazy readings don't mean anything

Did you do a complete Stepper removal or the bypass kit ?

I had the same idle conditions initially, reload Todd's initial map back in and then access the Auto Tune map, zero out the target AFR at zero throttle position say up to 2000 rpm, do the same at 2% throttle position for the same RPM range. See how that works.

Opps forgot to add to re-balance the Throttle Bodies.

3. Steak

Steak Cruisin' Guzzisti

Todd,

Still haven't gotten this thing dialed in yet. I'm having nearly identical issues as Roper had on page 1 except for the fact that I have the reflashed ECU and O2 sensor installed. My problem is in the PC-V calibration of the TPS. The response on the PC-V software is somewhat flat, just as Pete had described. I've checked and rechecked all of the connections, and verified that all was installed as described in the instructions here at Guzzitech.

I find myself scratching my head with respect to the TPS wire tap (red wire on TPS plug) I have verified that I have a good spear into the tapped red wire, but no variation on the PC-V software when the throttle is opened (with or without the bike running.) Likewise, I am not getting any variation on my multimeter when I check voltage at the tap (grey wire removed.)

When the VDSTS is connected, the variations in TPS are plainly apparent.

Any ideas? The obvious answer is that I am not tapped into the correct TPS wire, neither does the wiring diagram nor the workshop manual differentiate between the Red, Yel/Blk, Wht/Blk wires in the TPS loom.

I installed all of this gadgetry a week before the national and the bike has run ok on what I assume is the reflashed ECU and possibly the initial PC-V map, but I don't think I am as of yet getting any real benefit from this system. The only real change I've noticed thusfar is a high idle that keeps creeping in after being reset (via Axone, not VDSTS.)

Frustration has not set in yet, as I figure I'm just missing something obvious, but I could use another opinion/view.

- SD

4. Steak

Steak Cruisin' Guzzisti

As I suspected, I was missing something obvious. Instead of tapping into the variable voltage TPS wire, I had tapped into the power wire on the fuel pump loom. That doesn't exactly serve the correct purpose.

A phone call to Todd got me squared away and the GRiSO is running better than it ever has. I've done four Autotune map corrections which now has it pretty well zeroed in. It has improved the fast idle issue I've been experiencing (idle creeps up in warm ambient temp.) I am going to see if it's solved without resorting to a stepper bypass after another reset at MI.

Very happy with the outcome so far. Much smoother throttle response and power delivery. The butt dyno charts ain't bad either.

Thanks Todd.

5. guzzi jon

guzzi jon High Miler GT Contributor

Due to my incompetance, I am not attempting to install the setup, Todd will be installing the full setup in my G11 shortly, look forward to posting the results....

6. Githianki

Githianki Tuned and Synch'ed

What happens if one does do that....I think I may have accidentally hit the send table button..... :unsure: :dry:

7. Grisoguzzi

Grisoguzzi Tuned and Synch'ed

Todd,
    Finally got the PCV/AT installed and at this point well, I really do have difficulty believing the difference. Even the gear shift has become smooth!
    Took it for a ride and accepted the trims from the AT - another revelation, even smoother across the board and pulling like a freight train.

Run for World President mate, you've got my vote!

Only one niggle tho'; at idle the bike runs at the expected 1100 rpm but, when warmed up it runs at 1400-1600 for about fifteen seconds before settling back to 1100. I had hoped that the trim would take care of this but no changes were given for the idle range by the trim. Is this a case of the stepper motor (still installed) screwing things up?
    George
    NB yes, I did check the tps via VSDTs (4.6) and PCV (0%)

8. AllanK

AllanK Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi Fellows (especially Todd),

Could you bear with my ignorance on a couple of questions regarding the PCV and Autotune. I have searched and read almost everything I have been able to find on the forum but can’t seem to find the answers for my queries.

Firstly I believe I have everything connected up right as the PCV shows the red light and the AT the green. I have fitted the ecu reflash, the airbox mod and highflow filter.

My VDSTS showed the TPS at 4.6 when I fitted all the gear. I then calibrated the PCV TPS and seemingly no problem doing that. I went for a fairly long “spin” and came back to check the trims etc. The trim table remained all zeros???? I then saw the earlier posts and realised that I too had made the mistake of leaving out the “jumper plug” from the top and put in the rubber plug instead. I changed that and went for another spin. The trim table now shows changes but only in the 80 and 100 percent ranges. All the rest still shows zero. When I start the bike to see any “real time” trim the indicators on the right hand side show the throttle percent at 100. Also the three small lights at bottom right (autotune, faults and connection, I think – I am not at my bike) are off except the connection light which is on. I then tried to recalibrate the PCV TPS but when it is warmed up, ignition on and twisting the throttle there are no changes on the min/max calibration screen and it remains zero for both. (If I do it with the ignition on and motor started the centre display [between the min and max] reads up to around 5 and then goes to zero. Everything then reads zero. So I can’t seem to be able to recalibrate the PCV TPS which I think when done will have the whole of the trim table getting numbers. Any ideas?
    Secondly, the maps/tree on the left hand side is (from memory) “target AFR”, “Trim” and “Fuel”.
    I think I understand the Target AFR and trim info

What exactly is the “fuel map”?

Thanks
    Allan

9. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Allan, so (as I send the PC-V/AT), the connector cable (AT to PC-V) and end-resistor plug must be installed. Sounds like you got that resolved. The TPS wire reads millivolts, so if it's reading 100%, you likely have it connected to a power source. Several people have mistakenly connected it to the red of the 4-wire harness... this is the power supply to the fuel pump. Check it and report back. If it is correctly connected to the TPS wire (3-wire plug), then reset the throttle position range from the pulldown menu in the PC-V control software. Once the pop-up window is up, click reset, quickly twist/jab the throttle to full (engine must be running), and click OK. You should then see zero (0) on screen, and watch it slowly climb as you twist the throttle.
    The Fuel map is the base correction map that resides in the PC-V. It is the baseline that AutoTune uses to correct from.

10. Martin

Martin Tuned and Synch'ed

What's the difference between doing this with the engine running or not? In the PC-V user Guide PDF I read:

TPS CALIBRATION
    It is important that the PCV software % Throttle
    reads 0% when the bike is fully warmed up and at idle.
    If it needs to be reset, make sure the bike is fully
    warmed before resetting within the PCV software.
    With engine off, key on, click on Reset, open throttle to
    the stop, then release, then click OK. The PC-V software
    should now show 0% at idle and 100% at full open.

11. GT-Rx®

Martin, some bikes require the motor to be running, some don't. I fault on the side of error when recommending having the motor running. It's a quick read either way, and accept.

12. bella

bella Just got it firing!

Todd (or anyone who is technically competent);

Bought a PC-V, O2 Oxidizer and CNC airbox from you late last fall for my 08 Norge and installed them over the winter. Bella has a stock exhaust. Testing time has been limited (NE weather), and it seems to run great, but I've had no success with getting the Auto Tune mode to come up in the software that you sent. In looking through this topic, I notice a little box called an "Auto Tune" in several folks photos. Am I trying to follow a procedure I don't have the hardware to do? Is it simply a matter that I'm asking the software to do something that it can't complete for lack of hardware? The bike runs great, idles between 1100 & 1200, and seems to be running cooler and strongly across the tach. When the laptop is plugged in and the bike is running, it reads between 3 and 4% on the idle screen. All numbers on the laptop chart are 0's. I assume it came programmed with a map for the Norge. Do I actually have nothing to do, or am I missing something in an Auto Tune procedure that I don't need additional hardware for?

Thanks,
    Scott

13. GT-Rx®

Hi Scott, you bought the 02-optimizer with the PC-V, not the AutoTune. The AT is indeed an additional box and wide band sensor that can mainly/only be used with my ECU re-flash. Your kit is install and go, with nothing to fiddle with outside of some switches in the 02-optimizer if you don't like the fueling at lower speed throttle. Hope that helps. Feel free to contact me direct e-mail if you have any other questions.

14. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

My AutoTune (2008 1200 Sport with reflashed ECU) appears to have stopped working. Since I never had the original map released with the PC-V, I created a base map of zeros except a value of 13.2 for 750 rpm @ 0, 2, & 5% throttle settings, and 20 for all the cells above this in column 0% throttle, and 10 for the cells above this in column 2% throttle. Went for a spirited 20 km (16 mile) ride, and no trims are being produced. Yes, AutoTune is switched on in the configuration dropdown menu.

I removed the little black terminal on the autotune (it sits next to the connector that goes to the PC-V -right?) and connected an ohmmeter between the first and last terminals. It measured 118Ω in both directions, indicating that this is not behaving like a dioded termination block as suggested above.

Can anyone please confirm that I have the right termination block, and if you think my link is faulty, which way should the diode orientate? I may have to dissect.

15. beetle

beetle Tuned and Synch'ed

It's not a diode, but the CAN bus terminator. Normally it's 120 ohms. So yours is OK. Do not dissect.

16. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Thank you beetle, that solves that issue, but not why the AutoTune is not working.

All connections appear fine, the red LED is alight (with an occasional flicker which I assume shows it's active), so I think my next move might be to whip out the wideband lambda sensor and see whether it coked up. Any suggestions on how to clean it will be greatly appreciated.

17. beetle

No idea about cleaning the sensor. I've heard that they're delicate and easy to bugger up. I would also suggest you have the PC-V software active and connected while the bike is running. Check the 'Autotune' active indicator in the lower right to confirm that the PC-V is actually receiving data from the Autotune.

Mark

18. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I couldn't find the AutoTune indicator, so I updated the PC-V software. I was running the version that came with my PC-V. Alas, the AutoTune indicator is not illuminated. Looks like I might have a shagged AutoTune.

I'll double check the connectors, especially to the lambda sensor, and if all look in order, I will remove the sensor until I can get a replacement AutoTune. The bike is running great with my "zero" map installed, I can always revert to any of my saved maps, or if I'm brave enough start tweaking the PC-V directly should I feel something is not quite right.

Thanks again for your help.

19. beetle

No problem. I agree, check the CAN bus wiring between the Autotune and the PC-V and the wiring from the sensor to the Autotune. Plus check you have a good +12V and GND to the Autotune.

20. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

That's exactly what I done. At the same time, I shortened the cable from the lambda sensor to the AutoTune, and checked all other connectors. Plus, I found a use for the cut yellow wire that was once feeding the starter relay -it's now powering the AutoTune. And, hey presto, the AutoTune indicator is now illuminating after the 60 second preset delay. Also, I see a change in trim value being produced on a couple of cells.

I need to go for another test ride, but weather forecast not looking that wonderful. What I still can't understand is how the AutoTune managed to produce unhealthy results in the first place. I'm contemplating turning off the AutoTune except for planned excursions, so that I keep a good stable map on the PC-V.