• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

[Photos] Gear Oil Seepage Top of Final Drive, is this Common?

Bonaventure

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Pretty sure I got fill level correct when I did the First Service at 1000 miles, but maybe this means I set it a tad high back then? Used the factory recommended AGIP/ENI 80W90 stuff. @ 4000 miles total mileage on bike at the moment.

No dripping it's just the sweating effect shown in the picture. It's coming from the clamped seal under the rubber bellows at top of final drive where the reactive strut connects,

Should I be concerned or is this relatively common?

CARC_Top.jpg

Underneath:

CARC_Bottom.jpg

Last edited:
I would clean it up & adjust level to the small ledge under the fill cap. Run again to see if you will need to use your warranty.

There should be a clamp around the bottom of the rubber boot. It is part number GU05358230. Also you may find an automotive clamp for the bellows of an axle that would fit. As Steve said you will need to clean the oil up from the CARC, and between the bellows and CARC to get a good seal. Also a little clear RTV wouldn't hurt between the bellows and CARC, just a very thin film will do the trick.

Thx, will clean and adjust. CRC Brakleen® in the green can (plastic safe) should do the trick. I'm my own warranty on this thing, nearest dealership went out of business a few months ago.

No not normal. Suggestions of tightening the clamp are spot on but unless it was doing that from the start something else may be at play. When you filled the oil how much did you put in. Did you fill it with the rear wheel on the ground and the bike straight. Check the level with the rear wheel on the ground and the bike perfectly straight up and down. A 2x4 under the side stand helps. If oil runs out of the fill hole it is too much. Assuming you filled it through the fill hole and not the breather. You would be surprised on how many people have done that. Fill it to the bottom of the fill hole threads, No more.

Mine will do that occasionally and I then know it is time to clean out the breather. I have a remote vent so I just blow compressed air through it. I would remove the breather and try to clean it out with some compressed air and see if you issue gets better. May be plugged up.

Just finished pulling a little bit of gear oil out, then buttoned it up and cleaned off the exterior. Sure hope it's not something wrong at only 4000 miles. Not a good sign when you have to be your own warranty.

When I did the service I had it on side stand and as upright as possible w/o tipping over with some boards under side stand. There was a slight left bias in the vertical else she would have gone over. I had filled right up until oil level touched bottom of the threads, so it's sounding like I over filled slightly. Don't have a front wheel vise to hold it up perfectly pendicular, probably ought to get one I suppose.

Going to check breather, too.

Just finished pulling a little bit of gear oil out, then buttoned it up and cleaned off the exterior. Sure hope it's not something wrong at only 4000 miles. Not a good sign when you have to be your own warranty.

When I did the service I had it on side stand and as upright as possible w/o tipping over with some boards under side stand. There was a slight left bias in the vertical else she would have gone over. I had filled right up until oil level touched bottom of the threads, so it's sounding like I over filled slightly. Don't have a front wheel vise to hold it up perfectly pendicular, probably ought to get one I suppose.

Going to check breather, too.

You are fine for level. Slight left won't make a difference. Tighten that clamp and check the breather. I suspect the breather is part of the problem.

Removed breather and blew it out w/ 120 psi blast from compressor's air nozzle fitting. Got a nice spray of oil onto my fingers and palm. :)

We'll see how it goes. I didn't take much at all out today, just enough to fill the clear tubing on the Pela oil extractor. After that, oil level now maybe 1/8" (3mm) below the thread drop off, again on shimmed side stand as upright as possible and don't sneeze or she'll go over...

Have had the Pela for a long time, those things are handy.

Last edited:
Removed breather and blew it out w/ 120 psi blast from compressor's air nozzle fitting. Got a nice spray of oil onto my fingers and palm. :)

We'll see how it goes. I didn't take much at all out today, just enough to fill the clear tubing on the Pela oil extractor. After that, oil level now maybe 1/8" (3mm) below the thread drop off, again on shimmed side stand as upright as possible and don't sneeze or she'll go over...

Have had the Pela for a long time, those things are handy.

Sounds good. I think you will find the oil seepage will now be gone.

Back