• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Piaggio Group Reveals Strategic Plan for 2009-2012

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
From DealerNews...
Submitted by Guido Ebert
Piaggio & C. S.p.A. hopes to attain net sales of approximately €1.880 billion ($2.640 billion) on unit sales volume of 750,000 vehicles by 2012.

The OEM's financial goal is part of a four-year multi-prong strategic plan revealed this week.

Piaggio's other stated goals include:

— increased research & development activities, improved pricing competitiveness in the scooter market, and expanded product offerings specific to the sportbike market in North America;

— a consolidation of leadership, development of an innovative range of scooters, and differentiating the mission of the Aprilia, Moto Guzzi and Derbi brands in Europe;

— improvements, standardization and a reduction in the complexity of product development processes in regards to sourcing, R&D and IT;

— an annual investment of €90-100 million for the development of new products, plants and processes;

— an increased presence in the low-emissions vehicle market via hybrid, electric and bio-fuel offerings;

— the production of 1000cc diesel and 1,200cc turbodiesel commercial vehicle engines for use in Europe and India;

— and further development of the company's global distribution network, especially in Asia.

Piaggio & C. S.p.A. had net sales of €1.570 billion ($2.006 billion) for its year ended Dec. 31, 2008, down 7.2 percent from net sales of €1.692 billion in 2007.

The Piaggio Group in North America includes the Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Piaggio and Vespa brands. In other parts of the world the company also markets product under the Ape, Derbi, Gilera and Piaggio Commercial Vehicles brand names.

Piaggio's brands together sold 648,600 vehicles in 2008, down 8.5 percent compared to 708,500 vehicles sold in 2007. Motorcycle unit sales dropped 14.2 percent to 62,600 units; scooter unit sales declined 10.5 percent to 405,700 units.

Well, while I admire much from the past, I don't want to live there. Our modern Guzzis already have electronic ignition and onboard computers, so why stop there? And apart from engine architecture they're really Aprilias anyway. If I was to buy a new bike today, it would probably be an Aprilia Mana 850 GT + ABS. CVT and all the sophistication that goes with it is the way of the future and something even an old bloke like me can accept readily.

Piaggio, bring it on!

Well, Graham, I think we must take your word on it, you must be one of the members here who's seen most of the past ;)

I've seen mention of factories to be built/opened in Asia ... now if only I could remember where I saw that...

Re:piaggio Group Reveals Strategic Plan for 2009-2

Hope it isn't true RJ: I will not ride or own Guzzi/ Aprillia made in Asia, I will not ride/own Triumph made in Asia, I will not Ride/own BMW made in Asia, If these are my choices left by Globalization ( reads ,increasing CEOs/ shareholders profit margins ) I will Ride ( I don't want to ,so please don't make me!) a Harley goddam Davidson. LOL
FBC

FrostBittenCanadian
Sorry to remind of this but lots of parts on Harleys (and Buells) are not made in the USA but in Japan and Asia. Like it or not the World has become a small and confused place - with too many people in it. Go with the flow! Pissing into wind is just too much trouble.

RJVB
You're probably correct there, as no one has admitted to being older. I can't think of any bike which has passed through my hands that I wish I still owned. Well, maybe just one (as a pet only) - a Norton Mercury 650 from the late sixties. It was a SINGLE-carbed version of the Dominator 650SS and the better for it.

Oh I realize that Graham, but when you build a bike in Thailand and it says Triumph on the tank,well that just pisses me off, My rims are german, my tires are made in germany, my brakes may even be made in India and you can bet my electronics are made in Asia, ... but the bike is built in Italy!!! Harely Davidson have been using Japanese components in some areas of there bikes for decades, but you guessed it,it's built in Milwaukee.
FBC

FrostBittenCanadian
Maybe it's not so much where a bike is built that matters most, but where it's designed. That's what sets the character in place. I understand that many Honda Goldwings were styled and built in the USA. Having ridden them and Valkaries a few times they certainly feel more American than Japanese.

Not for me it isn't! Designers come and go , ask Masimo Tamburini. Bmw built in China go ahead enjoy yourself, I'd rather not Thanks.
FBC Ps I wouldn't have the gift of either one.

I agree with you, FBC — it's about supporting local economy and employment, and simply not getting from halfway across the globe what you can get much closer by (and produced under probably better controlled conditions).

That factory I recall reading about was for producing scooters, Piaggio's main dough, in hopes of selling more in that local market, the benefits of which would go into supporting legacy marques like Moto Guzzi.

You guys should come and live in Oz where we make nothing ouselves and even export our trees as woodchip to be made into paper in Asian paper mills so we can buy it back to put in our photo copiers.

Aussie made bikes - there have been a few but all went they way of the dodo.

So Eric Buell and Willi Davidson count for little? And is Canada now part of the USA? I really am convinced that it's the designers who matter most, not where the bikes are made. RJVB, why aren't you riding a Voxan rather than a foreign Guzzi? And why aren't all the members here from the USA not riding Harleys or some other largely home brewed bike? Consistency in morality?

No bikes are manufactured here so I can ride anything and have a good conscience about it.

FrostBittenCanadian wrote:
Not for me it isn't! Designers come and go , ask Masimo Tamburini. Bmw built in China go ahead enjoy yourself, I'd rather not Thanks
FBC Ps I wouldn't have the gift of either one.

While not wishing to be 'Political' can you expand on why you wouldn't want a bike built in SE Asia? Or China, or India, or anywhere else?

I have my own reasons for buying stuff from Italy or Europe or even here or the USA rather than from the so called 'emerging' ecconomies but I'd like to hear your reasons too.

Pete

It's got nothing to do with a bike being made in Asia I have owned Japanese bikes, they're called Hondas and Yamahas, don't put a name plate on 'em that says Triumph or Moto Guzzi please. I wanted an Italian bike so that's what I bought. I guess by that logic Graham,because I'm Canadian I should go find an old CanAm and resurect it. Guess you should be riding a Britten. What I'm saying is don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. Any clearer.
Mike: sure you do Holden builds cars that GM sells here? go figure.
Pete: I never said I didn't want a bike built in asia, india or china!!
FBC..... never mind.

FrostBittenCanadian
Britten never made road bikes. It's not raining here. No wind either. How is it up your way?

In the 90's, many Japanese cars were designed by Italians. They were called Japanese because Japan is where they were built. They weren't called Italian cars. So I don't care who designs a car or a bike, it is where it's built that counts to ME. I bought Italian because I wanted Italian.

I relate a certain quality of build and image to labels and tags. You pay more and expect better. Call me a stuffy snob, but there is a certain prestige behind the label and how and where it is built. If I was proud to have Chinese built, I would've bought a Chinese car/bike. But no, I have Italian both.

With respect to the potential closing of the Mandello factory, I say so what? The land is probably too valuable to have as an industrial site. Money is money, and if you want top stay in business all things need to be considered. There is no room for emotions of the heart in business or you will fail. I count beans for a living, and every time emotions comes into a business decision, things go wrong.

So go build Guzzis' in the scooter factory. If they decide to move production to China, god forbid, then so be it, let the market decide if it's right or wrong.

For those who are passionate about keeping a dream or ideal alive, I say great, you put the money up to fund it. I tell that to my clients' staff and they quickly shut up.

whoop

sorry

rant over

cheers

Robert

I guess you just don't understand what I was trying to say,or else I'm just not eloquent enough to make it clear. Thats OK.
FBC

Back