Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

plastic bearing cage in 1997 Sport 1100 5 speed trans

Discussion in 'Spine' started by Spaghetti Western, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Spaghetti Western

Spaghetti Western Just got it firing!

Wondering if anyone knows which ball bearing in a 1997 Sport transmission uses a plastic cage...

After replacing the leaking trans output shaft seal only to find the new one immediately started leaking i pulled the swing arm, etc. all apart again. The seal was showing physical damage from the outside so I pulled it and saw some debris just inside, which turned out to be bits and pieces of a plastic ball bearing cage.

The trans had otherwise been working normally and not making any unusual sounds.

Looks like I need to pull the trans and tear it apart. if anyone knows what bearing might be involved, do you know if there is a replacement that uses a steel bearing cage?

Not that it should matter but this is the straight cut gear variant of the stock factory trans.

TIA

2. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

I just researched it cause I can't remember. Output shaft bearing, #3205 E C3 is metal caged 13-14 balls.
    I would research it yourself, not hard info to find, just in case I read incorrectly.
    I would pull it all apart for full inspection.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  3. Spaghetti Western

Thanks, I'll run that one down.

In the meantime I had done a Google search and found this...

zydecoracing.com/safety.html

So it looks like a tear down is in order to also replace the input bearing as well as to clean the swarf out of the case. I should be getting the Ducati forks back soon so I'll get it on the road first so that I have something to ride.

4. Spaghetti Western

I did a little research after reading Charlie's article and found that the SKF 3205A bearing is still available for as low as $50 each while the 3205 E/C3 is much more expensive, at well over $100 each. Before I dig into the specs do you remember why the 3205 E/C3 would be preferred over the 3205A?

Thanks.

5. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

The C3 designation means it is a class three bearing. Since there is basically no thrust on the bearing a regular 3205 with a steel cage is fine. Since you will be removing all the shafts, it is a good time to replace all the o-rings and seals to include the o-ring for the shift pawl. I believe MG cycle sells the gear box kit which makes things easy. Also inspect the clutch hub gear and plates. This could be a good time to refresh the clutch. Also be sure to inspect the torrington bearing on the intermediate shaft. It takes a pounding and I've seen the rollers fall out when the shaft is removed. If you haven't had the 5 speed gear box apart before, you may want some hep from someone who has and it can be a little tricky to get everything lined up again to get the rear cover on. Also some special tools make the job easier.

Bigbear likes this.
  6. Bigbear

Bigbear Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks for that info John,
    Been collecting as much accurate (knowledgeable) info of these bearings for a little while, my 1100 Sport now has 35Kmiles & its something I would like to check also (sooner rather than later)

7. Moto-Uno

Moto-Uno Cruisin' Guzzisti

C3 bearings tend to have looser tolerances also . In case the fitment is very tight on a shaft or
    in a housing , or very slight misalignment for instance . Not too sure why the price variation ? Peter

8. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura