RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Play in the "reaction rod"

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by archercc, Apr 9, 2019.

1. archercc

archercc Tuned and Synch'ed

Has anyone else experienced this?

When cleaning and going over the bike I noticed I could very easily wiggle the secondary rod labeled as reaction rod above the driveshaft. Only a few MM but it feels like its got play at both ends. I dont recall that being the case. I see a part called a "silent block" on the engine/frame side but the bushing looks to be integrated on the wheel side.

Is this something easily rebuilt? The bike has (dont recall the exact amount) like 20-25k miles on it. They are hard miles admittedly though, I ride it like a naked sportbike. About the only thing it hasn't done is a legit trackday (a few aggressive parade laps maybe). if I am rebuilding this is there an upgrade to more durability? Ive seen fancy rods but I dont care about aesthetics. I just want optimum performance and durability. Ive also heard/told that some of the clunk of the transmission can be attributed to this being a piece.

Additionally if I am breaking the back of the bike down is there anything else I should be in there doing?

2. archercc

Ok I think I am "mostly" there.

I found the information on the front and the upgraded bushing so will do that. Has anyone had any experience rebuilding the rear? I found a 1200 parts manual that lists out about 7 parts that look to be held in with two circlips on the eye protruding from the rear differential, cheap enough that Ill go ahead and try and do that too. Im guessing 1200 and 1100 parts are interchangeable in that regard.

So, all that is really left is identifying anything else I should be doing during this service.

3. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

Have fun w/those clips, what a pain. The back is similar to the front one. Worn ones will let the wheel hop when letting out the clutch and make noise w/doing so. The fender will be vibrating a bunch.
    I would also grease the swingarm bearings and needle bearings in the shock/swingarm linkage while things are loose.

4. Adam Davis

Adam Davis Tuned and Synch'ed GT Site Contributor!

I changed out the factory silent block. Proximal to the engine side. Cleared up mega play and low rpm clacking to almost perfection. But if you dont get a bit of slop and slap feel you did something wrong......

V700Steve likes this.
  5. archercc

Ok ordered the parts.

Whats the deal with the clips? Are they just standard circlips or should I be exploring another tool/option to make it so Im not just swearing at my bike?

6. V700Steve

Just round clip, ends are strait cut and I had a hard time getting the pic under it being tucked inside.
    Do you live by a Guzzi/sidecar guy?

7. archercc

Not that I am aware of. I know some Guzzi guys (about 1/3rd of the guys I ride with have a Guzzi as one of their bikes) and I know some sidecar guys but not aware of one with both. Now I live in Smyrna, right on the Hooch though, I used to be in Druid Hills.

If you're ever hitting up Augustine's on a Thursday night or Victory Sandwich Bar on a Tuesday night and see a lot of bikes there its a good chance Im in there somewhere (the hotter it gets the more likely I'll be on the Griso but now I also bring the superbikes out).

8. V700Steve

I worked on it in perimeter off of Peachtree/Dunwoody, his neighbor had MV's and I remember seeing him when I worked at Riders Hill.