• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

please help me and my guzzi !!!

bigpants

Just got it firing!
Hi folks. Thanks for letting me join your forum, I've recently bought my 1st guzzi (1996 1100sport i) and I think I'm going to be needing your help. I'm a low income worker on a tight budget but last year got an insurance payout and blew the lot on my dream bike and the Guzzi's been a big change from my usual tiny two strokes!
However a couple of months ago I lost the front end (crappy bt14's) in a bend at just over 90mph, the bike lowsided onto the rh side scraping the head then smashed into the armaco and exploded the front wheel, twisted the frame,broke the timing cover/engine case and destroyed the bodywork. Luckily I was'nt hurt. I,ve just got the bike running again but its got some problems I could do with some help with.
When I start it the rh cylinder doesnt fire, after about 1 or 2 miles it cuts in, misses and pops for another mile then seems to work ok occasionly dropping power and changing note on a steady throttle around 3500-4000 but seems fine on acceleration. However fuel consumption has increased to 10-15 mpg and the rh head feels only luke warm to the touch were as the lh is to hot to touch. The rh plug is very black,dry and sooty. If I check the plug at start up the rh one doesnt spark, if i put in a new one it does but then next time I start it it doesnt again. New plugs and caps and trimmed leads. After riding, with the engine turned off, the fumes in the lh silencer seem fairly cool and normal, the fumes in the rh silencer are very hot and acrid , this seems the wrong way round.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated as I absolutly love this bike and have 'invested' every penny I have in it. If we can get this sorted the next problem to solve will be how to balance the carbs/injectors as in my ignorance ive altered everything- sorry I didnt know any better! Cheers folks.
james

James,

Couple of possibilities. The RH coil is weak, or the engine is so far out of sync you are fouling the RH plug.

Sync is easy, just need a twin max or carb sticks to equalize vacuum. You can get the correct TPS setup using VDSTS software, Axone, or a good voltmeter. The Havens have an excellent chart posted here for TPS setup: http://www.mphcycles.com/Technical/Technical2.htm With corresponding voltages here: http://www.mphcycles.com/Technical/tpsexcel3.htm Use the Centaro chart since it utilizes the same ECU.

I'm hoping you have the frame straight and all the other mechanicals in good order after your get off.

rh carb may be running on choke or very rich, like a sticking float or something like that. Black sooty plug is usually running rich. Never know what can happen to stuff when it slides on its side and crashes. I would check the coil, and remove the carb, take it apart and clean everything. Good luck

ncassidy wrote:
rh carb may be running on choke or very rich, like a sticking float or something like that. Black sooty plug is usually running rich. Never know what can happen to stuff when it slides on its side and crashes. I would check the coil, and remove the carb, take it apart and clean everything. Good luck

it's an FI bike. No carbs.

Mate, it's been massively crashed. It could be a host of things. Impossible to give any help over the net in a situation like this, sorry.

pete

:) Thanks for your replies. I sort of guessed that I'd have to swap the coils over to see if the problem moves to the other cylinder. but the cold running and high consumption made me wonder if the injector could be sending way to much fuel to the cylinder and flooding it on start up? The choke mechanism doesnt apprear to be on in that its not fouling the butterfly but if I put it on when warm it doesnt make the engine pick up like it used to. Could the ecu be sending the wrong instructions ? Also I've just unplugged the oil temp sensor from the left head and it might be running a bit better, hard to say as I've had to stop using it as its leaking alot of oil out off the replaced casing, prob not got the oil seal fitted properly (or the cranks bent!). I havnt had the frame repaired yet as my limited budget means I've got to get the engine sorted first- besides Im not sure it'l make much difference to the Guzzi's handling! Keep posting your suggestions.
Ta.

Good news. Just been out and fired her up, always starts fine, and it sounded much more crisp and even. Going to get my kit on and take her out for a quick blast. Couldnt detect any major difference in head temp after 2 mins. Maybe the bike pixies have come and fixed it during last nights snow fall. Hopefully the snow will clean some of the oil of the back tyre. If I get back I'll report back.
james

Back