• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Plug-In Hop-Up for CalVin

Greg Field

Cruisin' Guzzisti
A few weeks back, Piaggio shipped to us (Moto Intl.) from another dealer a Cal Vintage that no one at that dealership could get to run right. It would spit and cough and just barely weeze along. We tried everything, from tuning to finally just changing every component in the ignition and efi system one at a time.

Finally, we pulled an ECU off of a Stone we had here and plugged it in. That CalVin fired right up and ran better than any other CalVin we’ve ever had here. Gone was all that lean roughness through the low and midrange, especially on part throttle. The Stone needed its brain back, so Piaggio was going to overnight-ship a new ECU. While it was down, I got to thinking, "The CalVin motor is basically a V11 Sport motor, so why not try a V11 Sport ECU?"

So, I pulled a Sport ECU off the shelf and the service guys plugged it in and all took it for rides after hearing the raves of the first tester. Not only does it run well now, it has power like no other Cal Vin any of us has ridden. With this ECU, it feels fat and happy everywhere through the rev band and charges like a rabid rhino from 2000 rpm and screams all the way to redline. Add a PCIII, and I bet it'd have 80 horsepower at the rear wheel. Add Sport-sized throttle bodies, and I bet it'd jump to 85. This should work on all the twin-plug versions of the Cali, such as the '06-on Cal CLassic, etc.

Now that's a *GOOD* tip, thanks Greg. Not surprised though with no lambda input. So with the 1.5M, a PCIII is a plug-in deal from there on. Nice. Price on the ECU?

List is about $875, but there are many of these things out there used. For example, all the folks who bought the Guzzi Titanium exhaust got a spare ECU, so I'd think it'd be pretty easy to find one used. Or, just unhook the O2 sensor and hook up a PCIII and see what happens. I bet that'd work.

V11s already had a closed-loop mode, no?!

Heh, I already imagine certain riders here who'd go "oh gee, officer, I do have them db-killers right here in my pocket, how could I have forgotten to put them back in before hitting the streets ... oh and hey ... isn't that the ECU I should be putting up with ...".

Hi Greg

I suppose that Vintage is equipped with a Catalyst and O2 Sensor that allow a closed loop mode.
The replacement V11 box - was that one with the same features? Should be a WM 1.5 RC instead of a 1.5 M ECU.

None of the US model V11 Sports had catalyst or O2 sensor. Euro model V11 Sports from '03-on had both catalyst and O2 sensor. We fitted the ECU from a US-model V11, meaning neither O2 nor catalyst.

thanks Greg

this is real good information that a 1.5 RC ECU can be replaced by a non catalyst 1.5M ECU. This leads us to a lot of opportunitys...

Back