• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

polishing my Breva's muffler.

max

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
I know "muffler" is probably not the correct term , but i'm willing to take the ribbing so go for it. I would like to know what other folks are using to clean and shine up the muffler on their Breva or Norge. Mine is getting quite a collection of road grime and tar etc. I don;t want to scratch it trying to clean it and not sure what to shine and protect it with.
As always, thanks for any advice you can send my way. Max

Hey Max
I'm a bit of a slob (would rather ride than wash) but I'll throw my $.02 in ;)

for a quick clean with a minimum of scrubbing, I've used Simple Green spray to break loose bugs, tar... you name it. Spray on, let soak a bit, rub with a damp rag. For really stubborn stains and "liver spots" on the headers, I've done the same but rubbed briefly with a 3M green scrubby pad. Just don't spazz over the "matt finish" the pad leaves behind (I think it looks better than a high gloss anyways).

Good luck :)

Old fashioned turpentine cuts road tar like crazy and is relatively harmless, "Goof Off" found in paint stores is also good for stuff like that, and shouldn't harm your paint, it's is also good for removing those pesky sticky labels and just plain handy around the house, don't get too crazy with it. Road tar cleaners found in Auto Zone and other such stores works as well but smells suspiciously like turpentine for twice the price. Go easy on any painted surface. Follow up with a little polish if you wish. You don't need anything fancy as it won't last long anyway.
Forget about cleaning any discoloration around the exhaust headers as it's just part of the deal and looks like a motorcycle rather than some pretty thing.
No scrubby things for me. :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:

To clean, instead of "(your name here)" cleaners just use charcoal lighter fluid. Kingsford costs a bit more but the store brand is the same thing. It works better then Goof Off at about 1/10 the price. Yes I am cheap. It won't hurt paint or discolor plastics or metal. Trust me, I got the tip originally from Dear Abby many years ago.
For stainless pipes, wet sand with #800 grit sandpaper then #1500, then finish with #2000 and Brasso instead of water. You can find the sandpaper at Walmart or Pep Boys. Brasso is at Walmart or you can join the Army and learn all about it :)
Now, go sweat.

I am a bit anal about keeping my bike clean. So after a ride I will give it a clean/polish. For the downpipes I use metal cleaner cream, its a bit abrasive and will keep those downpipes clean. (you have to polish away for a long time!) For the muffler I use a soft cleaning pad to apply the brasso and a soft cloth to polish it off. Then I sit in the garage with a cuppa and stare at it!

Back