Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Pondering Monocylindrico Purchase

Discussion in 'MonoCylindrico' started by Rod Funston, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Rod Funston

Rod Funston Just got it firing!

I'm considering making an offer on a '36 500 S. I own two loop frames, one of which I rebuilt, and am itching for something older for fun. Doing as much research as I can online and asking around. Not as much info out there as there is for Loops. This is the only forum I've found so far. It's in fair/good condition and running. May have been repainted as it is solid red with Guzzi logo, and all the ones I see online are chrome tank with dark redish-brown paint. What do I need to know? Can I get parts? What is it worth? I have seen similar vintage models on Moto.It and looked on Hargerty. I understand the spec. vs. GTS, V etc. I don't think there are many in the US, particularly within driving distance of me. So I'm going to take a hard look at it. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Hi Rod, welcome to the GT Forum. There's a good friend and Guzzi single owner in Boston, Mike Peavey (https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/members/mike-peavey.15907/) - parts are scarce, but there's a few online parts resources like Guzzino.com -- but you'll have to rely on overseas sourcing. I have a list of resources I just posted in this section. If you are a hands-on guy, they seem like fun to own machines, but you have to be a self-efficient problem solver on pre/late '40s models, but if you wons loops, I suspect you might be.

3. Rod Funston

Thanks for the quick response! I saw your post of part sources earlier and that was encouraging. I think I qualify. But I may have to learn Italian.
    If you are near the fire be safe and all the best wishes.

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Very welcome, and you might.
    I am still evacuated, staying with friends for now. We seems to be clear of the fire areas thankfully. One more night of winds to endure and hope for the best.

5. Mike Peavey

Mike Peavey Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Hi Rod,
    There are a few GTS and older 500's here in the states, You may find some parts available from Guzzino, but I suspect you'll wind up ordering from the "old country", where there are many more of the older machines still on the road. Among the parts suppliers, I have found a fellow there, Marco Valenti at http://www.valentimotorestauri.com/public/public very helpful. He replies quickly to emails in decent english, takes PayPal and ships quickly and reasonably via Italian Express that tracks the package right through delivery by USPS. As an example, a decent sized parcel would take about 4 to 5 days and cost 40 euro. The other nice thing is, if he doesn't have a part, he will find it, particularly handy with older bikes. I have a good friend in Maine who recently bought a GTV from him and it was smooth transaction.
    Best regards,
    Mike Peavey
    Boston

Also, here's a couple of handy books for the owners of older Guzzi.
    Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 7.57.16 PM.png

GT-Rx® likes this.
  6. Rod Funston

Thanks, Mike! Great info and a great resource you found there in Italy. I have Faloon's book but will get the other. I saw a GTV come in to at Owls Head Vintage Bike Day this summer when I was there. I believe it was a '46 due to lack of telescopic fork. Wonder if that was your friend. So what do you have?