Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Power Commander versus ECU Reflash or Both?

Discussion in 'GT-Rx® Fueling' started by bmacneil2008, Aug 16, 2014.

1. bmacneil2008

bmacneil2008 Tuned and Synch'ed

Ok, I don't get it. Why do we need a PCV after having the ECU reflashed? It would seem you could calibrate the ECU to deliver the same air/fuel ratio as the PCV. I just purchased a new 2009 Stelvio and am adding a slip on exhaust, sans cat, so know need added fuel but was hoping an ECU refresh from would be all is needed?

I have a Kawasaki Versys, which also had the cat in the exhaust, and added a Yoshimura pipe. Also installed a PC5 as unable to alter the ECU and O2 sensor settings.

So why pay for an ECU reflash if adding a Power Commander? Obviously a 'newbie' question, but did not see answered in other posts.

[​IMG]

2. dbarb3

dbarb3 Tuned and Synch'ed

The reflash will do the trick, most people that get the PC also get the auto tune module. The reflash will get you in the ball park but the PC with autotune will get your AF exactly where you set it. Just depends on how much you want spend. The PC without the autotune module is useless IMO.

3. dbarb3

dbarb3 Tuned and Synch'ed

Forgot to mention, the reflash is what turns off your exhaust sensor. Without that turned off the PC can't fuel the lower rpm range

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

You posted in two areas for the same question, so here go again.. to expand on whats posted above of course:
    All very well outlined in the first post of the PC-V thread. Simply put, the ECU flash is a static map, and every engine requires different fuel requirements (though crudely corrected it does reasonably OK), but it allows for full map access, and adding the PC-V allows AutoTune, which give completely dynamic fueling revisions on the fly, from idle to redline. Pretty great technology. You just can't get this with just the ECU.. however timing revisions and other good running mods cannot happen with the PC-V. p.s. You might want to contact Doug/ToadRide here on this Forum about his experience with a re-flash by them.

5. bmacneil2008

That makes sense, thanks. I will contact Todd and see what he recommends. I also read about the Guzzidiag but to be honest, am hesitant to start playing with the factory settings and maps just from the concern of making an error and damaging the engine.

There is a dyno shop here in town that have a good reputation in setting up race bikes and I assume would be willing to help me add a new map. I am not looking for more power actually, just a smother exhaust note, with the DB in, and most likely changing the air filter box top, that would be all.

6. bmacneil2008

Also, the only reason I am asking about the ECU and PCV add on is I assumed by removing the stock exhaust and cat-con, that I would need to add a PCV/ECU refresh so the bike would not run lean. Is this accurate?

And, if I install the Zard muffler with the cat-con, https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/zard-stelvio-muffler-wcat-con/, will I still need the PCV and ECU work?

Thaks again.