• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Power Commander versus ECU Reflash or Both?

bmacneil2008

Tuned and Synch'ed
Ok, I don't get it. Why do we need a PCV after having the ECU reflashed? It would seem you could calibrate the ECU to deliver the same air/fuel ratio as the PCV. I just purchased a new 2009 Stelvio and am adding a slip on exhaust, sans cat, so know need added fuel but was hoping an ECU refresh from would be all is needed?

I have a Kawasaki Versys, which also had the cat in the exhaust, and added a Yoshimura pipe. Also installed a PC5 as unable to alter the ECU and O2 sensor settings.

So why pay for an ECU reflash if adding a Power Commander? Obviously a 'newbie' question, but did not see answered in other posts.

IMG_20140613_104634264_HDR.jpg

The reflash will do the trick, most people that get the PC also get the auto tune module. The reflash will get you in the ball park but the PC with autotune will get your AF exactly where you set it. Just depends on how much you want spend. The PC without the autotune module is useless IMO.

Forgot to mention, the reflash is what turns off your exhaust sensor. Without that turned off the PC can't fuel the lower rpm range

You posted in two areas for the same question, so here go again.. to expand on whats posted above of course:
Ok, I don't get it. Why do you need a PCV after having the ECU re-flashed?
All very well outlined in the first post of the PC-V thread. Simply put, the ECU flash is a static map, and every engine requires different fuel requirements (though crudely corrected it does reasonably OK), but it allows for full map access, and adding the PC-V allows AutoTune, which give completely dynamic fueling revisions on the fly, from idle to redline. Pretty great technology. You just can't get this with just the ECU.. however timing revisions and other good running mods cannot happen with the PC-V. p.s. You might want to contact Doug/ToadRide here on this Forum about his experience with a re-flash by them.

You posted in two areas for the same question, so here go again.. to expand on whats posted above of course:

All very well outlined in the first post of the PC-V thread. Simply put, the ECU flash is a static map, and every engine requires different fuel requirements (though crudely corrected it does reasonably OK), but it allows for full map access, and adding the PC-V allows AutoTune, which give completely dynamic fueling revisions on the fly, from idle to redline. Pretty great technology. You just can't get this with just the ECU.. however timing revisions and other good running mods cannot happen with the PC-V. p.s. You might want to contact Doug/ToadRide here on this Forum about his experience with a re-flash by them.

That makes sense, thanks. I will contact Todd and see what he recommends. I also read about the Guzzidiag but to be honest, am hesitant to start playing with the factory settings and maps just from the concern of making an error and damaging the engine.

There is a dyno shop here in town that have a good reputation in setting up race bikes and I assume would be willing to help me add a new map. I am not looking for more power actually, just a smother exhaust note, with the DB in, and most likely changing the air filter box top, that would be all.

Back