• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

premium versus regular gas

Most Guzzi recommend 95 RON. I always run premium, YMMV.

RON (Euro) = USA (AKI/PON)
91 = 87
93 = 89
95 = 91
98 = 93

The V7 owners manual posted up here lists 95 as the octane recommended. Keep in mind that is a euro octane number. They use a different method to calculate. Pretty sure euro 95 is US 91, but feel free to double check.
I run premium in all my Guzzi's. But I do not have a V7. The wife has a V65 and that gets premium.

I have a Fitch Fuel Catalyst in my gas tank and run 89 Octane gas with no problem. Running a higher octane gas will actually give less power because of the additives required to raise the octane. If your bike doesn't ping, keep the octane as low as you can! Not to mention the fact that you save money!
Bare

Running the motor at octane above what is called for is a waste of money and can result in slightly less power (or not).
Running less octane then recommended can, over time, result in engine damage.
Running a fuel catalyst is a waste of money. But if it makes you feel better then ignore chemistry.
Running with the recommended octane is the right thing to do.

The important thing to know is, unless you use Exactly The Right Gas in combination with Exactly The Proper Oil, your engine will explode, you will go blind, and all your hard drives will be erased.

On the other hand, my 2004 Breva 750 has run over 20,000 happy miles on 85 octane and synthetic 5-40.

One cool factor in octane is that as your air pressure goes down the need for higher octane typically goes down with it.
So, someone at 5,000 feet above sea level can typically use a lower octane in the same exact motor than someone at 100 feet above sea level.
I seem to recall that on a trip across the country a while back I was somewhere in the Rockies and the only two octane choices were 85 and 87. I had never seen 85 octane. They don't sell it around here.

Mostly I put theFItch things in there to hopefully keep the bad Ethanol ills from happening, and to keep the gas fresh longer, not that it's ever been in there over two weeks anyway, It may have increased the mileage a mile per gallon, but that's really hard to measure since my riding is so varied from freeway to tight twisties, and sea level to 8000'. Where's a baseline? I haven't even gotten a good read on the Todd's remap as most of my riding since then has been long freeway drags! Maybe the ride with the Guzzi guys Sunday will clear it up a bit!
Bare

Well, I have a Breva 750.
Using less than premium grade, with any kind of headwind, I can hardly keep 55 Mph.
Sometimes, while exploring the backroads, your only option is, to use the local "Agricultural Stop " with only one grade, in both pumps. 82, or 85. ?
Take Care Out There

I have not tried regular in my new California Touring but my 2007 Norge would ping and knock loudly when I was stuck with the option of buy 87 octane or push. Even with 91 in it it would ping on a hot day in the mountains. My PC800 has a very low compression ratio and recommends 87 or better but it gets premium because putting in regular seems to get me backfires on start up and knocking under load. I have been told I am wasting money but at about 4 gallons a fill up and a $0.20 to $0.30 cents a gallon difference do I really care?

Interesting post. I have used 91, 95, 98 (AVOID E10 LIKE THE PLAGUE - IT WAS ONLY DEVELOPED TO INCREASE POLITICAL BROWNIE POINTS AND KILLS ENGINES) on various bikes over the years. Generally, on my seat-of-the-pants-o-meter I have found 95 to run best. Above all however, I strongly recommend using a trusted fuel source. Good quality fuel will run better that cheapo-mart's blend even though it is 5c cheaper per litre. I'd run good quality 91 over shit quality 98 any day.

Think malt whisky vs window cleaner and you get the picture. Gasoline is not all the same.

Those of you in some parts of the US and other countries may be able to avoid E10, or even worse the new E15 some of our idiot politicians are pushing. Here in NE Ohio if a station has non ethanol gas it is rare. I do not know of one near me. I stopped at a Citgo in Clarion, PA a week ago in my truck and they had 87 octane E10 for about $3.27 and 91 octane straight gas for something around $4 but I forget exactly. My trucks burns anything I think down to E85 but out of curiousty I put the good stuff in. My mileage dropped. Go figure. The bike will be filled up if I am over there but it is over 70 miles away.

Go to any small engine repair shop and ask the techs if gas that's gone bad can be "fixed" by any treatment. It can't.
Than, treat your gas prior to it sitting.

Or ask the guy who stores snowmobiles over the summer.

I think it is Settled Science that ethanol contaminated gasoline is bad for engines and good for politicians.

That said, it is damm hard to buy anything else around where I live. I have put over 25,000 trouble-free miles on an '04 Breva 750 using E-10 fuel, lowest octane available (85 in Colorado).

These links may help you find ethanol-free gasoline in your area:

http://www.pure-gas.org/

http://www.buyrealgas.com/

Use it if you can find it.

'Geezer

We have 2007 Breva 750 and '91 BMW R100GS and '93 BMW R100RT. We run non-ethanol regular with Castrol additive to raise octane to premium level. Bikes run great, and the caster oil smell is awesome!

We have 2007 Breva 750 and '91 BMW R100GS and '93 BMW R100RT. We run non-ethanol regular with Castrol additive to raise octane to premium level. Bikes run great, and the caster oil smell is awesome!

Why go to all the trouble? Premium with ethanol would be fine in all your machines. Plus the chemicals that raise the octane are not nice. I hope you wear rubber gloves when you handle that additive.

If you look at the cost of using an additive vs the cost of just running the right octane you might find the additive is more expensive. And while using an additive with castor oil in it might smell nice it is not really a good idea for the motor. I do get the "smells great" bit, but in a 4 stroke motor there are more than a few down sides to it.

I've always run the minimum octane level without a ping.

Have found 89 works just fine in my 2013 V7. My 2007 Triumph Bonneville will run best on 87.

Learn this many years ago from a source long forgotten.

Been doing it this way for years with no issue what so ever.

I've always run the minimum octane level without a ping.

Have found 89 works just fine in my 2013 V7. My 2007 Triumph Bonneville will run best on 87.

Learn this many years ago from a source long forgotten.

Been doing it this way for years with no issue what so ever.
Sorry, but I do not understand your post, I have crossed the USA each year, since 2007 on a Guzzi 750.
Most of which ,is documented here & on other sites.
Any time I fill up with less than premium, then hit a headwind, the 750 struggles to keep 55 Mph
So , when & how do you ride ?
Going by your post, and my own long distance rides, I have to assume it is only on sunny week ends ?
Im good for 1604 miles in 27 hrs 12 mins, and it was only due to road works that I couldn't get an " INSANITY 1600 " in 24 hrs.
And I needed Premium, every step of the way !
Iron Butt Association Nr : 55756 !

Last edited:
Back