• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

probl'y a dumb question, but...

sn0winSaskatoon

Tuned and Synch'ed
hello there V7 people... I have a V7 question on behalf of my young son who this summer had bought his first ever motorbike - and got a V7. His old Dad has a Breva V11 and knows nothing about the little wee guzzi's. And I can't look at his bike for myself because the boy lives about 5000 km east of me way away on the east coast...

So his question is this - apparently it was really rough shifting - really hard to get into gear. I expect that the little goose has a hydraulic clutch like my breva and that he just needs to top up the fluid?

thanks

Ian Fleming

No fluid. It's a cable. My V7 was terrible until it was broken in. Adjusting the cable did nothing for it. However, it's impossible to determine from your description. Is it just first gear? Are all the other gears OK? Or is it all the gears all the time?

In my experience with my '13 V7, hard shifting is inevitably caused by a misadjusted clutch cable. It really needs to completely release the clutch disk to allow easy shifting. Try this: on a level surface and with the engine off, put the bike in 1st gear. Pull in the clutch lever completely and try to roll the bike forward while slowly letting out the clutch lever. You shouldn't feel any rolling resistance until the lever is about 1 inch out.

There are several posts about this. Have him check the routing of the cable also. The cable can get too close to a cylinder and melt a bit.

I second the idea that the clutch cable is not correctly adjusted. Dial it in at the handlebar. Book calls for only 1mm of free play, a very small amount.
Be sure to have some free play though. If there's none then the clutch will wear.

I have a 2004 Breva 750cc - now has over 30,000 miles on it.

Along the way I have kept a text file of reference links and information on the Moto Guzzi 750cc ("small block") line. This includes the Nevada, Breva, Classic, Racer, and V7 models.

dansher.com/bikepix/Guzzi/_V7_fyi.txt
http://www.dansher.com/bikepix/Guzzi/_V7_fyi.txt
Here's a smaller link to the same file that will work better in emails:

tinyurl.com/pfogezq

I had fits with my transmission shifting for the first 9,000 miles or so. Just went over 10,000 miles on the bike and for some reason it finely decided to shift somewhat normal. Unless I get lazy foot and miss a gear once in awhile. The downshifting hang ups clear out much easier these days then it did early on.

Part of it is learning how to let the clutch out a little creating a tiny bit of friction to get the shifting drum moving again to clear the hang ups downshifting.

You really need to get over 10,000 miles for that transmission to loosen up. At least that's how it was with my bike.

I end up very frustrated with my transmission but knew to keep my cool or end up bending a shifting fork. It just takes some miles and smiles.

I just had this issue today. Turned out to be the clutch cable at the handlebar. A few quick spins of the adjuster (out) and I was happily shifting into N again, giving my left hand a much needed break at the stop lights. I am still within my break in period, so I'm sure it's just the clutch cable settling in and getting stretched to where it wants to be.

Hey guys, son in question speaking. So after pulling her out of storage the other day I attempted to shift and met the same result. I had tried rolling forward and letting out the clutch slowly as well as verifying the cable was not partially melted or stretched. I had hoped that when I first noticed the issue it was simply how cold it was out. Not the case! The bike shifts between neutral and 1st perfectly normally, but absolutely will not reach second regardless of force. i rode it into storage before the winter and found that after running in 1st for a while the bike would shift with increasing ease. This leads me to suspect gearbox oil, but I have been unable to find schematics or manuals that are pertinent online. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hey guys, son in question speaking. So after pulling her out of storage the other day I attempted to shift and met the same result. I had tried rolling forward and letting out the clutch slowly as well as verifying the cable was not partially melted or stretched. I had hoped that when I first noticed the issue it was simply how cold it was out. Not the case! The bike shifts between neutral and 1st perfectly normally, but absolutely will not reach second regardless of force. i rode it into storage before the winter and found that after running in 1st for a while the bike would shift with increasing ease. This leads me to suspect gearbox oil, but I have been unable to find schematics or manuals that are pertinent online. Does anyone have any ideas?
Look in the Resource area of this site. I has the manuals for the newer bikes available. I doubt it is an oil problem. If it isn't the clutch cable, and you say it isn't, then it is either the linkage adjustment, or an issue with the gearbox selector. When you press or lift the shift lever, does it return to the center position on its own?

"The change oil indicator is also lit"
I was not aware that any Moto Guzzi's had such a light. Not sure about that but it sounds bad.
If a transmission won't shift into second there is more going on than an issue with the trans oil.
Make sure the linkage can move freely in the required direction. It is an external linkage and you can see if it is hitting or binding on anything.

Hey guys, found the problem. The linkage adjustment is vibrating loose as i ride. Applying locktite, thanks to everyone who took the time to help!

Watch out for that. I was coming back from a ride on my V7R, reached for the lever to shift down at a light, and the lever wasn't there. Fortunately, the loose bits were still there and I managed to piece it back together well enough to get home.

Back