• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Proper connecting rod torque

Chris R

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Anyone have any idea/recommendations for the proper value to torque the falcone rod bolts to?

The manual tells you not to reuse them but doesn't give any values. I have been told 25 ftlbs but the value comes without known provenance.

I will probably torque the old bolts I have to their limit to confirm but it would be nice to know what people do.

I gather that properly torqued loctite/peening the nuts is not required.

The airone bolts look identical, are they?

Thanks,

Chris

I did not know this answer myself. I asked another knowledgeable person who does not frequent this list. His answer is:

-------------------------
I have always put rod bolts on when fitting the rollers at 28 lb ft. I believe I calculated what the value should be when I measured the size of the rod bolts and considered the bolt temper characteristics.

The other thing is that when you grind the crank and fit new rulli, the rod has to be honed to fit with just the slightest amount of drag. Sammy Hale and I did this with at least 4 Guzzi crankshafts. We torqued the new bolts at 28 lb ft. You always have to go back to the same torque as you had when doing the fitting, or binding will occur due to the rod cap going out of round. And Guzzi rods are very sensitive to this. Rod bolts and caps have to be put on exactly how they were when honed and the rod bolts are very precise. The rulli have to pass two cracks....

If I were fitting new rulli without honing the rod or grinding the crank, I would start out at about 20 lb ft. Then I would work it up to 28 lb ft gradually and not go further. However, if binding occurs earlier, you might have to relax the torque a little to achieve the proper drag. I wouldn't do this personally. It is easy enough to get someone to hone the rod to fit new rulli properly.

I have about a dozen new rod bolts on hand for the Falcone. They cost me $12.50 each and I'll sell them for that to Guzzisti. I have no idea if they fit an Airone and I don't know of any that are apart right now to measure.

Using loctite 680 on the nuts during final assembly of the rod bolts is highly recommended. The Guzzi factory has always staked the bolt/nut joint on assembly, but they didn't have loctite back then.
------------------------------------------------------

Can you identify the part number for the Airone rod bolts? I'll match that to the Falcone number to see if they are the same.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Thanks Patrick.
Arggh! I just bought some at great expense from Stucchi - the price actually wasn't too outrageous but the shipping was. You don't have a front chain drive cog do you?

Funny my guess was that the proper stretch for a bolt of that width and length and material to be around 3 thou based on most other bolts I have encountered - which works out on a oil/moly lubricated bolt to be around 28ft/lbs! This is done after torquing and untorquing the bolt three times which as I learned at CAT school is the proper way to do it. As you infer the most prudent thing would be to resize the rods whenever you take them apart as god knows what guzzi actually fitted them at and it is comparatively cheap. Also the rods don't have any dowels which make them susceptible to distortion as you point out. Given that they look fine and seem to work fine and I don't want to disturb the case hardening I will blue them and just do a final check that the 'Rulli' are rolling evenly.

Loctite now do a high temperature/high strength loctite -2620 - that is probably the best stuff if one feels the need. I have assembled hundreds of engines from tiny two strokes to ginourmous diesels and never used loctite or staked the rod bolts and never had a rod failure that wasn't caused by extreme abuse/very old age. I am a bit torn as to whether it is really necessary - either way the bolts are single use.

I have a falcone so I am not really concerned about interchangeability with the Airone except that they look identical and I was curious.

Ta,

Chris

Considering the crude nature of the Falcone rod (no locating dowels and highly sensitive to misalignment) and the educated guess over bolt torque why not just order a carrillo rod for it.They will make a custom rod to whatever size you require and considering what you are getting aren't outrageously expensive either.Carrillo rod bolts are reusable as well withing sensible limits.
Ciao

That is not a bad suggestion - Carillo make excellent rods. Indeed they are almost too beautiful to hide inside an engine!

I went to the factory with the late great Carroll Smith when it was still owned by Mr. Carillo. After a long chat with him about Italy, Guzzi's and what not he went into the back and handed me a pair of rods for my lemans gratis!

Ta,

Chris

Back