RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Welcome to the GT Forum! GuzziTech is now back to our origins; We hope you enjoy the Guzzi Global Community Forum here. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com - Store tab above. You need a different username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation with several business going at once - Sign into the Store to check on orders before contacting us. Thanks for your patience on orders. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000~2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Quota 1000 Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'Quota & TT' started by DavidN, May 14, 2019.

1. DavidN

DavidN Just got it firing!

Hey there!

New to the forum and new to the guzzi world.

Got myself a '91 Quota 1000. I bought it knowing that it had some running issues but I decided to bite the bullet anyway. This bike is to good looking and rare to be ignored.
    First of all, is it normal for the fuel pump to run continuously? I guess it would stop once it got to a certain pressure.
    I´ve balanced the throttle body and check the TPS... everything seems nice. However after riding a bit I have a very hard time to restart the engine. I will crank and crank but just won't fire up. If I let it cool down it will start again pretty easily.

Any thoughts on this guys?

Cheers from Portugal.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

When you turn the key on, it should only run for a few seconds and stop. Once stops then try to start. Considering the age of the fuel pump, it may need replacement.

3. DavidN

Thanks for your reply. I thought so as well. But since this is a very rudimentary EFI system I had my doubts.

4. john zibell

Duration of the fuel pump running is controlled by the ECU. There may be an issue with the programming. Or the fuel pump relay may be stuck closed making it run continuously. Let's hope it is the relay.

5. DavidN

Thanks John. I'll check the relay. I wonder if the fuel pressure sensor is built in the pump or if it's external...

6. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

There is no pressure sensor, it is timed by the ecu. There is a pressure regulator in the system to keep fuel at a steady 3bar in hoses to injectors. It is mechanical not electronic. It is in line on the 1000cc and on the return tap to tank on the 1100cc.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  7. DavidN

Thanks Steve. I'm aware of that regulator. If memory serves me right, it has one fuel inlet supplied from the filter, one vacuum connection to the intake manifold, one outlet to the injectors and one outlet bypass to the tank.
    But I'm missing something. If it is only timed, how can the that pressure (3bar) be maintained? I guess there would be a pressure drop sooner or later... Hummm

BTW... since my pump works continuously, there is a constant stream of fuel flowing back into the tank. This obviously can't be right.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

8. john zibell

David,

The ECU runs the fuel pump for a few seconds to pressurize the system then shuts off. On a correctly functioning bike that is your indicator to start the engine. Once the engine is running, the ECU keeps the fuel pump running. Besides it being a stuck relay, someone may have bypassed that relay in the past to keep the pump running.

V700Steve likes this.
  9. DavidN

OK. That finally makes sense to me. Wouldn't be surprised if it had been bypassed... The bike has clear signs of being mistreated.
    I'll keep you guys posted.
    Cheers! Have a good one!