• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Quota 1000 Fuel Pump

DavidN

Just got it firing!
Hey there!

New to the forum and new to the guzzi world.

Got myself a '91 Quota 1000. I bought it knowing that it had some running issues but I decided to bite the bullet anyway. This bike is to good looking and rare to be ignored.
First of all, is it normal for the fuel pump to run continuously? I guess it would stop once it got to a certain pressure.
I´ve balanced the throttle body and check the TPS... everything seems nice. However after riding a bit I have a very hard time to restart the engine. I will crank and crank but just won't fire up. If I let it cool down it will start again pretty easily.

Any thoughts on this guys?

Cheers from Portugal.

When you turn the key on, it should only run for a few seconds and stop. Once stops then try to start. Considering the age of the fuel pump, it may need replacement.

When you turn the key on, it should only run for a few seconds and stop. Once stops then try to start. Considering the age of the fuel pump, it may need replacement.
Thanks for your reply. I thought so as well. But since this is a very rudimentary EFI system I had my doubts.

Thanks for your reply. I thought so as well. But since this is a very rudimentary EFI system I had my doubts.

Duration of the fuel pump running is controlled by the ECU. There may be an issue with the programming. Or the fuel pump relay may be stuck closed making it run continuously. Let's hope it is the relay.

Thanks John. I'll check the relay. I wonder if the fuel pressure sensor is built in the pump or if it's external...

There is no pressure sensor, it is timed by the ecu. There is a pressure regulator in the system to keep fuel at a steady 3bar in hoses to injectors. It is mechanical not electronic. It is in line on the 1000cc and on the return tap to tank on the 1100cc.

Last edited:
There is no pressure sensor, it is timed by the ecu. There is a pressure regulator in the system to keep fuel at a steady 3bar in hoses to injectors. It is mechanical not electronic. It is in line on the 1000cc and on the return tap to tank on the 1100cc.
Thanks Steve. I'm aware of that regulator. If memory serves me right, it has one fuel inlet supplied from the filter, one vacuum connection to the intake manifold, one outlet to the injectors and one outlet bypass to the tank.
But I'm missing something. If it is only timed, how can the that pressure (3bar) be maintained? I guess there would be a pressure drop sooner or later... Hummm

BTW... since my pump works continuously, there is a constant stream of fuel flowing back into the tank. This obviously can't be right.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

David,

The ECU runs the fuel pump for a few seconds to pressurize the system then shuts off. On a correctly functioning bike that is your indicator to start the engine. Once the engine is running, the ECU keeps the fuel pump running. Besides it being a stuck relay, someone may have bypassed that relay in the past to keep the pump running.

David,

The ECU runs the fuel pump for a few seconds to pressurize the system then shuts off. On a correctly functioning bike that is your indicator to start the engine. Once the engine is running, the ECU keeps the fuel pump running. Besides it being a stuck relay, someone may have bypassed that relay in the past to keep the pump running.
OK. That finally makes sense to me. Wouldn't be surprised if it had been bypassed... The bike has clear signs of being mistreated.
I'll keep you guys posted.
Cheers! Have a good one!

Hi!

So yesterday I finally had some time to get my hands on the Quota.
The relays seem to be working properly. Even interchanged the injection solenoid with the pump solenoid and nothing changed. I traced the pump wiring back to the ECU and everything seemed ok. The pump, on the other hand, seems to have been replaced. So, long story short, the pump runs continuously as soon as I flip the switch to RUN. So I guess it might be ECU related, as John Zibell pointed out.
But my pursuit for Gremlins didn't stop there. The horns work, but somehow someone bypassed the horn relay. I didn't think much of this so I plowed ahead.
I tested the engine head temperature NTC. It was ok.
Then I spotted the air sensor mounted underneath the left horn. It was clearly damaged... half of it was missing. How much can a non existing air temperature sensor affect the poor performance and the hard start when hot??
It's exactly the same model as the engine temperature sensor, so I'm going to order one right after I post this.

Cheers!

A damaged air temperature sensor will impact starting and running. It is part of the calculation for air density. It seems engine temperature has more effect on running, but the air temperature part of the equation is needed as well.

So I finally replaced the air temperature sensor but the symptoms didn't change. I checked the valves and the intake had no clearance whatsoever. Tuned them but unfortunately the bike is still very difficult to restart when hot and stalls at full throttle. On a cold start the quota revs up nicely but as the engine starts to get warmer she will act up on me.
Considering going to a Guzzi dealer to see what they have to say.

Next possibility is the engine temperature sensor. Have you checked that yet? That sensor has more impact on a hot engine on controlling injector timing.

I have tested a few ECU on my 1100 sport I and it was always a faulty ECU once relay as been checked .

I s there a remote possibility that you may have a coil problem when it heats up ? Have a spare plug handy
and remove the ground electrode ( it simulates the spark energy required under compression) and simply
remove a plug lead , install test plug and crank engine to test for spark (test plug grounded of course ) Peter

Back