Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - We're offering FREE shipping on orders over $99 for U.S. customers now through Monday (11/30) midnight PST. Use COVID-20-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone; Stay healthy and hope you can get out and ride! Also, see our Newsletter link in the General Chat section below.

quota rim cracks

Discussion in 'Quota & TT' started by FallonDave, Mar 20, 2019.

1. FallonDave

FallonDave Just got it firing!

Just bought a 2000 Quota in overall good shape, don't regret it. use to ride an 850 Lemans- should of never sold it. had several bikes since, always wanted back on a Guzzi. After buying it ran across an article about upgrades and the history of these developing rims cracks. Upon looking closer at the rear rim I found about 11 cracks, none in the front rim. Haven't contacted Buchanan's yet (know it will be spendy), any advice/suggestion help, prior experience from other members would be appreciated. Has a Mistrale ehxaust and power commander 3. Runs ok but throttle mapping seams off a bit. Will deal with it later after wheel rim and boat eats up my money.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

For Power Commander help I suggest you contact Todd direct. He has done quite a bit of Power Commander development. Also he may have up to date information on wheels. You can contact him via the store tab.

3. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Thanks John, Hi Dave. Congrats and welcome back to the Guzzi Famiglia. Yes the rims are known to crack. I have a means to do them much cheaper than Buchanans these days. The PC gets a bad wrap a lot of time on older bikes... the bike has to run decent without the PC. If there is an issue, no mapping will correct it. That said, a lot of people who didn't buy from me, ended up with a off the shelf unit with either no map, or a stock map on a non-stock bike. Download the free software to your PC, and "Get Map" - "Save Map" and send to me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

4. lesman

lesman Just got it firing!

A California tubeless wheel, caliper, rotor, hangar, axle is a direct boltup. The caliper, rotor and hangar are different on the quota. A california axle spacer inside the rear end is needed unless you use a 2mm spacer for clearance. A quota axle can be used if use a thinner washer where the axle nut bolts on. The wheel can be found in the $250-450 range. Caliper and hangar in the $100-150 range. The California real brake is really nice. I did this to my Quota. I also converted my front wheel to tubeless. My rear wheel had 19 cracks. My front wheel has none. I bought my rear wheel/rotor from Guzzitech. I bought caliper and hangar on ebay. Because I used a Quota axle. I milled 2-3mm in the hangar to get enough threads. With new setup the caliper is below the swingarm vs abopve on the swingarm on Quota's. I figured the setup is a wash of which is cheaper to do . Buchannon/woody wheel or California wheel . I think I have $525-$575 in my setup.. Good luck