RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Radial Tire Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Bncprf, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Garth Weston

Garth Weston Just got it firing!

Can anyone tell me the actual installed width of the Conti RA3 110/80 18? I installed Conti Classic Attacks on my BSA and the actual front tire width was only 93mm (after 6000 km) and not 101 to 108mm (100/90/19 front) as stated in Conti tech manual. Not complaining as they work great, but would like to confirm the size before I install the RA3s on my v7iii Stone.

2. Neville

Neville Just got it firing!

They seem true to size, measured mine at 109mm.

Godfrey and Stradagene like this.
  3. Garth Weston

Garth Weston Just got it firing!

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be installing the Contis this winter.

4. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Don't have the bike in the garage to measure for you, but both front and rear tires fit thru the stock shocks & forks with much to spare...

5. SaulGuzzi

SaulGuzzi Tuned and Synch'ed

which tube size did you go with? Could you recommend me a link?

6. V7RacerNZ

V7RacerNZ Just got it firing!

Has anyone tried an 18" rear rim on their V7. I talked briefly to a guy at the Australian MotoGP who had laced up an 18" rear rim and he said it really helped the handling and he liked the higher gearing. I didn't ask what width tire he was running and now I'm wondering if it has the same effect as dropping the front. I'll upload a picture I took. I've also found an Outex tubeless kit on Ebay that would allow running tubless tires without tubes on spoked wheels saving unsprung weight. V7 Racer 18" Rear Rim.jpg

7. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

The effect is the same as dropping the head clamps on the fork stanchions, up to a point. Of course, you eventually run into tire clearance issues, depending on the size of the tire being used, and it is jacking you up a bit which changes the dynamics of handling the bike through corner transitions. Plus you've got more unsprung weight and rotating mass to manage. It can be good, it can also degrade things ... It's the sort of small change that done within reason you might find nice but you might not, too.

When the suspension was done on my Racer at GT, we dropped the clamps 10mm to good effect: the front end feels easier to turn without instabilities. I think I could drop it another 5-10mm to quicken the steering even further with the Conti RA3 tires before I start to hit the point of feeling too quick, but I kinda like a slightly lazy feel. And, with the Conti RA3s fitted, the gearing seems just about perfect to me. So upping the rear tire diameter is not a change that I'd be all that interested in trying.

But ... as they say, "Your Mileage May Vary"! :D

G

Stradagene likes this.
  8. SaulGuzzi

My conti ra3 didnt come with a balance mark, did anyone elses come without a balance mark?

9. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

No balance marks on mine, either.

10. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Some of the Euro tire companies have the pride/arrogance that their tires are perfectly balanced (always mark the rim’s heavy spot). Always a 50/50 shot in the dark. I have had some luck of using the visible seam (if seen) or the bar code labels if embedded on the inside of the tire as the mark.

11. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Negative with balance mark on my tires also

12. SaulGuzzi

I just finished installing my tires last night.
    Putting tires on by hand in front of a gas station is a major pain in the ass.

13. grame

grame Tuned and Synch'ed

Need new tyres for Stone iii and just checking on the options:
    Bridgestone B45
    Conti RA3 (radials)
    Pirelli MT-60's (front radial and rear cross ply)
    Stock Demon Pirelli

Is there any consensus on what's best? Mostly to be used for urban runabout/commuter/

Poppe likes this.
  14. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

There is Pilots and shinko's but if u have mountains the contis are the best.

15. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

I'm completely delighted with the set of Conti RA3 tires on mounted on Kinesis Tubeless spoked rims that Todd and I set up last Spring. I went for the 80 aspect ratio series front tire alternative ... wider tread and a higher performance rating than the OEM fitted 90 aspect ratio series tires.

The stock Pirelli Demons are pretty crappy in my opinion. No experience with any other tires.

Stradagene likes this.
  16. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Can't tell you about anything but Conti vs Stock. It's night and day. My RA3's are brilliant and actually some times give me too much confidence on my bike where as my Pirelli's always felt vague and loose. The biggest thing for me as a runabout/commutter was on the freeway where there would be bumps and dips and lines about, this would cause a "squirrelly" feeling on my bike where it almost felt like it was dancing back and forth. With the RA3's it really subdued all that. They are a blast to run on this bike and confidence inspiring.

Stradagene likes this.
  17. grame

grame Tuned and Synch'ed

My dealer recommended sticking with the stock OEM Pirellis on account of the system needing to be reset by riding for a mile at the same speed - not easy in the centre of London...

18. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

I stand corrected. On V7’s with TC, see below/attached. I’ve never had to do this with any tire replacement of similar sizes. Only when tire pressures are low, which is a good indicator, does the TC step in early. All said, I personally ride with it off always.

F1C5D4B3-DBB6-4169-B684-B81908DC40E8.jpeg
    3F6DBEF1-8C60-48BC-A849-051933689FDC.jpeg

Poppe likes this.
  19. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

I believe that the V7 TC system needs to be reset even if you use the same brand/model tires.

20. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

CYA! On my second rear and first front Conti on my Iii and never followed that rule.. I would never use anything else if curves are in your future.