RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Welcome to the GT Forum! GuzziTech is now back to our origins; We hope you enjoy the Guzzi Global Community Forum here. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com - Store tab above. You need a different username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation with several business going at once - Sign into the Store to check on orders before contacting us. Thanks for your patience on orders. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000~2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Radial Tire Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Bncprf, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Stradagene

Stradagene Cruisin' Guzzisti

Only possible due to the generous and friendly assistance of fellow members of the GT famiglia here on these discussion forums.
    Thank you!

2. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

With spoked wheels, if I fit redial tyres, with tubes, will I still get all of the advantages of radial tyres except for the tubelessness?

3. farmboy460

farmboy460 Tuned and Synch'ed

I know it is a different kettle of fish but with car tires running tubes in radial tires not made for it was a really bad idea. It creates more heat and possible blowouts.

roadscum likes this.
  4. Dinsdale Piranha

What about the much touted better handling and/or mileage?

5. Stradagene

I thought Todd was exaggerating, but, no. He was absolutely correct.
    I picked up my V7R from Todd on Friday with the new Continental Road Attack 3s and put just over 300 miles on them this weekend.
    Truly a night and day difference in terms of handling and confidence.
    I haven't calculated milage yet - although I don't suspect there would be any difference.
    (For the first 90 miles I did an even and exact 50 mpg ~ the problem is there is no baseline for that number. I don't know what I was averaging with the previous Sports Demons, AND my racer is an 820 cc - 4 valve so it is unlikely a direct comparison with other V7s.)

6. Dinsdale Piranha

So, if I put those tyres onto my bike (spoked wheels) with tubes, does anyone know if such a night and day difference would be in evidence for me, or does having a tube in there take away most/all of the handling advantage?

7. Stradagene

* I did find the RAIIIs noticeably more unstable under 2 mph - perhaps a consequence of their profile?
    ...well worth the trade off!! :)

8. Stradagene

My bike has spoked wheels, and I therefore run tubes.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  9. Dinsdale Piranha

OK, I give up!

10. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Yes, Google bias ply versus radial tire construction. Tubes or not, doesn't matter. Chris states his opinion above. Yes you will notice a difference if you have enough miles under you.

The point of this thread is to let people know about radial tires, not on what everyone is using outside of them. ;)

11. Stradagene

Welcome! ;)

12. Garth Weston

Garth Weston Just got it firing!

I just purchased my Guzzi so don't have experience on the V7iii yet. Installed Continental road attack radials with tubes on my 71 BSA rocket 3 and it is a major improvement over the old Dunlop tt100 or Avons. Much better grip, especially in the rain. I only have 4000 km on them but they still look new so I suspect they will last much longer .

13. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

I feel you pain, seems like a simple question. I would expect with such a brilliant group of riders here someone would be able to provide an answer and brief explanation to support their answer. It just ain't happening here...

Paul

14. Stradagene

A quick ride report.

I've had the RA3's on the V7 Racer for two weeks now, and I've put a little over 700 miles on them so far.

They're remarkably better than the Pirelli Sports Demons that I had on the bike previously.

There were occasions when the Sports Demons had a bit of a squishy feeling to them; a feeling as if one didn't really know what the tire was going to do because it felt like it was distending between the road and the bike. It left a lingering sense of reduced confidence in what one could expect.

Completely the opposite with the RA3s. They feel so much more attached and really provide a good idea of what your tires are doing, where they're going, and how much more they have to give. The spongy feeling that the Sports Demons sometimes had is completely gone.

Near the end of last Sunday's ride I came a bit hot into a reverse-banked curve of decreasing radius that I didn't quite see through because of the setting sun. At that point I just needed more lean, and the RA3s performed admirably. I had the feedback that I needed to lean in and roll on the throttle to make a clean exit - and the confidence to know that the tires would stick through it. It was nice. In a situation like this the feedback from the Sports Demons would not have been so positive. They would have been much more nebulous.

So far, definite thumbs up.

15. Jason Mcculloch

Jason Mcculloch Just got it firing!

Great info! Did you stick with stock width or go 1 size up...?

16. Stradagene

Stock sizes:
    Continental Conti Road Attack 3 130/80 R17 65V
    Continental Conti Road Attack 3 100/90 R18 56V

Robebop likes this.
  17. Robebop

Robebop Tuned and Synch'ed

So then how much larger can you go with these tyres and what are the benefits if you went to a larger fitting?

18. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

there are no benefits from going to a larger size. There are un-benefits such as interfering with the handling characteristics that the manufacturer has designed for that motorcycle and the OEM size tires.

19. GT-Rx®

OK, so I now (finally) have access to a very limited count of the Conti RA IIIs. Ping me direct email if you want a set; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Stradagene and GR1 like this.
  20. GT-Rx®

Now in stock...

1FCFFD9E-303C-403B-97D1-D546CDD3E89F.jpeg

Poppe, TimmyTheHog and GR1 like this.