RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Radial Tire Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Bncprf, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GR1

GR1 Tuned and Synch'ed

+1 for the Conti RA3's

Many thanks to Todd for procuring & the professional install

All thoughts are in comparison to the stock Demons (v7ii stone '16):
    - More confident feel in all scenarios
    - These tires love to corner. First turn on them (a turn I take almost every time I ride) and I almost hit the curb (right-hand turn) because these just love to bite into the lean
    - More mellow at high speeds. Particularly noticed when going over those little reflector bumps on the HOV double-yellow

Haven't had a chance to put any serious miles on them (only about 250+ around town), but I'm eagerly looking forward to some canyon runs this weekend to really see how they handle

Regards,
    GR

hody166, Stradagene and GT-Rx® like this.
  2. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

So nice...

Up in Canada, the tires are still back ordered with possible of Mid Nov delivery...:smoke:

I really really really really really want to ride...:banghead::worried:

3. jr1967

jr1967 Cruisin' Guzzisti

4. timax

timax Tuned and Synch'ed

5. jr1967

jr1967 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Any idea what the difference between the RA2 and 3 is? I can't find much in Continentals' description

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  6. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Basically 3 is the upgraded version of 2.

Not saying 2 isn't good, it is just 3 is claimed to be that much more better.

Here is an article about it.
    https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/continental-road-attack-3

And here is the article from the tire manufacture itself
    https://www.continental-tires.com/m...s/newsroom/20170529-cra-3-testsieger-motorrad
    https://www.continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/sport-touring/contiroadattack3

And my reartire has finally been located!!! AFTER 2 MONTHS of BACKORDERING!!!!...OMG anything to Canada is like asking a snail to deliver a rush package...

7. jr1967

jr1967 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Ok I see. Sounds like the easier available tires like RA2 or SA2 will be good enough for me... Actually still happy with my BT45's.
    I remember long time ago on the race track seeing a test rider of a magazine doing lap times on a R1100GS with Michelin T66 Dual Sport tires going 12 seconds quicker than me on a sport bike with sticky tires.... Lesson learned; in my case it was not the tires that needed improvement :)

8. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

This thread is really amazing. Got to say thanks to all you guys for doing the leg work. This basically solidified my thoughts on what to get next.

GR1 and TimmyTheHog like this.
  9. MotoBug

MotoBug Tuned and Synch'ed

About to replace the rear tyre with probably another sport demon on my spoke rimmed V7ii Special.

Any updates on user experience for the rear version of the Conti Road attack 3?

Is it actually a radial tyre rather than cross ply? I thought I saw two versions of it on the Conti website one marked CR.

Is a radial tyre of value on a bike like the V7?

And lastly, I can't see the size specified in the manual. 130 / 80 - 17 65H. I'd be using it with original sport demon on front if it matters.

https://www.continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/sport-touring/contiroadattack3

All replies welcome thanks.

Poppe likes this.
  10. Stradagene

Stradagene Cruisin' Guzzisti

Poppe likes this.
  11. Stradagene

Poppe likes this.
  12. MotoBug

Thanks Stradagene. I've got the size from the owners manual but I looked on the Conti website and didn't see the correct size for the V7ii. I'll look again.

It's possible that size isn't available here.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    hody166 likes this.
  13. jpv7

jpv7 Tuned and Synch'ed

i think you need to change both front and rear when you make this change. Not good to mix both types non-radial/radial.

14. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

What are you referring to? Chris listed the stock tire sizes on every V7 since 2009 to date... yes they are available. The 2017 also approves 110/80-18 front (available as a RAIII) and 140/70-17 rear (not available in the RAIII).

Stradagene likes this.
  15. MotoBug

That's a thought I suppose JPV7. Having said that I can't see any info that says it's a radial tyre. I'd appreciate a link if someone has it handy.

I wasn't asking what size tyres the V7 uses. I know what the tyre size is as it's in the V7ii owners manual as well as listed earlie in this thread. What I'm saying is that when I click through to the Australian version of the Conti website the rear size suitable for the V7 ie 130/80 17 65H is not on the Conti website so I assume not available here.

My first post...I can see why the confusion. I said I can't see the size specced in the manual (followed by that size) What I meant was that I can't see the size recommended in the manual being available on the Conti website.
    https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/radial-tire-thread.16997/page-5#post-139376

16. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

1. In the size charts there is a column that has "R" or "ZR". for Radial or Zero Radial. I'm not sure "Zero Radial" means because I thought that radial meant that the cord ply was at zero degrees. My guess is that conventional radials have some zero plies and some bias plies, whereas the ZRs have all of the plies at Zero.
    2. At the size charts, select the Rear Tire tab.
    PS: I looked at what I thought was the Aussie web site in addition to the US site.

Dan

MotoBug likes this.
  17. MotoBug

Thanks Dan. On the Conti site I selected the rear tyre tab. Maybe an internet gremlin (or brain fart) at the time but I can now see correct size for the V7. Unfortunately online retailers in Australia don't seem to offer it unless maybe it can be ordered. I guess the 0 degrees symbol means radial but I've come back to bikes after a long spell and all sorts of magic seems to be involved in this hobby nowadays.

Anyway I'm going to put another Sport Demon on the back and look into the Contis next time. Hopefully users of the Conti can keep us updated on their experience with it.

18. Stradagene

If you can order the radial tires I would encourage you to do that - front and rear. As others have said, you don't want to mix bias-ply with radial.
    Yes, it will be a bit more expensive, but I personally found the Pirelli Sports Demons to be an expensive option. One seems to burn through them quite quickly requiring frequent replacement.

In terms of riding enjoyment, the Continental RA3s are a night and day improvement over the bias-ply Sports Demons. I thought that was an exaggeration until I switched to the RA3 and experienced the difference for myself. It's not that one can't enjoy the V7 with Sports Demon bias-plies. I enjoyed the hell out of my bike with the Sports Demons. I just enjoyed it that much more once I had the Continental Road Attack III's installed!

I haven't had the RA3s on my bike long enough to report on ultimate longevity, but I can already see that it looks like they are wearing significantly better than the Sports Demons that had to be replaced so frequently. If I remember correctly Continental claims that differing amounts of silica are used from centerline to side in order to give the stickiest grip when cornering (the RA3s corner much better than the Sports Demons!) but provide better tire life with a harder compound on centerline. So far, at least in my experience, it looks like this is true.

I would already be 1/2 - 3/4 through the life of Sports Demons had I replaced my tires with those again. I don't think I'm even 1/3 into the life of the RA3s - and they are way way way better on the road.

So - again - my advice is to order them (front and back) even if you have to wait to get them. You'll probably end up paying less overall and you'll definitely be getting a better ride.

19. MotoBug

Thanks stradagrene but there's enough landfill as is without me adding to it by chucking a perfectly good front tyre on the heap. When ready I'll look into the options and hope for Conti user updates. Or even the new and improved version!

Cheers, MotoBug

20. Stradagene

Right... but if you end up putting 6 Sport Demons in the landfill for every pair of Road Attacks that you put in the landfill, even that line of reasoning doesn't argue in favor of going for another Sport Demon.

I don't know how many miles I'm going to get out of the RA3s that I have on my bike now, but based on how many Sport Demons I've put in the landfill I made a seat of the pants estimate. ;)

(It might be closer to 4 SDs for every pair of RA3s!!!) Ha ha

But even if it is 4 SD for every pair of RA3s instead of 6 SD for every pair of RA3s, if you don't have the equipment to change your own tires [and I don't], the cost for running Sport Demons is even more expensive than 2X the cost of the tires as one also pays mounting twice as often.

I still think you're better off chucking the "good" front tire (is it really 'perfect'?)and putting on two new radials - economically - if you're at all inclined to think in terms of even the shortest long game - environmentally - to avoid filling up that landfill - and finally, for the vastly increased enjoyment that you'll get out of every moment that you ride the bike.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018