RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Radial Tire Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Bncprf, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

Thanks! I'll do some measurements on the Pirellis since they're still on the bike to verify. The Contis in a month or two... :)

2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

And to add, based on the reciprocating mass differences, the RA’s are another score. Wow.

3. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

Oh yeah... less unsprung weight, less rotating inertia to overcome. All wins...!

4. egschade

egschade Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I ride on dirt/gravel roads and have had good success with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires. Would like to put them on my bike but when looking at the sizes, the front is bias while the rear is radial. I'm thinking it's a bad idea to mix the two types even if they are the same brand and tread. Thoughts? The only brand that has a matching set of DS tires that I've found are the Heidenau Scout tires which are too dirt oriented for my needs.

5. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

Non-radial 80/20 options:
    Kenda 761 (TL)
    Shinko 705 - use 4.10-18 front (TT)
    Options that require using a rear tire on the front - mount reversed
    Avon AV54 Trailrider (TL)
    Continental TKC70 (TT)

grame likes this.
  6. egschade

The Pirelli MT-60r radial is available in 110/80-18 but only offers a 120/70-17 rear which I think will be too small. The Metzler Tourance dual compound radial DOES come in the correct rear size. What are folks thoughts on mixing brands of similar style (90/10 street/dirt) tires?

Other option is the Pirelli MT-60 bias tire on the rear (not available for front) which is the same tread pattern. That means radial front - bias on back. Also sounds sketchy...

7. theoneandonlymin

theoneandonlymin Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

8. egschade

The new V7 Rough come with Pirelli MT60 tires - radial front & bias rear. Ordered up a set...

9. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

Well how about now. At 3000 and maybe 1000 left on stock rear!

10. cadyfatcat

cadyfatcat Just got it firing!

@egschade
    I am currently running Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tires on my V7ii with stock sizing: front bias/rear radial. Great tires and bike has been dramatically improved, read earlier in this thread for more in depth description. As someone else mentioned running front bias with rear radial should not be an issue - but the other way around (front radial/rear bias) is known to be destabilizing, although many people on the ADV boards I also frequent have supposedly run that setup without issue, I would not chance it. But again, front bias rear radial is generally agreed upon as ok. I have certainly had very good results with that and I ride hard.

@vagrant As for longevity, I will say this. I killed the stock Demons, which were ok performing tires IMO while they lasted in 4500 miles. The back totally worn down and the front with ~30% life left. I put on the Scorpion Trail II's and now have 5500 miles on them - and the front is actually wearing down faster than the rear - the front being a bias ply! I don't know what is better proof of the assertion that radial will give you better life than having both on the bike at the same time, knowing previously the rear tire was prone to wear faster than the front, and then having the opposite result. The rear still seems to have good life in it and the front almost looks as if it should be replaced within 500 miles. I am not currently with my bike but will be this weekend, so I will post pictures of the wear soon.

So while I don't have info on RAIII's specifically yet, I solidly recommend you get radials on asap. The change is too dramatic to let pass by. I am also going to try the RAIII's next so will be able to compare them to the STII's

Bill Hagan likes this.
  11. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

Well i took a good look this am and the rear will be bald at 3500. I hit the send button on an RA3 for $117. to the door and we will see what happens. the tube will disappear when the replacement happens. interesting the 2015 in Az. made it 4400 miles on the rear. don't know if the tube on the 17 helped trash it sooner or the roads here.

12. mechanicsavant

mechanicsavant Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Just put a set of Conti RA3s on my V7ii, after 200mi love em. Ride quality is better,they don't seem to dive into corners as the sport demons did, possibly because front is a 110/80-18 .also on using tubes on cast wheels some early cast wheels didn't have the "saftey bead" cast in & tubes were recommended.

TimmyTheHog likes this.
  13. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

wait, if I read your post right, you have tubes in your RA3?

As for performance, they are easier to turn, more easier to handle, and yes as you mentioned, doesn't dive as Sports Demons were which kind of scared me

14. mechanicsavant

mechanicsavant Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Perhaps I didn't express myself adequately. What I was referring too was when cast wheels were first introduced some mfg.s didn't cast in a safety bead . Think trailer wheels ,cheap trailer wheels . All newer wheels have them I hope ! That's the pop you hear when the tire "seats",surprisingly the rear tire took almost 100 psi. To seat! Front only took 60ish to seat! Once again sorry about any confusion . Not only is my typing wanting ,sometimes my Fung gets all tucked- up too

TimmyTheHog likes this.
  15. Midnite

Midnite Tuned and Synch'ed

Just had the RA3's mounted when the OEM tires wore out at just over 5K. As many have stated, it is a night/day difference that COMPLETELY transformed the bike. I updated the suspension around 2K miles and was still missing something. The RA3's sealed the deal. They're MUCH smoother, and immeasurably more confident in turns. I now feel completely confident pushing the bike in every way, and find it much more enjoyable to ride in every situation.

I went with the stock rear size and on Todd's recommendation, got the 110 in front, which looks great and feels even better.

Poppe, TimmyTheHog, RedHawk47 and 2 others like this.
  16. egschade

Interesting that Guzzi appears to put MT60's on their new Rough variant with radial front and bias rear so things can't be that bad. I'm not overly concerned as I seldom do highways and even then it's rarely over 70mph. Maybe they figure that the 'typical' V7 rider rides this way and isn't doing track days.

17. jpv7

jpv7 Tuned and Synch'ed

I have a front RA3 radial arriving today for my V7ii, size 110/80-18. There is a new Michelin Pilot Activ bias ply on the rear, so I'm leaving it on until it wears out.

I will mount this tire on the front, and then proceed to ride as hard and fast as I can (mostly over 70 mph). I'll let you know what i discover, but i expect that it will be just fine.

Cheers.

Old Goose likes this.
  18. timax

timax Tuned and Synch'ed

So how are you finding the MT60's?
    Is the 130 rear the same small block as the Radial version as used by Ducati on their scrambler or is it a chunkier tread paten?
    The Ducati guys seem to rave about these tyres and i like the look of them more than the Trail 2's so would love to hear your thoughts.
    Is the compound different between the 2 or is it really only the radial/bias construction?

19. egschade

I haven't mounted them as yet - having some back issues and doing a tire change isn't happening for a bit. May bite the bullet and have the dealer do it.

As far as tread blocks, the rear bias has similar looking blocks but they are slightly larger and deeper than the front radial. Pirelli doesn't really offer any information about compound. Reviews for both radial and bias indicate either constructions sticks well, even in cold and wet, so I suspect (hope) they behave when mixed together.

Again, I don't ride all that fast anymore so I do not expect problems from the front radial / rear bias mix. Not sure I'd want to push the envelope on this combo. Aggressive riders would need to be careful at 9/10 or 10/10 pace but if that's your riding style you probably should be on full street tires anyway.

timax likes this.
  20. timax

timax Tuned and Synch'ed

Well i just ordered the same tyres! The Conti RA3's aren't available out here yet and will be expensive when they are. I was going to get some Scorpion Trail 2's as i think they would be perfect for the roads i ride, or want to ride. The MT60's i hate to say just look so cool and are cheap here. Going to do as many gravel road trips as i can while i have them.