RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Radial Tire Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Bncprf, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Beau1K

Beau1K Tuned and Synch'ed

Is there any trade-in value for brand new takeoff's? Should I just put on the RA3's straight away?

I picked up on "have to remove the final drive to fit" thing but nobody mentioned how big of a job that is. It's only every 5000 miles so is it really an issue? Is it worth it?

Seems like a lot of folks are in the STAY STOCK size camp but for me I'd wanna go as big as possible for a nice fat contact patch.

Another thing. I don't wanna deal with tubes and I FOR SURE don't wanna polish chrome...so my dealer has agreed to swap out the spoke wheels for the cast ones off another V7III - for sure they are tubeless RIGHT?

And can I get some clarification on what the size options are.

Seems like the best setup is: RA3's with110/80-18 on the front and 130/80-17 on the rear? Front is 18 rear is 17? Is that the setup where I have to remove the final drive?

Robebop likes this.
  2. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

responses to your Qs in order.

- I've never seen any shop offer a trade-in value for new tire take-offs. I've put about 2300 miles on the stock tires, and will have about 2800 on them when I toss them. They don't fill me with confidence.

- I dunno about taking off the final drive with the V7III to change a tire. All I've ever seen on my previous Guzzis is pull one of the mufflers. It's not hard to pull the drive in any case; I'll see what's required when we put the new wheels and tires on my bike.

- Do what you please, but I'll tell you from my experience that going "as big as possible to fit" is rarely a good option for handling. It usually causes problems, in fact. Stock size to one size up, particularly if using the stock rims, is as much as makes sense. I'm staying with stock sizing.

- If you want tubeless, you either have to source the cast wheels from the V7III models that have them or buy aftermarket wheels. I'm doing the latter.

- That's the sizing that I'm getting in Conti RA3s, yes.

All set to head down to the shop on Friday and get the suspension and wheels work done. Looking forward to the ride, the work, and the results. :D

3. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

final drive does not need to come off. remove left muffler and lower shock bolt on left shock then pivot up. It makes it easier to get tire back in if you let the air out. Wast of money not using up the original tire first. you sound new to this and wouldn't know the difference anyway.

4. timax

timax Tuned and Synch'ed

I just pulled the rear wheel of my V7II and found with the left muffler off it was still tight and i was possibly going to scratch the rim. Im sure you could probably do it but i wanted to check the lube on my splines anyway so took the drive off. Really it adds 5 min to the job at the most and then gives you heaps of room.
    This is with only a centre stand , no jack. I wanted to see what it would be like when on the side of the road.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. jpv7

jpv7 Tuned and Synch'ed

I disconnected the right shock also (make sure to support swingarm!) which allowed it to come down a bit more and that helped.

6. Beau1K

Beau1K Tuned and Synch'ed

:rofl: Waste of money is riding on crap tires. And fear not, no money is being wasted, nowadays we have this "internet" thing where folks can list usable items for sale.

I'm gonna list them for $150 for the pair...then the new tires will only cost me net like $200...I can live with that to have what I want.

And yeah...not new...but thanks :punch:

Stradagene likes this.
  7. Godfrey

Spent the day at the GT Motocycles shop with my V7III Racer installing suspension, wheels, and tires.

- New springs for the rear Öhlins shocks, a higher rate than OEM to handle my size/weight body.
    - A Matris fork cartridge kit with, again, springs more closely matched to my weight.
    - A set of Kineo tubeless spoked wheels in the OEM standard sizing.
    - A set of Conti RA3s in the 110/80-18 and 130/80-17 sizes.

One detail that the mechanic suggested (and I went for) was to drop the front end 10mm on the fork stanchions for a bit faster steering turn-in. It seemed reasonable to me, and is similar to what I once did with my LeMans V way back in the mists of time.

Once installed, we set up the Matris fork adjustments to the suggested standards, then tweaked the preload just a little bit lighter from there to get the sag where it felt good to me sitting still. Similarly, the rear suspension units are at the default damping settings, we set up the sag per the spec, and then tweaked the setting just a little bit higher to where it felt good to me sitting statically in the shop. Then I took the bike for a short ride to see what it felt like.

Much better: The steering felt more planted and confidence-inspiring, the steering turn-in more natural. The tires feel much more grippy and predictable. I returned to the shop and we did a leak check on the forks (none) and arranged for my stop-back tomorrow morning to pick up all my take-offs with my partner so I can bring them home and decide what to do with them.

(Anyone want a set of V7III Racer OEM wheels with some low-mileage Pirelli rim protectors on them? :D)

It was only a short test ride as it was late in the day and both I and the mechanic wanted to shut down for the evening. I rode back to my hotel afterwards (about a 6 mile run through heavy Friday evening traffic) and my impressions held true: the bike feels much better to me with these upgrades. Of course, that's still only a little bit of ride testing and no serious corner carving yet .. I was too tired and traffic on a Friday evening too heavy and crazy to do much more. After my partner and I pick up the take-offs tomorrow, I'll ride the bike the 400 miles back home to Santa Clara ... While it might be spot on, I fully expect that I'll need to do just a little more pre-load and damping tweaking when I have some more time in different riding situations on the setup. But it's far closer to the mark already, a much better point to work from.

Overall, the changes are all positive and the value of doing these changes obvious and worth it to me. It takes what I know is a very good bike and moves it up to an even better level.

Many thanks to Todd and his mechanic, David, for their advice and efforts! They've truly done me very well, and although this work is not an inexpensive proposition, when I think what it might have taken me in time and trying different combinations and tires, it saved a huge amount of effort and expense to have their advice and act upon it. I didn't have to go for the Kineo wheels, but they are for sure very pretty indeed and they are a real tubeless rim, with no messing about trying to seal up the OEM wire wheels or switching to a tubeless mag wheel.

Onwards! Home tomorrow! :)

Poppe and Stradagene like this.
  8. drawnverybadly

drawnverybadly Just got it firing!

Godfrey, any reason you stuck with OEM sized Kineo wheels instead of 17" all around? I feel you'd have way more tire options with 17" front and rear.

9. Godfrey

That would go to another level of modification and research, thinking about what tires in what sizes, etc, would work properly. I like the fundamental handling dynamics that the V7III Racer already has and was interested in preserving that. If in the future tires that work become unavailable in this size, well, then we can always go with alternative wheels and sizings.

Of course, if light weight is really your objective, the beautiful Kineo tubeless wire wheels are the wrong direction anyway ... you really want a set of carbon fiber mag wheels for that. That's a whole different order of business from what I wanted, which is simply a little further on the meme that the Racer already has.

10. Godfrey

I ran a bit too late to make it all the way home last night due to fatigue and cold. So I stopped over for the night at King City and completed the run home this morning. It was cool and sunny this morning, a beautiful morning to ride.

The ride home was 460 miles, total trip mileage a little over 900 miles. Racer ran flawlessly the entire way.

The new suspension setup does EXACTLY what I was hoping for: Racer now has a firm, plush ride with no harshness, and soaks up highway bumps that used to bash me in the butt and rattle my teeth. The Kineo wheels are gorgeous. The tires and steering are FAR more confidence inspiring.

I am extremely pleased ... This upgrade of suspension, wheels, and tires was money well spent. :D

Poppe, GT-Rx® and Stradagene like this.
  11. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

You are making me really jealous. That suspension upgrade sounds dreamy. I have the Conti 3s and they are already dreamy so I can't imagine what the new suspension is like. My back end feels a little squirrly on bumps when I had the stock tires, less so now with the 3s and I bet it's even more dreamy now with that setup.

Godfrey likes this.
  12. Godfrey

Sorry to make you drool, Poppe. Well, a little bit. :D

The Kineo wheels are a lovely extravagance... But the real meat of the upgrade is the suspension work—getting the spring rates and preload correct with good damping. That can be done for lots less than changing the wheels like I did.

I figured I don't know how many more motorcycles I'll fall in love with like I have with this one, so I might as well make it everything it can be that suits my desires.

Midnite and Poppe like this.
  13. Poppe

I have the same feeling about mine and upgrading it to my desires. I have a 5-8 year plan with her. I think I saw your wheels on instgram on the Guzzitech feed. The racer right? Pretty crazy how fantastic they look on the bike. I bet in person they are even more insane.

Also what a trip!

Godfrey likes this.
  14. Godfrey

I don't know about the Guzzitech Instagram feed! How does one see that?

Yes, my bike is a V7III Racer. I promised Todd a nice photo of myself and the bike so you'll see them in all their glory soon; I've been pretty busy today. The wheels are quite lovely pieces, subtle and beautifully done. I'll get to the last installment on the trip report soon too, and will add all three pieces I've written to the Ride Report.

Poppe likes this.
  15. Poppe

Here it is. Both the Guzzitech and the GT Moto Cycles feed are great for seeing what everyone else is up to. It basically what I use to go, oh yup that's what I should do with my suspension or wheels or whatever. Ha.

This is yours right - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi-h7UfhXqs/?hl=en&taken-by=guzzitech

GT-Rx® likes this.
  16. Godfrey

Indeed it is! Todd must have caught that shot before I stepped outside as I was getting ready to leave. :)

That's the Guzzi Comfort Gel dualseat on the bike, used for travel so I can fit the little tailbag on the passenger portion. I usually prefer the monoposto saddle: it's more comfortable.

GT-Rx® and Poppe like this.
  17. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

I have a feed on the landing page at the very bottom as well; https://www.guzzitech.com/
    And yes, snapped it when you were gearing up.

Poppe likes this.
  18. Godfrey

19. harris

harris Just got it firing!

Hi everyone. Has anyone tried the Dunlop Sportmax Alpha-13 SP tyres140/70 R17 110/80 ZR18 ?

20. Godfrey

I dunno if anyone's tried them, not me for sure.
    Dunlop doesn't even list the Moto Guzzi V7 models in the "Does this fit my bike" selector for these tires.

A 140/70 section is going to be a tight fit on the back of a V7III ... It might or might not clear the swing arm, and is likely to need you to drop the final drive to get it on and off.

That rear tire is a size up from the stock size... I'd check the rolling radius to see how much it will quicken the steering up. There's some leeway there ... My Racer has the front end lowered by 10mm on the stanchions and David suggested that the more aggressive riders have lowered it by 20mm without problems. 10mm quickens up the steering response just right, makes it more neutral. I'll probably someday try 20mm just for the amusement factor, but I tend to like slightly "lazy" steering response.