Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Radial Tire Thread

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Bncprf, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. harris

harris Just got it firing!

Just wondered. They’re probably what im going to try when these pirellis are done. Although I may look into fitting the v9 swingarm and lacing some proper sized rims onto some v7 hubs so I can run 120/17 and 160/17 tyres, we’ll see. Maybe I should’ve bought the v9 and changed the tank and seat since I’m now modifying my bike anyway which was never the plan when I bought it but they do get under your skin and I cant see me getting rid of my v7 unless they throw that new v85 engine in something other than an “adventure bike”

2. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

Moto Guzzis always seem made for modification and customization. Or is it me? :D

I fully expect that the V85 motor and main frame structure will at some point surface in a more sporty road-cafe bike along the lines of the LeMans and Racer. Probably nicely up-market with higher-end brakes, forks, and suspension direct from the factory. That will prove mighty tempting when/if it appears.

If you need a set of hubs, well, I have full OEM Racer spoke wheel assemblies available for sale. Not many miles on 'em. Just sayin' ... ;)

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

140/80-17 will fit, you have to remove the final drive each time to fit. I use this size on my Racer rental with the correct width rim for that size. You cannot use a V7 hub on the V9 swingarm, unless you machine the V9 drive. Not saying it can't be done, but far from simple or easy without talking internal space issues. The V9 has only cast wheels (no hubs - already thought about that), however Kineo does sell a 17" front/rear option for the V9.

4. egschade

egschade Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I still haven't mounted the MT-60's - too much work and back still buggered. Have you done your's yet? If so how do they feel?

5. drawnverybadly

drawnverybadly Just got it firing!

What tire pressures are you guys running with the Conti RA3's?
    I installed the Contis on a 2012 V7 Classic, 110 front and 130 rear, currently have them at 35psi front and rear. First impressions are pretty good, but nothing life-changing the way other guys here seem to feel. They feel good the way putting new tires on a bike feel. One thing I did notice was the rubber on the new tires do feel way more soft and malleable in my hand compared to new Pirelli Sport Demons, almost the way Dunlop Q3 rubber compound feels.

6. GT-Rx®

34F/36R
    If you are mainly city riding, you probably won’t feel much difference. The revelations you are reading about is with the twisty road fun. You should see a much greater tire tread life though, if nothing else.

Poppe likes this.
  7. Godfrey

I agree, that matches my sensations with them vs the Pirellis. It's when I have twisty roads to play on that they really feel FAR better.

8. Stradagene

Stradagene Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Concerning city riding, my earliest impressions of the RA IIIs were:
    I still find it true that they're a bit more unstable than the Pirelli Sport Demons when rolling at super slow speeds - kind of something you can see a bit of in congested city traffic.

But, yes, every other situation... significantly better. And particularly through the twisties.

Poppe and Godfrey like this.
  9. Godfrey

Hmm. I haven't noticed this at all. Perhaps it's pressure related .. I'm running 36/38 psi, not 34/36 so far.

10. Neville

Neville Just got it firing!

I finally got around to buying and fitting some Conti RA3s to my v7ii Racer. The original Sport Demon's had done 2,900 miles, and the handling had noticeably deteriorated. The Sport Demons had always been terrible at following any grooves or joints in the road surface, but recently they had developed a weave from the rear above 60mph in sweeping corners, and the front felt like it was going to tuck on tight turns. Ive gone for the 130/80 rear and the 110/80 front, as recommend by Todd, and coincidentally had settled on the same pressures of 34/36.
    Tool the bike out today for a 60 mile ride on country roads and got the tyres nicely scrubbed in. They have transformed the feel of the bike, I feel much more confident in fast sweepers. The bike always felt a little vague in fast turns before, and I was always having to think ahead, I never felt confident that if a situation arose where I needed to change line or brake mid turn, that the bike would do what I wanted. Now it feel much more direct and connected, but now can feel that the shocks could be better, so they are next on the wish list.

Trout, TimmyTheHog and Stradagene like this.
  11. egschade

And I finally got around to installing the Pirelli MT-60's and put a couple hundred miles on them. At very low speed I can feel the lugs on the rear but it's a total non-issue above 10 mph. At first they felt a little tipsy compared to the Demons but with a couple hours and miles they have set up nicely. The tipsy is now neutral and the bike confidently drops into turns. The traction has been fine and the tread definitely saved my butt when I encountered some mid-coner gravel. The MT-60's slipped then gripped much better than the Deamons had in similar situations which is exactly why I installed them. Have also taken them on some gravel and dirt roads with confidence the OEM tires did not offer. The bias rear / radial front does not seem to be an issue as both ends feel predictable at my usual pace. All in all I'm very happy with the performance and look.
    semi rough 1.jpg

BenRCMC and roadscum like this.
  12. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

yup, when I had stock demon, I wasn't sure is either the tire or the shock that were soft...

Now I got Conti RA3 which are so much more planted, once I get past 85 MPH (don't come arrest me), my bike starts to wiggle from the ass end...

check for loose bolts and nothing...the only thing that could be contributing was the shock...ya...that stock shock is "shockingly" when going thru corner high speed...

13. GT-Rx®

Geometry and suspension. Drop the forks 10-15mm and that will help, the rest requires good suspension components.

roadscum and TimmyTheHog like this.
  14. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Awesome! I will try that when I get a chance!

15. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

I to had that 'ass end wiggle' on my V7 III, not only at high speed but when pushed hard into a corner even at lower speed. Emulators in the forks helped a little but better shocks completely cured the problem. I choose not to raise the forks in the triple tree because I was happy with the turn in and didn't want to quicken things up at the risk of reduced stability at higher speed. The RA 3's did wonders for improved turn in and feedback to the handlebars.
    With emulators, new shocks, and the RA 3 the bike ride comfort, control, and safety have moved to a much higher level..... Soooo NICE!!

Paul

16. cadyfatcat

cadyfatcat Just got it firing!

Getting a set of the Conti RA3s put on today. Below is a shot of the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II rear radial after 8.5K miles: totally worn down, lasted a lot longer than the first pair of Pirelli Sport Demons did. Excited to compare with the full radial front and back setup and the performance of the RA3s. The Scorpions were some of the best all around tires I have ridden on any motorcycle I've owned - was a tough decision not to get another pair of them, but figured I needed to give the Conti's a shot too. After putting some miles on them will report back.

[​IMG]

Bill Hagan and Michael Boeglin like this.
  17. Neville

Neville Just got it firing!

I dropped the forks 10mm when I fitted the Mupo cartridge emulators, need better rear shocks now.

18. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

A new pair of radials for the V7: Bridgestone Battlax Adventure A41 - it is a 90/10
    Also new - Bridgestone Sport Touring T31 - They have a front to fit, but not a rear. Road tire.
    Has anyone tried them?

Dan

19. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

Didn't like the 30 on my versys. Dead feeling. Use the Contis.

20. egschade

Along with installing the MT-60's I added stiffer progressive rate Ikon springs to the front and 20mm longer Hagon shocks to the back. The bike still feels very planted but with easier turn in. Sits a bit higher too which is not a bad thing when I put the MT-60s to work on gravel and dirt roads. Anybody know where to get an engine guard / bash plate? Plastic or metal would work to deflect rocks the tire might throw.