• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Radial tyred Tonti,s

Shrek

Tuned and Synch'ed
Image Is anyone using radial tyres on their 18 inch Tonti wheels?
If so,you will already know what i discovered.
I have fitted Radials to both my Lemans 1000 and Cali 1100.
What a transformation these modern 0 deg steel belted radials make to our Tonti bikes.

Lemans
Continental classic attack 120 90 18R rear
Metzler Z8 110 80 18R front
Nobody makes a 100 90 18 front that i am aware of but Conti make a 90 90 18R.
The 110 front is probably made for a 3 inch rim as it measures 113mm off the rim but narrows to 103mm once fitted to the std 2.5 inch rim.It is a tight squeeze to get past the the mudguard bolts but has plenty of clearance once fitted.
While the steering does initially feel a little heavier while going slow.Once on the move this goes away somewhat and the Lemon feels like a different bike.
The steering is much more neutral and stable.Once tipped into a corner their is no more need to hold your line by countersteering.I was unaware i was,but now the bike holds it line with much more confidence and security.This may sound silly,but it feels like riding a modern bike with radial tyres.

California 1100
Pirelli angel Gt 110 80 18R front
Bridgestone battle wing BW 502 140 80 R17
These made a similiar improvement as the Lemans but didnt totally cure my Tonti weave in corners at higher speeds.

All of these tyres have as much grip or better than any bias plyed tyres i have tried.
My previously favorite tyre,the Bridestone Bt 45 has good grip but knowhere near the level of stability or confince that radials give me.They handle ok when new but quickly deteriorate as they wear.
They feel like bicycle tyres in their construction compared to how rigid the radials feel and there lies the reason,i believe for their superior handleing characteristics.
A worn radial handles better than a new cross ply imo.
They cost a little more,but well worth it for me and they give better mileage.
I never understood why my Lemons felt much heavier to push around in the shed than other japenese bikes and my daytona.The Radials now make it feel lighter which must mean they have less rolling resistance.This cant be a bad thing.
All pressures on my 3 Guzzi,s are now 36 psi front and 42 rear.This seems to work well.No problems with traction,wet or dry and decreased wear from lower pressures previously used.
Other than price,i cant really think of another negative other than availability in 18 inch sizes.
There are plenty of 17 radials to choose from.I have a Pirelli Scorpian trail 150 70 17R to go on the Cali next.
These so called dual purpose tyres,90 10 or 80 20 percent road/offroad radials work great on sealed bitumen.
There are plenty of 110 80 18R fronts available which work fine on 2.5 inch rims.Check for clearance on some models.The Conti 90 90 18 would be a wiser choice for 2.25 inch rims.
But the Conti classic attack is the only radial i could find in a 120 90 18 rear.
Conti also make great 18 inch race tyres according to Guzzigray.
I have never experienced any problems by having mismatched branded tryes front and rear.
I highly recommend trying radials for yourself,but,be warned,you wont wanna go back...

Pirelli reintroduced the Phantom (Sportscomp) radial last year. Comes in size 100/90 - 18 M/C 56H TL.
Pity they don't do an 18" rear to go with it.

Thanks for that Stevex.I didnt realize this tyre was a radial.
Strange how they make an 18" front but no rears?
I will have to try one with a Conti Classic rear.

My only input on this coming out of my Pro Racing career and onto a Jackal, is that after a few years and a swap to EV tubeless spoked wheels, I fitted radial (now defunct) Dunlop D205s. What amazing tires they were.
I've moved onto V11 Sport wider 17" wheels now, so many options there, but I am going to put on a set of the radial Scorpion Trail II's on my new Racer II (with my new Kineo wheel set with 17" front rim), though I'm not a fan of Pirelli, they're the only ones offering a matching set.

Image After some quick reserach,i am not so sure the 100/90/18 is a radial.
It doesnt have an R in its designation unlike the 17" sizes.
Pirelli,s spec sheets list it as a Bias tyre.

If you go here http://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorcycle/all-tyres/sheet/phantom-sportscomp
The 3rd bullet point down says
  • Radial carcass structure with a steel belt at 0° for stability and a great feeling of control even on the most demanding surfaces.
Edit: Took some finding but it appears you maybe right. Revzilla advertise these tyres but say the 18 incher is a cross ply. It seems a bit weird that Triumph are using this tyre on their new bikes, mixing the 18" cross ply on the front with a 17" radial on the back.

Last edited:
A little misleading Stevex.
I believe the 18" front is a crossply.All the 17" range are Radials,designated by the R in the size prefix.
I have never had an issue mixing cross plys with radials or different brands front to rear.
My race/road Daytona has a Dunlop race compound front and Pirelli sport touring rear.Handles great and never had a slide.My Lemans had a Rear Conti radial and Bt 45 crossply front.Much better than matching Bt45,s.
Although a radial will show up the inferior qualities of a cross ply.

My only input on this coming out of my Pro Racing career and onto a Jackal, is that after a few years and a swap to EV tubeless spoked wheels, I fitted radial (now defunct) Dunlop D205s. What amazing tires they were.
I've moved onto V11 Sport wider 17" wheels now, so many options there, but I am going to put on a set of the radial Scorpion Trail II's on my new Racer II (with my new Kineo wheel set with 17" front rim), though I'm not a fan of Pirelli, they're the only ones offering a matching set.

Curious why you went with the trail 2. When my Kineo's eventually show up I had bought the Angel GT to run on my configuration which is similar to yours. I run the trail 2s on my Stelvio and they do bite well when cornering. Is it because of the dual compound and maybe overall life of the tire?

Curious why you went with the trail 2. When my Kineo's eventually show up I had bought the Angel GT to run on my configuration which is similar to yours. I run the trail 2s on my Stelvio and they do bite well when cornering. Is it because of the dual compound and maybe overall life of the tire?
Per above, they are going on my Racer II, which uses a 130/80-17 rear tire. Pirelli Scorp II is the only radial matched set I have found with a 120/70-17 front, plus yes, the dual compound and set up for the Duc Multi and other higher-powered machines has my hopes up it's a good tire.

Kineo,s???
I havnt heard of them,but i am in the outback hanging off the bottom of the world.
Could you please elaborate.
What is their design type,material,weight,available sizes etc
Any info appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.
I did find some sites that sell Kineo,s who list available sizes,details,prices etc
Not sure if they were the OEM site.
It looks like they are only available for some modern guzzi models.
I cant find any listings for 18" Tonti sizes?
What bikes are you guys using these on?
Thanks for the scorpian trail 11 link.
I have a rear ready to fit next but no 18" inch fronts it seems.

I adapted a set of sport wheels to my Cali. Bit of a squeeze to get the bigger back tire in place but there is ample room using the wide swingarm. Gives you a lot better selection of different brands. With the stock rims Perelli Sport Demons were about the only descent choice.

QLTJWXnKufVSHhab66XfT2PybkziT8_FAwlPQW4dsxwhrbDm5lwwJw-WOsLhELQIicBqSMjv1sBpw0NM5Bf_YpRUBI4MZp2BVQ-gtiPFqX82tJduWzy9_flQ_FA2tXRfgXiYK0K1r4miosix3Myko3JWM3fg55xSltanBfOqKYDgFtJanWIp70iFyNEo9LGnpi7dE-WDCpTC_DEvTmM8Nlt-BlBZTTn0fQZlhqcLOnzw-PDSx_QKQQ_mHziP2IVUAiHWll2l-dCCk_STav7ZG-LUXT09JublyAW6ialSCXqymmo5Qz8Th-rw65nGbXT-F69Ufcc4Hr2UY12GL3ixm_7f7q4NmBk44F2juBfLktJd9PBmB_0KkHsNWBuQanlsYgL8J6BV9b07LvHtAi7SVztLub7J1pu1rcB_rO_O7w8AkN8JdVJK4MAUfSe3OkjCWjFI-w6KvBSElP4JQn6fkByv3g1J6WPdi_cFEmPnpqpIshh15SQdC-uAcnWqhvHLR7QvqFIDC4cdOzhFh0LWrthy51QEKWuU9xLggu2686oZnR8etQLi4wh8GOZS2pqpnvFd=w1079-h809-no

What a good idea.
I have my Daytona parked next to the Cali and it never dawned on me.
I will have to compare weight differences with my steel rims to see if its worthwhile for me.
I dont have a problem with sourcing many radials in the standard sizes though.
Is there any problems/differences in fitting them.

Image A A very unthoughtful throng you have :)
Those Kineo,s are very sexy but my eyes are bigger tham my wallet,it seems.
Thanks for the link.
You have been very busy with that stone.
It looks good in each carnation and awesome as it stands now.Well done.

I have too many modified toys already to start messing with my workhorse.(Cali)
So i shall stick with my std spoked steel rimmed anchors with matching radials.

As per your tip,i am about to remove my centre stand and made a ss workshop stand as theres no point carrying it around if i only use it in the shop.

Back