• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rear brake fluid jettisoned

ssmith996

Tuned and Synch'ed
I returned from a 250 mile ride in 90 F degree weather. Over night, the rear brake reservoir decided to empty its contents on the garage floor. I certainly wasn't working the brakes very hard during the ride. Any idea what would cause this system to purge? Thanks!

What Raven says, it's a sealed system, can't leak unless a hose has come loose, a seal has gone or something has cracked. Brake fluid will also strip paint so wash it off if you haven't already.

Guys, thanks for the quick replies! I know this is going to sound a little whacked but... it appears the leak is coming from the breather vent tube and may be oil. I just assumed (yeah, I know it is a sin to do that..) it was brake fluid because I could not see any in the rear reservoir and the substance on the ground looked reddish in color. I removed the cover and there is fluid in the reservoir. There is no oily substance on any other pieces under the bike. The reservoir could be a little more transparent, in my opinion. The rear brake still functions fine. I have no experience with this Moto Guzzi-spec oil weight and had the dealership perform the oil changes, so I am not familiar with its appearance. I had the oil changed about 2,300 miles ago, so I (once again) assumed it would be dirtier in appearance. From what I have gathered from reading other posts on the forum, it is not very straight forward on checking the engine oil level. I do not have a wheel chock (yet), so does this make it a two-person job to check the oil level? I apologize in advance for my ignorance in caring for my Guzzi. It is my first and I do love it! As I mentioned in my original post, it was a rather hot day (90+ F) and the engine may have been rather warm when I parked it in the garage. Could that much oil have been pushed into the air box? Once again guys, thank you very much for the helpful advice as I get educated on these great motorcycles!
Oil Puddle Rear Brake Reservior Underside

Looks from the pic like the breather tube has melted due to the heat of the exhaust and let the oil out (is it touching?). Checking the oil level is easy and you don't need a wheel chock. General wisdom seems to be that the oil level should be mid-way between max and min levels on the dip stick (which is about 3.5 liters after draining sump and changing filter). Do it when the engine is cold, sit on the bike and get it upright, reach down to the left hand side dipstick and pull it out, clean it with tissue, put it back in (but do not screw it in), then pull it out again and try to read the level. It's a bad design and really hard to read. There's a thread about it here with some pics https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/engine-oil-check.16592/

Looks from the pic like the breather tube has melted due to the heat of the exhaust and let the oil out (is it touching?). Checking the oil level is easy and you don't need a wheel chock. General wisdom seems to be that the oil level should be mid-way between max and min levels on the dip stick (which is about 3.5 liters after draining sump and changing filter). Do it when the engine is cold, sit on the bike and get it upright, reach down to the left hand side dipstick and pull it out, clean it with tissue, put it back in (but do not screw it in), then pull it out again and try to read the level. It's a bad design and really hard to read. There's a thread about it here with some pics https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/engine-oil-check.16592/

Thanks Paul! I will check the location of the vent tube relative to the exhaust.

Thanks guys. After further review, the substance on the ground was engine oil coming from the breather. It looks too clean to have 2000 miles on that oil. Also, I am not used to seeing red colored lubricants in the engine. Thanks again for helping out a new Moto Guzzi owner!

Back